You probably didn't miss me...

Ssnake

• Members
You still have a CRT? Time to put it in a museum and get something a little less ancient. ;)

I don't think that the reasons why I opted for a CRT three years ago have completely vanished. 22" LC displays are still costly - admittedly their prices have dropped a lot - I still don't have a graphics card that can run all my games at the native resolution of these large LCD monitors, those that are good for fast movements on the screen create a delay of up to five frames between action input and actual execution, and those that don't buffer aren't very good for fast movements.

Yes, I know that LCDs offer much bigger contrast levels, no doubt about it. They're using less desk space (where it doesn't count - depth on my desk isn't a scarce commodity, it's width), they're using less electricity (but I guess I can still use my CRT for a few more years before the higher electricity costs approach the price for the LCD investment).

In short, the current CRT fulfills all my needs.

In short, the current CRT fulfills all my needs.

Snap, I've got a 19" samsung that must be eight years old, but I don't like anything else for photo editing, especially judging sharpness. There are LCD screens that offer similar quality, but they are well out of my price range, and I keep buying other stuff like SB Pro...

out of your price range?

thats strange, LCDs are dirt cheap nowadays. for the price of 5 games, you can get a 22 inch LCD screen..

Indeed they are, and they're absolutely fine for most purposes (in fact I could purchase one at a preferential rate through work) but they are maddeningly inconsistent for judging image sharpness. The inherently superior contrast can render soft photographic images sharper than they really are. It's a big deal working with DSLR output as sharpening is a fairly precise discipline. To get the necessary quality means considerably more expense if you're talking TFT, so for now I make do.

J

• Moderators

Well, I replaced my CRT so I could have more desk space and I ended up with so much extra space that I bought a second LCD to have dual monitor setup. But the main reason I got rid of my 21" CRT turning the room into an oven and microwaving the front of my face (ok the latter is an exaggeration). ;)