T-55AM vs T-55AM2

Maj.Hans

I'm pretty sure they only had AM2 and then in the low hundreds. Tankograd's the source, I'll try to dig it out when I get home.

CORRECTION: It appears 40 of the NVA's 281 upgraded T-55AM2 were of the 'B' variant equipped with the Bastion ATGM (NVA T-55AM/2s obviously used different designations to Steel Beasts). Here's the link to the relevant Tankograd publication page:

NVA-02%2002.jpg

I'm not sure if the AM2B(P) mentioned was also ATGM capable, as it was a Czech-built version for export only.

Edited by Panzer_Leader

• Members
18 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

It appears 40 of the NVA's 281 upgraded T-55AM2 were of the 'B' variant equipped with the Bastion ATGM ...

...which would make it one tank battalion out of seven. I don't know if they were all in a single battalion (sounds likely), or if all seven tank battalions received two platoons that were ATGM capable (sounds dubious).

One tank battalion per Soviet doctrine has 41 tanks, so 4 companies x 10 tanks + 1 battalion commander's tank (with no missiles, to account for the one that's missing).

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 0:55 AM, Ssnake said:

...which would make it one tank battalion out of seven. I don't know if they were all in a single battalion (sounds likely), or if all seven tank battalions received two platoons that were ATGM capable (sounds dubious).

One tank battalion per Soviet doctrine has 41 tanks, so 4 companies x 10 tanks + 1 battalion commander's tank (with no missiles, to account for the one that's missing).

41 only for tank BN of the MechRgts. TankRgt BN had 31...

• Members

As the Release Notes describe, the T-55A has been made playable with crew positions, T-55AM and AM2 are listed as "vehicles without crew positions". Likewise you'll notice that in the Mission Editor, all vehicles with crew positions are listed with black text in the New Unit... context menu, while vehicles without crew positions are presented in grey text.

12 hours ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

Nope, neither is playable.  

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

As the Release Notes describe, the T-55A has been made playable with crew positions, T-55AM and AM2 are listed as "vehicles without crew positions". Likewise you'll notice that in the Mission Editor, all vehicles with crew positions are listed with black text in the New Unit... context menu, while vehicles without crew positions are presented in grey text.

Thank you. I read the release notes soon after. My mistake.

However, T72B m.2012, Leo 2A6 DE are listed as playables but I cannot find them in instant action or tank range?!

Tried the T-62 yesterday and now I know why the Arabs lost the war in 1967 and 1973. Without laser range finder it's a pain to see where shells impact and adjust the aim accordingly. The T-55 has a higher hitting probability because you still can see where shells land.

37 minutes ago, []_--__[]KITT said:

Thank you. I read the release notes soon after. My mistake.

However, T72B m.2012, Leo 2A6 DE are listed as playables but I cannot find them in instant action or tank range?!

Tried the T-62 yesterday and now I know why the Arabs lost the war in 1967 and 1973. Without laser range finder it's a pain to see where shells impact and adjust the aim accordingly. The T-55 has a higher hitting probability because you still can see where shells land.

The 72B1 M2012 and  2A6 arent in there because theyre so similar to the B1 M1984 and the 2A5.

31 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

The 72B1 M2012 and  2A6 arent in there because theyre so similar to the B1 M1984 and the 2A5.

I thought so too. It's alright but the 72B1 m.2012 has those ERA blocks which would be handy in instant battle. Not sure if m.1984 has ERA blocks.

Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated!

7 minutes ago, []_--__[]KITT said:

I thought so too. It's alright but the 72B1 m.2012 has those ERA blocks which would be handy in instant battle. Not sure if m.1984 has ERA blocks.

Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated!

You're correct that the M2012 has ERA, and the M1984 does not.

Hopefully in the next patch we'll have a playable M1985 with ERA blocks as well.

22 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

You're correct that the M2012 has ERA, and the M1984 does not.

Hopefully in the next patch we'll have a playable M1985 with ERA blocks as well.

Leo 2A6 has a more powerful gun too if I'm not mistaken.

But the true value of these new tank additions would be playing them in scenarios. I'm sure scenarios will be made for them.

For the first time, SB Pro PE can now simulate manual gunnery tank battle with the Sho't Kals, T-55As and, T-62s. Would be very interesting to play them both in single player and multiplayer.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

1 hour ago, Maj.Hans said:

Much to my surprise, the instant action and tank range scenarios appear to be password protected for some reason, making it impossible to edit one to use a new vehicle.... ¬¬

I have to wonder why they're passworded...

Well I presume the Range Ones are to ensure people's scores are consistent across the community.

Not much point in having the AI gunnery rating related to the Range score if the baseline could be edited by each player.

If you* can edit the Range scenario so all your* targets are say static, side on, in the open at 200m and mine is a normal, unedited scenario, then presumably you'd* get a better rating and your* AI troops would perform better than mine. :)

* Not meaning you personally. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I presume the Range Ones are to ensure people's scores are consistent across the community.

Not much point in having the AI gunnery rating related to the Range score if the baseline could be edited by each player.

If you* can edit the Range scenario so all your* targets are say static, side on, in the open at 200m and mine is a normal, unedited scenario, then presumably you'd* get a better rating and your* AI troops would perform better than mine. :)

* Not meaning you personally. :)

Or you run the range until you get a 100% gunnery score?

2 hours ago, Marko said:

slightly off topic

But a T-55 Enigma would be great for mission building

I have heard its armour package was pretty good.

th.jpg

The armor package was a simple, and I mean extremely simple, primtivie even, NERA type armor.

1415740023-t-55-enigma-composite-armor-c

Edited by Damian90