Kanium Sunday 28th 1800 UTC

Grenny

WNGO Blue

Please find maptrace attached.

3st paltoon (Hedgehog)

-March as quickly as possible south east

-gain BP 1.1 southeast of OSTERWALD a.s.a.p. report and engage enemy lead elements from there

-fall back to BP 3.1 when 1.1 is no longer effective (comes under enemy fire)

2nd platoon ( Mirzayev )

-march out after 1st plt,

-reach BP 2.1, defend from 2.1

-BPT move to 2.3 on order

1rd platoon ( sjr162 )

-march out after 2nd plt

-reach BP 2.2 and defend from 2.1

-BPT move to 2.3 on order

Jäger-plt will move to BP 1.2 and defenc the town there dismounted...

SS_16_07_12.jpg

SS_16_07_12.jpg

Edited by Grenny

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

In the AAR I didnt see any RED or BLUE units in (Hemmerdorf?) but on the GREEN map we had enemy contacts there and in the mountains to the SE of Salz.

It must have been some electronic warfare operations against GREEN

I think that was the way the mission was set last time round

I really enjoyed that game.  I am now quite taken with commanding mech infantry units.   Also the Cold War 80's scenario settings are really appealing to me.  Good scenario and looking forward to more please.  Keep up the good work.

I have really enjoyed this mission. We have been defeated but it was exciting and fun.

I have been sadly killed on a Blue on Blue incident by a platoon Teammate

blueonblue.jpg

But despite this it was real fun.

I really enjoyed the time I played as gunner in CavGunner tank. It is a priviledge to serve on the same tank as gunner with a real M60 veteran.

I have though carefully about what happened yesterday and I have come to the conclusion that our main issue is that we are fighting and planning like if we were in the 90's instead the early 80's.

On the 70's and early 80's before the introduction of the M1 Abrams and the M2 Bradley the quality difference between US Armor and Soviet Armor was not so significative as it would be later. The US Army even used 5 tank platoons back there. So thinking that a small NATO force with that equipment would be able to hold that large enemy assault was part of our defeat

The T-64 is a really fast vehicle and not an easy target when running fast. We where too few tanks and ATGM teams to handle that ammount of armour oursleves. Fact was that when we detected a large formation of tanks within range and we fired at them the whole enemy formation pivoted, faced us and killed most of our units in a matter of seconds.

While with the M1 Abrams you can initiate the engament at longer ranges and still outisde the T-64 effective range, with the M60 we were engaging within the effective range of the T-64 and 10 guns vs 4 is simple arithmetics.

I love this Cold War era Scenarios with the M60 but this vehicle is not the mighty Abrams and we should fear more the Soviet equipment  thus  we should do our planning and fighting in a different way.

Since this was a delay action we may have used our arty to hammer and delay the enemy when in sight but out of our MTB main gun range. Also some extra TOW vehicles or infanty teams to support our tanks may have come useful. We may have used the smoke screen earlier just before initiating the engagement thus denying the enemy without thermals the chance to fire back at us.

Older vehicles, I think we need different tactics, Just my two cents;)

In any case, I loved the mission. Was exciting,  educative and fun. Good organization, good leadership.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

4 hours ago, Furia said:

I have really enjoyed this mission. We have been defeated but it was exciting and fun.

I have been sadly killed on a Blue on Blue incident by a platoon Teammate

blueonblue.jpg

But despite this it was real fun.

I really enjoyed the time I played as gunner in CavGunner tank. It is a priviledge to serve on the same tank as gunner with a real M60 veteran.

I have though carefully about what happened yesterday and I have come to the conclusion that our main issue is that we are fighting and planning like if we were in the 90's instead the early 80's.

Well after looking at the AAR, and what I saw in mission, I would like to comment (no fault of leadership) that the Ptls were given dugin positions for a alternate fighting positions,

And I do believe the XO dropped in each and every Tank Ptl to advise they place them.

Now that being said, what I saw was absolutely no jockeying from each position after firing.

So what this does in a nut shell for our comrades on the Red side is, here I am, just shoot here, I will stay put, so if you miss, don't worry I will still be here.

Our standard SOP for fighting from a prepared fighting position ( what is was) is , after 1 kill- MOVE, after 3 shots and no kill- MOVE. Next mission try this and see if your tank survives a tad bit longer. Keep them guessing where you are.

Although I did not survive, if you look at my firing SOP, and compare to standing still, l one can see the difference it can, and should make.

This post was meant to inform and not degrade anyone, any tank or any small rodents.

Any

other suggestions are welcome.

Great mission, well played by A Coy team.