Jump to content
dpabrams

How to engage/ assault move APC's and then unload infantry?

Recommended Posts

I experimented with this for the better part of a half day. Consulted wiki and even searched this forum but I still don't think I have a grasp. It should be easier I would think. I select a APC platoon in the editor give it a engage or assault route and have it end at way point 1. I select the route and Troops/ dismount if/ this unit is carrying troops AND the unit has reached way point 1. I get nothing. In the editor I am unable to set a route and have infantry dismount from APC's. Seems I can only do it in the 3D view. Does anyone have simple instructions that will just get me in the ball park?

 

Thanks,

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems I have overly complicated it. By highlighting the end way point I can select troops/ dismount and at least get them out. I think I can now set the APC's on engage/ slow and the troops will follow? Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dpabrams said:

Seems I have overly complicated it. By highlighting the end way point I can select troops/ dismount and at least get them out. I think I can now set the APC's on engage/ slow and the troops will follow? Fingers crossed.

 

Elsewhere Ssnake wrote:

"yeah, because with countless exception rules and whatnot it became utterly unpredictable for most users when infantry would automatically dismount or not. So you now must script it. Do it at a waypoint, and they will follow the subsequent routes. Do it on a route, and they get left behind. That's pretty predictable behavior."

 

So yes, they should follow.

 

Rgds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dpabrams said:

Seems I have overly complicated it. By highlighting the end way point I can select troops/ dismount and at least get them out. I think I can now set the APC's on engage/ slow and the troops will follow? Fingers crossed.

 

Sort of.

 

I've attached a basic experiment scenario and AAR.

 

Yes they will stay together. However, the Infantry converge (they all end up clustered around one Bradley as opposed to remaining spread out and covering the frontage).

 

APC Test_082716GIBSON-SERVE1630.aar

APC Test.sce

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may also be possible to use the scripting to get the infantry to move ahead, and the unit dropping them off to stay put at the waypoint and cover them from a stationary position.

 

I have experimented with providing separate routes for each platoon to get them to NOT converge.  It's annoying, but doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maj.Hans said:

I have experimented with providing separate routes for each platoon to get them to NOT converge.  It's annoying, but doable.

 

Sure and it works fine (as a subset of "doable") if you have a limited number of waypoints.

 

If you have a extended route and you want to script say anti-ambush drills with every waypoint (say 10 or 15 +) having an "embark if ..." assault then giving each dismounted fire team a dedicated route becomes time consuming (even if you copy the routes from the previous waypoint and then edit them). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

 

Sure and it works fine (as a subset of "doable") if you have a limited number of waypoints.

 

If you have a extended route and you want to script say anti-ambush drills with every waypoint (say 10 or 15 +) having an "embark if ..." assault then giving each dismounted fire team a dedicated route becomes time consuming (even if you copy the routes from the previous waypoint and then edit them). :)

 

I've done it as a final step in taking an objective.

 

IMHO Pro PE needs to go ahead and put some new route tactics specifically for infantry carrying units.

New Route    >

  Infantry

If troops are mounted, this forces the hatches open and the troops to fight from the hatches.

If the troops dismounted at the start of the route, they move ahead of their own PC with engage tactics, and conduct an infantry attack with PC support.  The route speed determines how aggressively the troops move up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

[...]

 

If troops are mounted, this forces the hatches open and the troops to fight from the hatches.

If the troops dismounted at the start of the route, they move ahead of their own PC with engage tactics, and conduct an infantry attack with PC support.  The route speed determines how aggressively the troops move up.

 

+1 To that. 

 

Also yesterday I notice using some Marders: I force the troops dismount "if unit see any enemy forces", they dismount, the Marder go away and the Milan team never use the Milan, they stay hitting the floor while the enemy tanks approaches (still far away) If I give them for example LAWs or other shoulder weapons they fire back when tanks are closer... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the APC scenario the good Colonel posted I am able to at least make sense of it. I can get an APC platoon to move in the APC's and dismount at a way point with an engage/ fast route . The next portion for the APC's is a engage/ slow route. After dismounting , the infantry move to a single point and converge at the last way point. Is there a way to have the platoon line stay in a line at the end or will they always converge on the last way point in a bunch? After the way point in which the infantry dismount and move forward ,  the APC's ( with the slow/ engage route ) and follow about 100 meters behind the dismounts at a slow pace. I think this will work for now. Thanks for the assistance.

 

SS_17_43_32_zpsf5bqnusz.jpg

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dpabrams said:

Using the APC scenario the good Colonel posted I am able to at least make sense of it. I can get an APC platoon to move in the APC's and dismount at a way point with an engage/ fast route . The next portion for the APC's is a engage/ slow route. After dismounting , the infantry move to a single point and converge at the last way point. Is there a way to have the platoon line stay in a line at the end or will they always converge on the last way point in a bunch? After the way point in which the infantry dismount and move forward ,  the APC's ( with the slow/ engage route ) and follow about 100 meters behind the dismounts at a slow pace. I think this will work for now. Thanks for the assistance.

 

 

 

Pete

 

That sounds very nice. Please can you upload your sample mission to dropbox or similar for testing/checking here? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I know is to set the route for one unit (after it dismounts) and then copy/paste it to the other dismounts.

 

You can then tailor where they go. The downside of course being you need to copy it to all the dismount units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dpabrams said:

After dismounting , the infantry move to a single point and converge at the last way point. Is there a way to have the platoon line stay in a line at the end or will they always converge on the last way point in a bunch?

 

This is an example of legacy infantry code kicking in that we have replaced in other areas. In future versions this will go away, eventually. Until then you'll have to make do with the workaround as described above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

 

This is an example of legacy infantry code kicking in that we have replaced in other areas. In future versions this will go away, eventually. Until then you'll have to make do with the workaround as described above.

I just can't upload an example as I get one step forward and two back. I may just have to stop playing with myself and try a human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you want to upload an example?

The issue is well documented, we know what it's about, and what - in principle at least - must be done about it. NOBODY wants converging infantry, and we WILL get rid of it. I'm just hesitant to PROMISE a quick fix because, well, I'm not entirely sure that it's an easy thing to change. Legacy infantry code is rather complex (not necessarily good), and untangling it without creating damage elsewhere is not entirely trivial (or we would have done it already).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Why would you want to upload an example?

The issue is well documented, we know what it's about, and what - in principle at least - must be done about it. NOBODY wants converging infantry, and we WILL get rid of it. I'm just hesitant to PROMISE a quick fix because, well, I'm not entirely sure that it's an easy thing to change. Legacy infantry code is rather complex (not necessarily good), and untangling it without creating damage elsewhere is not entirely trivial (or we would have done it already).

I wasn't clear, Vikingo wanted a sample scenario so he could see the routing needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe just a unit with some arrows built using the Mission Editor Graphics function) and then post a screenshot of the map view?

 

Unit moves mounted from X to Y

Infantry dismounts

Infantry assault Z with intimate fire spt from the APCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dpabrams said:

I wasn't clear, Vikingo wanted a sample scenario so he could see the routing needed. 

 

Thanks for try uploading, I check the situation here some minutes ago... Glad to know the converging issue will be resolved sometime ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About:

On 8/27/2016 at 8:35 AM, Gibsonm said:

However, the Infantry converge (they all end up clustered around one Bradley as opposed to remaining spread out and covering the frontage).

 

-> Will this maybe different now in 4.1 ?

 

See also Nils:

On 8/30/2016 at 12:14 AM, Ssnake said:

Legacy infantry code is rather complex (not necessarily good), and untangling it without creating damage elsewhere is not entirely trivial (or we would have done it already)

 

Tx, Koen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Koen said:

-> Will this maybe different now in 4.1 ?

I hope so.

 

Infantry SQUADS will no longer converge when you set a movement target (irrespective of the method - via route or via direct command from the eye view or overhead view). But of course, if you dismount an entire platoon and then let all squads move along the same route, they would still arrive at the same waypoint. You would rather have to register the infantry platoon as a formation, and then create a new "formation route" to make sure that the infantry platoon remains spread out throughout the entire movement phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...