Drowning Tanks when auto routed!

haraldhe

Tanks are drowning in water when they are auto routed via the "new route" commands and they have to cross bridges. This was the case in 3.028 and it is still the case in 4.0.

( I assign a new route by tracing roads on the map while [shift] -key pressed down.)

This heavy bug makes all maps with bridges that have to be crossed, unusable for single player gaming. Player has to cross almost every vehicle personally, else vehicles drive into the water and get stuck or drowned.

Am I the only one experiencing this bottleneck?!:$

• Members

...and to be clear, it's absolutely INTENTIONAL that if you attempt to cross a bridge in line formation things will get seriously wrong. This is a failure in giving adequate formation change orders at the right moment, and a training application should expose such student errors.

• Members
8 hours ago, haraldhe said:

I will post a video with some examples asap. 

Well, we KNOW that they can fall into the water.

Our definition of the user's responsibility is to make tactical decisions. Formation changes ARE a tactical decision. Failing to apply an adequate formation in a given tactical situation will usually result in problems. You don't attempt to cross a minefield in line formation either, and then complain that the tanks left and right of the breach lane blow up.

If you need to have a company+ sized formation to cross a certain bridge in your scenario, create a waypoint about 100m in front of the bridge. Create a March route across the bridge, plus some 200 meters to account for the length of your column. Change the tactics to Assault to make the vehicles determined to complete the crossing even if they come under fire. Add at least one more route away from the end point of a bridge crossing to avoid congestion at a critical location. Save your PLN file for future use.

Then route all units to the initial waypoint - problem solved.

• Members

Note that the method above works almost identically also for breaching minefields (you'd rather pick a "breach" route tactic than "assault").

When making a plan (that is, entering a route for "a" unit), YOU are assuming the responsibility of being that unit's platoon leader. Whenever you plot routes in Steel Beasts, you need to apply the mindset of a platoon leader - even if you must handle an entire company - because that's how the A.I. in Steel Beasts is designed to work.

Ok that makes sense actually.....I will try that tonight with one of the new downloadable 4.0 scenarios "The battle of 97 Eastings". Thanks for the support and fast reply.

(By the way version 4.0 rocks and especially infantry behavior is better.:ph34r: A crew-able Chieftain and Merkava would be great too. Leopards 2.X need a 3D detailed makeover to get them up to par with the 3d quality of the Chieftain etc.)

PROBLEM SOLVED 

Crossing bridges in Assault mode, solved my problem. All tanks cross quickly as they should :D . If I only tried this before earlier, what an idiot I am .....:S 

Ssnake you can delete this forum thread if you wish I guess :$

On 8/15/2016 at 9:05 AM, Major duck said:

If you search this forum Gibson have given some pointers on how to do that aka controlling a AI platoon of vehicles as they are able to do some stuff but they mostly follow orders to the extream 9_9

MD

Its actually a PDF in the downloads section but here's the link:

Have a look at the WIKI sometime, lots of info there. Heres some on routes, of specific interest is the section on 'route properties'

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Moving_Units_On_Routes

Worth mentioning here that some of the behaviours relating to infantry dismounting at waypoints and on routes are not true to the best of my knowledge. Could do with correction so as not to confuse folks.

Cheers

Edited by Bond_Villian