Dongle goes dead

Holman

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my dongle.

I updated to 4.0 when it was released, and I was able to happily run it with no problem.  I notice today, however, that the Codemeter icon on the Windows taskbar is red instead of blue.  When I mouse over it I see "1 CmContainer (disabled) connected."  Trying to run the game tells me that my license is not active.

Removing and re-inserting the dongle fixes the problem, but it might (or might not) be red again the next time I boot the computer.  I notice that it's good for a couple of boots but then goes red again.  (I bought a new 3.0 license and dongle just a few months ago, and I noticed this same problem then but never got around to mentioning it here, so I assume this means it's not a 4.0-only problem.)

Is there a fix for this issue?  Failing that, is there a way to "wake up" the dongle without removing and reinserting it?  (My USB ports are on the back of the machine and are kind of a pain to reach.)  Do I need a replacement dongle?

Thanks!

• Members

I can but speculate: CodeMeter sticks react rather sensitive to low voltage conditions on the USB bus. This may happen in more often in the current USB port into which you plugged it in (some ports are worse than others). Wiby Systems recommends using a powered hub, or plugging tje stick into one of the USB ports that are directly connected to the mainboard.

In addition, I can but recommend trying a firmware upgrade. Start the CodeMeter Control Center, locate the button with the circular arrow on the right, click it, and follow the on-screen instructions. Or make it a habit to unplug the CM stick after use.

I had this happen to me just now. It's the first time it has happened since I installed 4.0 five days ago. It never happened before today and I have not changed anything else other than doing regular updates to Windows. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit, obviously). I always leave my CM stick plugged in. The only AV program I have running is MS Security Essentials. I use my PC on a non-administrator account 99% of the time. Unplugging the stick and reinserting it instantly solved the problem. The stick is in a powered USB port on the back of the computer and my Saitek joystick was not plugged in when the problem occurred.

I am not sure if/how many times the computer has been restarted lately. My wife tends to restart it occasionally without telling me for whatever reason. (I think it has something to do with her favorite game, Elder Scrolls Online. :S)

CM event file attached.

SeanP_CM_Events.txt

Edited by Lt DeFault
More info.

• Members

Well, I can only recommend to try a different USB port, and/or a different PC, and if it "stays dead" we may need to replace it. These failures a much more rare these days than 10 years ago ... but they can still happen, so I wouldn't rule it out either. But try to confirm it first.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2016 at 7:52 PM, Holman said:

Thanks for the replies!

I'm on a desktop, so power isn't a problem.  I notice that "USB Selective Suspend" is enabled in power settings.  I'll disable it and see if the USB stays active.

Just stopping in to confirm that this solved my problem.  I disabled "USB Selective Suspend," and my dongle has been active ever since.