Advice for making SB video captures

2-pies

I want to make videos of my Steel Beasts sessions - has anyone got any advice on what/what not, to do.   Specifically I would like advice on what software to use and how to set it up.  Anyone with good/bad experiences of doing this ?  Just want videos for my own use - not bothered about live streaming.

FRAPS is an option, worth noting that you get very large file sizes, so converting them to something smaller afterwards is a good idea, especially if youre going to upload them to youtube or whatever.

Heres FRAPS; http://fraps.en.softonic.com/  (You can easily find a full cracked copy on piratebay if youre so inclined)

Heres something i use to convert stuff, its pretty straight forward; http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

I havent checked those download sites, they look legit to me, just sayin.

Good luck have fun :)

Edited by Bond_Villian

• Members
11 hours ago, 2-pies said:

I want to make videos of my Steel Beasts sessions - has anyone got any advice on what/what not, to do.   Specifically I would like advice on what software to use and how to set it up.  Anyone with good/bad experiences of doing this ?  Just want videos for my own use - not bothered about live streaming.

I captured my videos on Youtube with Fraps, then edited and converted them with Corel Video Studio X9. Which video editing software you use is mostly a matter of taste and personal preference. If you intend to make a video for public consumption I do recommend however to edit it. Like, nobody wants to watch loading screens on YouTube. Or anything else where nothing happens. It's different when there's suspense, but even then - provide context for someone who wasn't tere. Like the occasional  look at the map screen, possibly with some audio-commentary added later that says a few things about what you were planning to do, what you thought that the situation was.

Too often videos are uploaded to YouTube completely unedited. That has a certain documentary value, but then the question is why anyone would want to watch an hour or two that largely consists of vehicles driving around and the player scanning woodlines in thermals. You may have had your fun while recording it, but will whoever is your target audience will also have fun watching the results?

Keep it short and sweet, that's my advice. Cut everything that isn't necessary to understand what was happening. Add information wherever it's necessary for the audience to grasp the context of a scene. Make sure to edit the game sound volume to keep audio comments ... audible. Likewise, music. Music is a great complementary element, but needs to be used with moderation.

Fraps is OKAY...

Action! by Mirillis is way better. Lots of features, most I don't use but a lot of you tube content creators do. Best video quality of any Video recorder I've tried and I've tried a number of them. Small files when using MP4 (recorded a 40 minute Elite Dangerous session at 1920X1080 and it was 9.7Gb - so I tried another 40 minute session using AVI - over a hundred gig - huge difference and I couldn't tell the difference in quality between the two). Seperate audio track which I don't use but probably will someday. It also has a save last 5 minutes function where you can save into a seperate file what ever just happened (you can set the time - to what you want - up to 5 minutes - maybe more). Very useful. You can upload straight to YouTube and it converts your saved file on the way. You can use it to stream live to you tube or twitch. That's just a subset of what it'll do.

You can buy it direct from Mirillis or off of Steam. I recommend getting it direct from Mirillis - very good customer support as opposed to the worse than no support steam provides (they've got a lot of balls calling what they provide customer support).

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Edited by Werewolf

If you have a nVidia card you can use "Shadow Play" which works great. It comes with the nVidia software if you have a GTX or above card.  "Camtasia" is also very good.  For editing "Sony Vegas is good but expensive but there are others that do the same. Hope it helps.

If you have a nVidia card you can use "Shadow Play"

Good point! And Shadow Play is great. Used a lot until I started recording longer videos.

The gotcha is that the output file size is limited. Even with a 64bit system! I forget the limit but what ever it is if you're recording in HD you usually hit it around 15 minutes in or so.

EDIT: did some checking the limit is 4GB if using W7 for W8 and above the limit has been taken out. nVidia promised to fix the limit for W7 way back in 2013 but as of Dec 2015 when I stopped using it the limit for W7 was still 4GB

Edited by Werewolf