Thermal depth of field

Rotareneg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a great app "Xpadder" for program all the joystick buttons without touching the default settings in sims. So I never have to reconfigure games. Just have my settings saved in Xpadder for each game with profiles ;) Even you can have one profile for each tank with different button to key settings

Edited by Vikingo

51 minutes ago, Retro said:

There should already be commands to increase/decrease the focus (by default it's mapped to numpad * and numpad /) - cannot you just assign these to your joystick' s buttons?

I spent yesterday like 10 mins going up & down the list... To no avail. Ah well, ill try again once im home today.

22 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Steel Beasts has been exceptionally generous with the thermal quality, and still is. 

I agree ....with one exception.....the WBG-X on the Leo's (and Marder) in game has a very grainy/pixelated image .....of a quality so poor that its of little use beyond 1500m . It actually seem to have become even worse in 4.0 ?.....though maybe that's just me.

IRL and in a dry low humidity environment it actually provides an excellent and quite crisp image out well beyond 2000 meters .  In heavy rain or fog it IS basically useless though. 

• Members

Well, that's how it is, with thermal imagers. How many hours did we lose on the live fire range because of dense fog in the morning, right up to exactly turret roof height. And with sufficiently dense rain or snowfall ... well, the good news is that an enemy without TI can't see any better in those conditions. So that's something. ¬¬

The T-80U indeed do not have a thermal sight, only passive/active IR night sight, however some T-80U's after upgrades were equipped with PLISA thermal sight, based on Thales Catherine thermal camera, while in the past there were also small series with Buran thermal camera, but majority of them still do not have either of them only passive/active night vision. The original T-90's with cast turret, in majority of cases did not had thermal sights either, only passive/active IR night sights, in this canse Shtora-1 dazzlers can be turned in to illumination mode, then only a single dazzler is working illuminating for the IR sight. The T-90A and T-90S both with welded turret, have a thermal sight ESSA based on Thales Catherine thermal camera.

Edited by Damian90

• Members
7 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

I hope AI units with TI are also going to suffer in performance?

It's been a while but I seem to remember the T80U (in SB1) and the T90 could see everything very clearly...

All computer-controlled units with thermal imagers will suffer from bad weather in exactly the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

not exaclty related to depth of field, but im wondering why do the leopard 2A6 and 2E  have poorer quality thermals ( looks same as 1st gen flir  found on 1980s m1a1 & leo2a4) compared to the 2nd gen on the m1a2 sep v1?  would  they really only have dated 1st gen thermals irl for a 21st century tank. why was such a decision made? any second genration thermals fitted? I read somewhere that 3rd gen attica TIS which was being installed on the Leo2a7 were going to be retroffited on older leos.

Edited by Kev2go

• Members
  1. We may not have been told the true sensor resolution, or
  2. We may have made a mistake, or
  3. Maybe the old one was considered "good enough" for the Spanish Army requirements

The German 2A6s are upgraded 2A5s which in turn are all upgraded 2A4s (though from 2A4 production lot 8, ca. 1988). Here I suspect that the old ones were kept purely for cost reasons.

37 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, but I see no problem with that. You simply replace it with a better model, but why hurry with the transition if electronic equipment tends to become only cheaper over time.

Additionally to that, I would take the position that if you have a reliable thermal sight, even if it's low resolution, and your enemy has no thermal sights, you have a HUGE advantage.  It may be better to not spend that money on a needless upgrade, and save it for other more useful things.  Like funding your next generation of vehicle, upgrading older vehicles, or even adding thermals to tanks that just don't have it yet.

Would you rather put a better resolution thermal on your 2A4, or put a thermal on your 1A2 and make a 1A5...Hmmm....

4 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

Additionally to that, I would take the position that if you have a reliable thermal sight, even if it's low resolution, and your enemy has no thermal sights, you have a HUGE advantage.  It may be better to not spend that money on a needless upgrade, and save it for other more useful things.  Like funding your next generation of vehicle, upgrading older vehicles, or even adding thermals to tanks that just don't have it yet.

Would you rather put a better resolution thermal on your 2A4, or put a thermal on your 1A2 and make a 1A5...Hmmm....

no I would leave 2a4s as is, and apply  newer tis to 2a5/2a6 models.  as for leo1's id scrap them entirely, especially the ones prior the 1A5. I mean a leopards were never well armored, they were paper thin even in thier prime. :/ these newer tanks can stop unguided heat  RpG warheads from the front as well as some tank rounds.  if they get penetrated they have much better survivability. Ultimately why Canada decided to scrap thier Leo1s, and ASAP upgrade to the newer platform ( ended up being the 2a4 and some 2a6s) Thier leo1 deployment to afghanistan on 06 was a wakeup call, in 2007-08 they aquired 100 leopards 2s. 80 2a4s, and 20 2a6s, on the cheap from denmark whom were downsizing, and the latter on lease from germany.

Seriously though didnt germany already retire leo1s? I did read though they were planning to eventually refurbish all 2a4s to 2a6 standards, due to thier downsizing of thier tank fleet.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The German 2A6s are upgraded 2A5s which in turn are all upgraded 2A4s (though from 2A4 production lot 8, ca. 1988). Here I suspect that the old ones were kept purely for cost reasons.

In that case a m1a2 is just a "upgraded" m1a1......, after all the majority of m1A2 Seps of them arent factory fresh but refurbishes and upgrades applied to M1A1's

Edited by Kev2go