Unusual episodes of death and survival

lavictoireestlavie

The M1A1 case looks to be a non penetrating hit along the width of the track. While this might save the hull (very borderline maybe), it should only do so on the sacrifice of the track component. It isn't likely that it would remain attached/functional after stopping a 120mm class AP or HEAT round. (On the other hand, a penetration 'thin ways' should only result in a small hole and a mostly functional track in some cases...

Same applies to using the engine/gearbox in an armour array - if it 'saves' the vehicle, it would usually by necessity do so by being heavily damaged in the process.

• Members

It's difficult to say much without knowing the engagement range. Also the question that I would ask is, if you shoot these places a hundred times, what's the outcome in all of these 100 cases. Are they all similarly lucky, or was this the rare exception?

We have a chance-based damage system. The chances may be low, but given enough time there will inevitably be a few cases that will appear incredibly lucky. The relevant question is, are there too many cases of such luck? There is a certain amount of "reporting bias" at work as well. People don't bother reporting cases where the result is entirely plausible and, ultimately, rather boring. That's not to say that there isn't a problem. Could be. But I need more information/you need more cases to demonstrate that there's something fishy. If you can, set up a simple scenario where you can shoot targets in the same location at similar ranges in the same place and then check the sum of all individual test shots. That will help us a lot to weed out isolated flukes so we can spend more time on the serious cases.

The not damaged track, protected hull side is an extremely common result of flanking fires, resulting from very oblique impact of a very thin surface of less than the resulting LOS thickness in depth.

I have *no* real issue with the protection of the hull per-se, but it should be an either/or rather than a possibility of not damaging the track, and not reaching the hull with high penetration large weapons.

Even happens with T55 being hit by M829A3 or DM53 in this area in a centre of mass, clean flanking hit. The hit vector is stopped in the track, doesn't reach the hull. Tank continues moving. In a 'hard target' firing range of 35 assorted T55/BMP/BTR80 I usually get 2-3 of these.

Edited by GSprocket