Maps bigger than the normal size in SB PRO

Swordsmandk

I am building a campaign for this autumn. 

I have run into a problem with the map size. Prior to 4.0 I could get guys with mil spec version to help me with a 50*50 size map for overview in the battle area. The red CO is able to choose attack location from this map.

BUT, 

now we have changed top 4.0 I cannot get the mil spec guys to help since they cant open the map in their versions.

Its a custom map based on the Scania one, but heavily modified for mechanized battles. More trees and stuff like that.

Any solutions to this.

On 8/17/2016 at 11:32 AM, Swordsmandk said:

I am building a campaign for this autumn. 

I have run into a problem with the map size. Prior to 4.0 I could get guys with mil spec version to help me with a 50*50 size map for overview in the battle area. The red CO is able to choose attack location from this map.

BUT, 

now we have changed top 4.0 I cannot get the mil spec guys to help since they cant open the map in their versions.

Its a custom map based on the Scania one, but heavily modified for mechanized battles. More trees and stuff like that.

Any solutions to this.

A work around for planing could be on a real or a Google maps version. Plan on this, then when the SB map comes avaib for that area just place units there. Making a plan and drawing graphics will work for plans and getting commanders into the planning phase, which is granted not all that easy >:(, the easy part is starting your AFV and shooting shit:D

Edited by 12Alfa

• 1 month later...
  • Members

SB Pro PE is designed for company team level scenarios. There's plenty of maneuver space for that purpose. You're usually cramming several battalions into them and are then surprised that this limits your maneuver space. Well, we sell the classroom version with the option for bigger maps, and it's the classroom version that generates the profits that are needed to keep the Personal Edition running as a viable business activity.

So - no: There's no chance that this will change anytime soon, I'm afraid to say.

• Members
  1. If it's over quicker, you can play more sessions on one evening
  2. The amount of "action time" will increase, relatively speaking
  3. You could have more people manning the same platoon, which brings in a totally different dynamic to the player-to-player interaction
  4. Dismounted mech operations could be performed in a more detailed manner since you'd have more players to distribute command responsibility
  5. The ONE bridgelayer/artillery observer/ambulance/recovery vehicle would REALLY be your mission-critical asset that you need to protect at all costs

Bigger scenarios do not necessarily mean "better gameplay".

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest fix for next time (can't help with the current issue) is to:

1. Ask the person with the Mil Spec version to create the custom sized map.

2. Then do your map editing in 4.006.

The issue you have is, AIUI, you invested a bunch of time editing the map in 4.xxx and then tried to get the large version made.

If you edit the size first (via the Mil Spec version) and then edit the content on the resulting large map (using your version) you should be fine.

Last time I checked the opposed rates of advance - even achieving a 3:1 ratio advantage in the attack the advance to contact speed should be around the 5.5 KPH in open terrain.  If the gound has hasty or prepared defence this gets slower.  20km / 20km should provide sufficient space for the time being...

If you are whizzing through then the enemy are too easy...

Yes but what the OP was after was basically a campaign map, with the individual scenarios happening on sections of it.

Say Delay battle on the Northern section, Area Defence in the Centre, Counter-attack back in the North, etc.

We have done similar for the last few "Rolling Thunders" and it certainly aides SA if you do an advance to contact across a piece of dirt that you then do a delay on (albeit going the other way). :)