Kanium Sunday 28th 1800 UTC

Grenny

56 minutes ago, 12Alfa said:

Well after looking at the AAR, and what I saw in mission, I would like to comment (no fault of leadership) that the Ptls were given dugin positions for a alternate fighting positions,

And I do believe the XO dropped in each and every Tank Ptl to advise they place them.

Now that being said, what I saw was absolutely no jockeying from each position after firing.

So what this does in a nut shell for our comrades on the Red side is, here I am, just shoot here, I will stay put, so if you miss, don't worry I will still be here.

Our standard SOP for fighting from a prepared fighting position ( what is was) is , after 1 kill- MOVE, after 3 shots and no kill- MOVE. Next mission try this and see if your tank survives a tad bit longer. Keep them guessing where you are.

Although I did not survive, if you look at my firing SOP, and compare to standing still, l one can see the difference it can, and should make.

This post was meant to inform and not degrade anyone, any tank or any small rodents.

Any

other suggestions are welcome.

Great mission, well played by A Coy team.

Indeed we were given 4 dug in possitions and i my case I asked for an alternate one. However our BP was in a plain area where even inside the dug in position the high silluete of the M60 was exposed and indeed some of our tanks were hit while inside the trench. The terrain around us, a large flat plateu did not offer much options to conceal so moving from one possition to another possition leaving the trench while facing multiple enemies firing at you and being exposed to enemy fire during that relocation didn't sounded like a good plan.

I surely agree on your post about the SOP and convenience of moving the tank after one kill or 3 shoots but the tactical situation and terrain on that possition made that moving from the dug in possition without the smoke cover was not attractive

The plan was not to hold that possition for long so the plan was sound and if we failed in something was in not retrogarding earlier under smoke cover while we could. But everything happened real fast.

The area our platoon was located, a large plateu was completely exposed to the enemy and the fact we lost all of our tanks (Except mine that was killed on a blue and blue event) while retreating shows that.

All happened very fast. The moment the enemy entered our kill zone. They outgunned and outnumbered our platoon of 4 tanks.

Honnestly I do not think that with just 4 tanks, two covering and 2 moving at a time in that flat area we could have done better in that sittuation since in that location when leaving your dug in trench left you even more exposed to the enemy than before.

The plan was not to hold there and we actually got destroyed while moving out of the trenches, not inside them.

Anyway it was a tough mission and we all knew it and I hope next time I can do better from what I have learned last time.

No blame or fault in anyone. War sometimes is not nice B|

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, not to criticize.

One of the most important requirements of choosing a dug-in position for your engineers is to place them in a area that provides cover, and covered withdraw.

The firing position should be just deep enough to engage with the tube, no need for the whole turret to be exposed. 

The reversing action from said dug-in position must be under cover, other wise the vehicle will not be able to jocky from it, thous leaving the AFV stuck in that firing position with no covered means of escape, not good.

I think we need to consider how, and where we place the dug-in positions a bit better, taking time to look for a escape out, and the depth of the position. seems to me for the last mission it  was a quick emplacement, I may be wrong here. I looked at them in the AAR, they seem to me to be too far forward, and looking from the red side to much of our turrets were exposed, I'm sure we can do better, and with practice we will.

Would the Ptl commanders, and crews take a look and give some feedback here please?

Or anyone for that matter. 

Learning from our mission to improve is what will make us all better in the fight.

2 minutes ago, 12Alfa said:

One of the most important requirements of choosing a dug-in position for your engineers is to place them in a area that provides cover, and covered withdraw.

Also - a battle position is an intent graphic and not an end-all, be-all to where you will defend. 

Platoon Leaders are highly encouraged to make adjustments and recommendations to the Commander if the 'ink on the map' doesnt fit property with the terrain. 

3 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Also - a battle position is an intent graphic and not an end-all, be-all to where you will defend. 

Platoon Leaders are highly encouraged to make adjustments and recommendations to the Commander if the 'ink on the map' doesnt fit property with the terrain. 

+1