Newbie (imminent) questions

ChrisWerb

Welcome ChrisWerb, im fairly new to this scene aswell, and i also watched hours of gameplay videos on youtube  (TGIF sessions mostly) before getting the game. I definitely recommend joining in on some 'TGIF' sessions regardless of your 'ability' in anything- you could even join as a spectator if you like to watch ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris. I'm Lumi from Dog's of War VU. We have rather large number of players from UK and Scotland, that are active on daily basis.

Also we play casual small missions on daily basis even during week. These sessions are most often played during evenings. You would be most welcome to join.

And it is possible even if you do not have Steelbeast licence. We can share you one. All you need is to download and install Steelbeast pro. You will get temporary licence from us.

If you're interested take look here. http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,2972.0.html

Our members are very creative of creating small and very immersive missions that are great fun. Beside these small sessions we have larger multiplayer games open to everyone at Sundays 19:00-GMT and Wednesday 17:00-GMT. :)

Our Sunday game being very casual and relaxed. Perfect place for newcomer to come to get first feeling of larger multiplayer mission. 

Sincerely ~ Lumi.

*cough*...While our friend from finland is of course right and you should definetively try their game-sessions, D.O.W. is not the only place to look for a game  ;)

Playing with others (who will always be eager to help a player) is the best way to learn!!

So If you have the time look here:

http://www.kanium.eu

"My place" is here:

http://www.steelbeasts.org/content.php

But don't know how proficient you are with the german laguage :P

Edited by Grenny

44 minutes ago, Grenny said:

*cough*...While our friend from finland is of course right and you should definetively try their game-sessions, D.O.W. is not the only place to look for a game  ;)

Playing with others (who will always be eager to help a player) is the best way to learn!!

So If you have the time look here:

http://www.kanium.eu

"My place" is here:

http://www.steelbeasts.org/content.php

But don't know how proficient you are with the german laguage :P

+1

19 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

engineer, logistics, recovery, resupply, medical etc. all look interesting too

Do it! Those positions are a great starting point to learning the game. 

19 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Some people - few, admittedly - seem to be drawn to these tasks, the "global G4", so to speak. And yes, once that the shooting starts these people seem to get busy enough.

The guys who volunteer to manage the logistics and engineers are the true heroes of multiplayer. 

and most VU can let you try to play we all have extra licenses that can be borrowed for a game or two until you are hooked then nothing else matters muhahaha (Evil laugh) ;)

Swordsmandk(Kanium.eu) and Gibsonm(Anzac) i know for sure

But remember play only with us i you fell like it (as in having fun) and remember your family comes first

MD

Edited by Major duck

I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the offers of help and inclusion. I can't wait to get everything together - the PC will be ordered Monday a.m. as will SB.

Can anyone recommend a good headset for SB?

Question: In the Leo2A5 tutorial .pdf there is mention of a CANCEL key. The closest key to that description I can think  of on a PC keyboard is BACKSPACE and that's used to set to battlesight.

5 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the offers of help and inclusion. I can't wait to get everything together - the PC will be ordered Monday a.m. as will SB.

Question: In the Leo2A5 tutorial .pdf there is mention of a CANCEL key. The closest key to that description I can think  of on a PC keyboard is BACKSPACE and that's used to set to battlesight.

Hi Chris, somehow I think this is related to P key...  as is titled "peri cancel"  What it basically does, it either cancels peri from following gun (commanders periscope follows gun). Or slaving gun (gun follows peri), and enables that commander can use periscope independently to find targets in hunter killer style.

-----------------

As for headset... there are so many that its hard to recommend any.

I use creative Fatal1ty. It's very good considering how cheap it is these days. 

If you look something more quality and expensive...  perhaps someone else can advice. 

Edited by Lumituisku

8 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

On the realism front with SB, my only real criticism (other than a few frequently voiced here and which Ssnake intends to fix with the new terrain engine) is that, when shooting, if you kill something, you get an audible "Target!", whereas, in reality, you would presumably keep shooting until the target either burned, exploded or changed shape.

Well you do.

"Target" is just the Commander confirming that you have hit it. So "Short", "Over", "Target" (or "Add" / "Drop" if using UK voices) are are part of the fire control process bracketing you to get you "on" the target.

Once you have hit it (i.e. "Target") its up to the Commander / Gunner team to continue the engagement until its destroyed.

You might get a visual cue (explosion, fire, smoke, turret flying off).

Then the Commander will give the Gunner something like:

"Stop! Target destroyed"

"Stop! Next Target Left/Right - Go on!"

Etc.

So "Target" doesn't necessarily mean its destroyed but often it only takes one round.

Hi GibsonM. What i was seeing in the videos was "re-engage" being called when the target needed to be re-engaged. It was not clear to me whether it was the gunner calling that he was re-engaging or  the commander was giving the order with the command and associated audible .wav file (or whatever) being initiated by a keystroke.

Edited by ChrisWerb
brain fart

1 hour ago, Kingtiger said:

But do not forget that you can remap keys if you do not like the default ones easy in sb :) 

Thank you kingtiger. I usually stick to defaults to ensure consistency with training material etc. and so I don't screw up team mates in games should they ask me what the keystroke for something is.

Edited by ChrisWerb
courtesy inserted

6 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

I use a Sennheiser Game Zero:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/27064?gclid=CNbcxNfN8c4CFVWVvQodpxkIOg&gclsrc=aw.ds

product_detail_x2_desktop_G4ME-ZERO-Blac

But your budget / needs may differ.

I used to have a Bluetooth one but while the lack of a cable was good, it would turn itself off at exactly the wrong time and go into "energy conservation" mode.

Edited by Gibsonm

I know you've had an avalanche of help but one thing that may be useful (esp. if your hardware and license is still getting sorted out) is we are using TeamViewer to let people remote in and watch without needing a license, etc.

As others have mentioned happy to lend you a license but if you just want to watch the screen of someone else playing, it maybe useful.

Its effectively a remote access tool so you can connect to say my machine and see what I see.

Our sessions are 0900GMT Thursdays, so you may need to be at work, etc.

But happy to do something on a weekend if it helps (from "now" is fine with me - but its probably getting late at night for you).

Edited by Gibsonm

9 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

I have already issued Stuart with call-up papers :)  It wasn't so much the rudeness in WoT as I could give as good as I received and it could be amusing on occasions. It was the sheer unreality of the game which got progressively worse over time as they deleted realism features to try to keep games under three minutes long. For instance, perfect "hover tank" fire on the move capability was billed as an improvement, leading to what were essentially two-dimensional air battles. 

On the realism front with SB, my only real criticism (other than a few frequently voiced here and which Ssnake intends to fix with the new terrain engine) is that, when shooting, if you kill something, you get an audible "Target!", whereas, in reality, you would presumably keep shooting until the target either burned, exploded or changed shape.

This will probably be in at least one of the excellent supporting documents/tutorials, but, with a twin monitor set-up, is it possible to have it so that the map is permanently displayed on your 2nd monitor regardless of what you are doing in the sim? So that your 2nd monitor effectively becomes a battle management system terminal? I know that would not be realistic for vehicles earlier than M1A2 and late model CV90s, but it would still be awesome when permitted.

Really? I gave up playing 5 years ago.

I play World of Warships though now...

• Members
3 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the offers of help and inclusion.

Ugh. Now you made me feel all liberal and enlightened.

WRT your comments about the commander giving too much info about the success of an engagement - aside from what has already been said, while I do acknowledge that there is some grain of truth in your remarks (even if for the wrong reasons), what I'm observing in the videos is that people tend to keep shooting despite the commanders' vocal feedback. So, in a way, it's actually less relevant in practice than what one might expect. The reality in all multiplayer games is, even with disciplined players most of the friction is being generated by the human players, no matter what. Which is entirely fine with me. I only want our team to throw a wrench into the gearbox on carefully selected opportunities. I agree that sometimes it's necessary in order to get the student accustomed to things going wrong "in general" so not to fall victim of a general planning fallacy.

But at the same time from a software design perspective a lot of the work is actually being taken care of by the human player's brain - whether it's the willing suspension of disbelief, rationalization, or simply ignoring the hints thgat the software provides (and arguably shouldn't). If all players were procedural robots that follow all advice of the tutorials to the letter maybe we would need more to induce friction and the waste of ammunition. But reality is different. :)

Years ago I recall a debate about the merits of battle drills over on tank-net. What I took away from it was essentially that battle drills are good in that they cut down on what you need to train/learn and that everyone can theoretically rely on everyone else to follow the optimum doctrinally mandated response very rapidly in a given set of circumstances. The flip side of that is that the enemy can learn your doctrine and anticipate your reaction. Sometimes (and I am sure you have experienced this many times) not following the manual and doing something a little off the wall in response to an enemy action (or proactively) can completely throw an enemy that is itself trained and conditioned to expect that response. I think the Duke of Wellington was the classic exponent of this approach, but on a larger scale.