Map locations for Dummies!

Socali909

Hello fellow Tank Simmers! I have been playing Steel Beast for years and one thing I have had problems ever since I left Windows XP in the rear view mirror. How do you get the my maps folder to show up in the folder? I have done everything the forms ask I have hit the hidden check box in the  properties box. Please help all of us you can not find this folder or a step by step with screen shots to help us out. I have gone through the help forms and did what the fellow simmers told us to do but can not make it happen. Thanks to all of you!

• Members

Simply type %APPDATA% in the address bar of the Windows Explorer Windo, and you're there. Then go to the "eSim Games" folder and work yourself down the folder tree structure.

This works with all the variables that we list in the User's Manual, Chapter 2 ("Installation"), section "File Structure". Best of all, the method doesn't care if you have Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10.

OK, but there are two appdatas...one in roaming and one in local.  Both have eSim directories and I am not sure which one is correct.  The local one has a dir called temptex...is that the one?  It is the only  dir in the folder.  On Win10. 

edit 1: OK, I think I figured it out.  I was looking at the XP/7 directions.

edit 2: When I type in %appdata% it takes to the appdata/roaming.  The temptex folder is in local.  Is that correct?

edit 3:  Just found a folder in C called ProgramData.  It appears that map and scenarios are being written there.  My game is on an SSD (E:).  So I have my eSims Steel Beasts program directory on E:, ProgramData with eSims folder on C:, Appdata Roaming with an eSims directory, and Appdata Local with an eSims directory.  Should I have that many.  I have tried to align this with the manual and with the stickied thread on paths.  I just doesn't line up.  It appears that My main game runs from my SSD, but is storing all maps and scenarios in C:\ProgramData.  Is that how it's supposed to be?

Edited by thewood

1 hour ago, Socali909 said:

Hello fellow Tank Simmers! I have been playing Steel Beast for years and one thing I have had problems ever since I left Windows XP in the rear view mirror. How do you get the my maps folder to show up in the folder? I have done everything the forms ask I have hit the hidden check box in the  properties box. Please help all of us you can not find this folder or a step by step with screen shots to help us out. I have gone through the help forms and did what the fellow simmers told us to do but can not make it happen. Thanks to all of you!

If you see my tribulations with this...look for a directory called ProgramData in your C: drive.  Check if a map directory exists there.  I am testing it out now.

Edited by thewood

Generally, but I went by the sticky thread first and that was where my confusion came in.  It diverges from the manual a little in semantics...I think.  Either way, I sorted it.  There are just too many eSims directories floating around.  I have hundreds of programs and haven't seen that with any other app.

Edited by thewood

• Members

...maybe it is because we chose to conform to the Microsoft programming guidelines for multi-user environments, with shared and with private resources. The advantage is that even users with restricted access privileges can run SB Pro, that if you redirect system variables the resources will move accordingly, etc.

In short, the way we're doing this eases the administrative work of (army) IT departments to integrate our software into their IT security environment.