My 2 pence worth

Doc_uk

Just like to say what i think of this game.

Most of the graphics, tank models are fantastic, And Sound is just awesome

Tuts are bril.....

But what lets this down for me are the explotion effects, hit effect, they look far to dated, even try'd a user made effects, which were no better....

But im not going to, let this get me down

Apart from this, this truly, A great game

And to whom it may concern, keep up the good work:)

Regards

Doc

Are there any tweaks for making this game look even better?

• Members

Thanks for the compliments!

:)

Visuals have never been our top priority. Things should look "acceptably good" but artwork should not become our performance bottleneck. So, there are artwork upgrades now and then, and I guess we could spend some effort on visual effects once that our next three big artwork projects are finished.

oooh, dynamic lightning... sweet, we are slowly moving into the 21:st century :) (no pun intended, ssnake)

Which brings me to a question, will dynamic lightning mean we get shadows? (must be kind of pointless having it without shadows)

Tracks left by tanks need to be persistent, or they provide more information on time of passage than their presence alone would offer, as they are removed. This isn't an issue if they serve a purely 'eye-candy' purpose for a few 10s of meters behind the vehicle (as is relatively common in tank games). Memory and performance issues make unlimited ruts an expensive option.

Vehicles do kick up dust on dusty terrain, but this depends on the terrain theme applied to the scenario. Many of the existing themes have very low dustiness values. (Hint - deserts tend to be more prone to dustiness at present)

Edited by GH_Lieste

SB needs a serious visual upgrade - first and foremost those effects should be implemented that have influence on the simulation itself - smoke/dust/fire/weather effects that have an impact on visibility. The rest can wait ;)....

Its a shame there not:(

Doc

I think the graphics are outstanding and nothing needs to be added.

For one thing you want to keep the good frame rate.

graphics are funny..you add a bunch of junk and pixels and pretty soon it doesn't look as real.

Approach graphics from an artist standpoint by using good shades of color and distance and you can end up with better graphics that may be more simple than the complicated ones.

SBPE does this perfectly. The grass and trees are well detailed and most important the distance has a realistic feel to.. dare I say..like you're there.

Game designers have always pushed the edge with detail forgetting that being a little artistic you can do more with less.

The haze in some of the desert scenarios is outstanding.

These are the best graphics of any game I've seen (and I have them ALL) because it does use art and distance combined to give the feel you are there... and isn't that the point of graphics in the first place.

• Members
Which brings me to a question, will dynamic lightning mean we get shadows? (must be kind of pointless having it without shadows)

Actually no. Right now the dynamic lighting changes the ambient light level, and that works just as well (or as badly) as with the standard "high noon" light level that we currently have in all missions. Of course, at some point we should get shadowcasting as well, but that's not the top priority at this point.

• Members

Well, it's kinda dark or dusky. The interesting thing is the actual transition, and that's difficult to capture on a screenshot, so I would rather present this with some sort of video and a fast-forward effect. There are also a number of associated issues to be dealt with. I'm not sure if I would want to see it released to the public as it is right now. I would rather want to wait for feedback from army users so that we can eventually mitigate at least the biggest drawbacks.

I wrote in many older posts that simply making the screen dark is easy, and we did just that. But this can't be the final state as

1. human eye vision adapts to darkness, so even without NVG you should still be able to see something
  2. We need to add night vision goggles as an option, at the very least
  3. The behavior of computer-controlled units in low visibility conditions must be adjusted as well, e.g. speed reduction for vehicles

Only then would the whole night thing be palatable to my taste.