CS 3 Clawing at the Bear

ShotMagnet

Counterstroke returned this evening, turning out a great fight for both sides as NATO surges east and north.

334th GTD was ready for them in the south, and made the capitalists bleed pretty good before going down. NATO would not be denied, however. They pushed the Soviets off the high ground, and now that they own it they have an excellent base of fire from which to chase the sons of Lenin all the way off the western part of the map.

NATO paid the price in blood, just the same. They killed 74 Soviet vehicles, but they lost 55 this time around. Still, NATO has good field position; it's going to be a real trick for 334th, holding onto the ground they still own.

Thanks to Sean for hosting, and thanks to everyone who came out to play. We had a great turnout, considering that CS has been in hiatus since April or May, while work and real life interfered (as they always do) with everyone's good time.

We're going to do this again two weeks from now. Hope to see you then.

Shot

Had a good time myself.

Had some of those units on the south that got hit right away..due to setup.

We didn't think they'd be right on top of us.

I watched AAR and after GTD did their pound our setup they ran like chickens out of a coop;-) I thought commies stood and died like men :) Only Nato is smart enought to run. We must have trained them.

Unfortunately I was not able to attend but hope to be at the next one. Is it possible to get a 2km buffer zone between the two sides so they don't start on top of each other?

As i said last night. We have run into this almost every mission..

Commanders must place the front units in a turret down position to survive:cul: the first few minutes if the comie's are on our doorstep.

• Moderators
As i said last night. We have run into this almost every mission..

Commanders must place the front units in a turret down position to survive:cul: the first few minutes if the comie's are on our doorstep.

Well, if that is the intent to allow a battalion of tanks to go up in flames in about two minutes then OK, fine. ;)

...if that is the intent to allow a battalion of tanks to go up in flames in about two minutes then OK...

That's not the intent, but that's how it's worked out for the last couple of missions. Chalk it up to the respective commanders possessing a fine appreciation for each others' intent, some not-inconsiderable experience and skill with SB, and IQs which in either case can be measured in triple-digits.

Is it possible to get a 2km buffer zone between the two sides so they don't start on top of each other?

Possible? Yes. Which probably answers the rest of the question for you.

The way the campaign was originally set up, each side has for them drawn a boundary which takes note of where AFV are at the end of a scenario. The boundary is drawn accordingly, and is drawn more or less independent of enemy units insofar as who might be where. It's up to the respective commanders, as they prep for the next battle, to decide for themselves where they should place their forces. If they deem necessary a standoff-zone, so be it. If they want to start knife-fight close, that's also up to them.

I set things up that way on purpose. I wanted to give each commander as many options (short of too many) as I could. I wanted each commander for himself to decide therein what might be the best way to conduct each one's side of the fight.

Some of that is going to change; mostly because the fixed-OB thing isn't making anyone happy, but also because commanders have only long-term goals.

Shot

Each side draws units from an OB given to them by me. It's not working for a variety of reasons, one of them being that the OB I gave NATO was based on the old 1:3 NATO:WP tank ratio. That's not working; at least in part because NATO is attacking.

For that matter, it didn't seem to work during First Clash either. 4th CMBG ate through all their tanks in about two scenarios.

Shot

Counterstroke's next mission; CS3 South, Clawing at the Bear, will take place at 1900 6 Sep 08 (0300 7 Sep 08 GMT).

Note that this time around I've made some changes.

No longer is there a fixed OB; this wasn't working for me and it wasn't fair to the respective commanders. The reason is stupidly simple, the AI is a much better shot than you or I could ever be. GaryOwen and his minions of capitalism have been savaged thusly; thus the change, which now decouples campaign-victory from scenario-victory and assigns one to the accomplishment of the other.

No longer also is there a common map against which the actions are fought. 12Alfa provided me with a singularly-beautiful height-map that was sadly much too hilly. I swear by the power of Greyskull that I'll somehow find a way to use it, but for CS I'm just not finding any happiness.

Note also that in no way is 12Alfa responsible for the changes. In fact, I owe him greatly for his work both on Counterstroke and on First Clash. 12Alpha's map-making skills were irreplaceable for each campaign, it was my fault much the more than his that I didn't see this coming.

Shot

NATO kicks Soviet ass into low orbit as CS3 South played out.

NATO's task was to get across two bridges, head generally east, and take up positions to control roads and railroads entering the quiet little city of Fvaubruecken. 334th GTDs task was to pound west, control the same two bridges and take up overwatch positions on two hills.

NATO blew through a company set up to delay attackers moving for the objectives, taking some casualties but getting across in pretty good order. NATO was very quick getting into position and 334th was having problems getting into position. Hilarity ensued.

I had to be rushed to the emergency room right after the game, to have one of HardRock's boots removed from my butt for how hard he kicked me and C company. Elsewhere DarkAngel and Mog danced around each other and traded blows, while in the south Ryujin's BMPs nailed to Leo2A4s with ATGMs.

NATO slapped itself around a little bit. RogueSnake pegged one of GaryOwen's M-113s as he tried to engage some BMPs, and then did it again to Dark Angel. Good job, Dave; welcome to the dark side.

Not that it mattered in the end. NATO got across and never let go of the bridges, preventing 334th from getting to the bridges and to the hills on the other side. NATO scored a victory, therefore, and kept 334th from scoring a single point.

Good fight by both sides, just the same. Thanks again to everyone who came out, see you again in two weeks.

Shot

NATO slapped itself around a little bit. RogueSnake pegged one of GaryOwen's M-113s as he tried to engage some BMPs, and then did it again to Dark Angel. Good job, Dave; welcome to the dark side.

Propaganda from the warm, and wet mouth of the master. Who's anus will remain sore for some time.

Gary's vehicle was already heavily damaged, and held no longer any value.

Hey thanks, TB. I'll try to make things a little more interesting for everyone next time.

At the moment I'm thinking of running CS for at least two more scenarios, but depending on availabilities and interest I could extend this out for six, or more than that if everyone's still interested.

After that I'll get to work on maps and such for the next campaign, Sons of Lenin.

Gary's vehicle was already heavily damaged, and held no longer any value.

I'm sure Gary's happy that you're putting down vehicles you think are nearly-useless, because it's not like there are a lot of enemy targets to waste your ammo on, is it? :)

Shot

This was by far my best and most satisfying battle todate. No tanks lost to the dreaded trees:)

Fri night was horrible. 3 units lost to trees. 4 lost to feet wet, 5 lost to arty, and 2 lost to drunken drivers smacking into each other.

Alpha did a lot of damage in the south but alas casusalties started to mount.

With two minutes left Alpha CO hopped in the drivers seat and raced toward the objective area. (in oddballs voice) Found a beautiful muther railroad bridge to cross. Went the wrong way in town and at 50mph did a 180 and smacked into a bldg just short of the objective area.

Someone was determined to keep dropping arty on MY hill but I managed to back most out each time. :debile2:

Found a beautiful high ground overlooking the river and town in someones back yard ..nice well cut grass but alas the enemy didn't want me there as I left 2 burning vehicles on it.

Hey thanks, TB. I'll try to make things a little more interesting for everyone next time.

At the moment I'm thinking of running CS for at least two more scenarios, but depending on availabilities and interest I could extend this out for six, or more than that if everyone's still interested.

Shot

Well we could try the eastern area, hills and all.:eek2:

It's not like we haven't fought some SB battles in hilly areas before.:confused:

Some Fri night battles have taken place on very hilly maps.:redface:

And fightin on the original book based ground does have some appeal.:cul: