Infantry cover in an age of no trenches or foxholes?

dpabrams

Is there a way for grunts to derive cover in the following example? I have taken the smallest vehicle emplacement and set a weapons team just inside the berm. I have also placed them behind a jersey barrier and wonder if these objects will stop a bullet/ shrapnel? 

SS_10_00_10_zpsz3v838de.jpg

Pete

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

We don't discuss our plans in public. But I'm not ruling it out.

I wonder if you allowed more variation in the vehicle emplacement model, to allow for smaller "holes" with varying depths if that would be the short cut? the 

Ssnake thank for the reply. What I mean is can the existing vehicle emplacement model be more flexible to allow for more man sized fighting positions? Perhaps to replicate a trench or foxhole? These position would not be so wide and long and be more relative to the size of a team or squad.

7 hours ago, dpabrams said:

Ssnake thank for the reply. What I mean is can the existing vehicle emplacement model be more flexible to allow for more man sized fighting positions? Perhaps to replicate a trench or foxhole? These position would not be so wide and long and be more relative to the size of a team or squad.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

I see. Well, right now that's not an option.

I think this might be linked to modelling the AEV's ability to use its auger to dig such fighting positions, which is turn probably relies on deformable terrain and the new terrain model in general.

Delivery date: TBA

12 minutes ago, thewood said:

I would think it would be acceptable to start the game with the infantry fighting positions in place with the concession being you can't use engineering tools to build them in-game.  To me, its better than that sinking feeling infantry have.

Sure but that assumes you have the deformable terrain (at least AIUI * ) in order to display them.

This in turn I suspect needs the terrain mesh to be "finer" which again leads to a dependency on the new terrain model.

No point in modelling "foxholes" if the resulting hole is 5m x 5m and provides no cover purely because 5m x 5m is the smallest "hole" the terrain can currently support.

* By the way, could be way off target here.

Edited by Gibsonm

Personally I use Vehicle Emplacements like the Wiesel or BMP One Tier with Camo

Placed at 90 deg.

The emplacements can be made longer read "wider" in the planning phase.b

It is extremely bloody fiddly though, but prvides something of a workaround, just be careful when placing in a tree line.

(the emplacement deletes trees)

2 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Personally I use Vehicle Emplacements like the Wiesel or BMP One Tier with Camo

Placed at 90 deg.

The emplacements can be made longer read "wider" in the planning phase.b

It is extremely bloody fiddly though, but prvides something of a workaround, just be careful when placing in a tree line.

(the emplacement deletes trees)

Ture Dat!