Newbie Reporting for Duty

Harv24

Greetings all... I thought it would be fun to check in. Maj Hans graciously invited me to the site. My online tank experience has been WoT and War Thunder. Both are fun at times but make me scream when I get a point blank shot at a light tank with a Tiger 1 that does nothing....Grrrr

My off line experience is a bit broader... I served as an Armor crewman with the US Army in in a career that spanned over 21 years in both Active, And Reserve component. I started out as a 19E in M60A3's (24 ID/4/64AR) and then switched to Reserve component where they had M48A5's and M60 tanks. The eventually switched to A3's where I  was part of a NETT team that taught transition. In 89 I attend Master Gunner school and was given the D8 ASI. I taught the A3 for many years until I switched to a Guard unit that transitioned to M1IP's. I spend the majority of my career as a Armor Platoon Sgt. So I got to deal with many a new 2nd Lt fresh out of AOBC (Armor Office Basic course). During my career I have had the chance to attend pretty much every school related to Armor including Tank Commander certification course at Ft Knox., and the Reserve Component Tank Commander's Course In Boise ID. I have two rotations at the National Training center in Ft Irwin CA as well. I spent a lot of time in the UCOFT/PCOFT and driver simulators and was a UCOFT instructor. Also spent a lot of time in the SIMNET units (I like to think it was the original Sim game) and was able to play with the CCTT units which replaced SIMNET.

I have a lot of TT8's under my pistol belt and I hope I can be a resource to the site and its members, I still have all my TM's/FM's and SOPs  and am still connected to my fellow Brother Master Gunners. So I will do my best to answer any and all questions.

Forge The Thunderbolt!!!

Harv

Welcome in the lair of tank-nuts :-)

Get yourself comfy, try out the controls and keyboard settings and you're good to go!!

I guess you live in a north american time zone? Then join in at TGIF times (friday night), There will be plenty of people who can help you with setting up for online-games...enjoy the ride

12 hours ago, Harv24 said:

Greetings all... I thought it would be fun to check in. Maj Hans graciously invited me to the site. My online tank experience has been WoT and War Thunder. Both are fun at times but make me scream when I get a point blank shot at a light tank with a Tiger 1 that does nothing....Grrrr

Oh, you don't need to worry about that in Pro PE...

Put a round through the auto loader magazine on a T-72 and you'll see the turret enter the olympic tank turret pole vaulting competition.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:44 PM, TSe419E said:

My first unit also, B Troop, Feb. '80 to Sept. '81.

When I was in Hinesville, most cav troopers drank at Ronnie's Place, irrc.  Myself, I spent too much time at a buy-me-drinkee bar called the Holaday Lounge or something like that.

I went to two, maybe three bars at most in Hootyville and the occasional forays to Savannah and Tybee Island.  I went only once to each bar.  Couldn't stand the atmosphere.  Spent most of my off time at a friends house.  Lots of JD blacklabel.

Edited by TSe419E

3 hours ago, GaryOwen said:

When I was in Hinesville, most cav troopers drank at Ronnie's Place, irrc.  Myself, I spent too much time at a buy-me-drinkee bar called the Holaday Lounge or something like that.

The Holliday Bar.. Spent a lot of time their, once the girls knew we would not by them drinks...small world...

Welcome to the club.   my offline, real life experience is follows:

L TRP 3/2 ACR  87 - 89   Amberg, Germany   M3A1- Brad

C TRP 1/3 ACR 89 -92  Ft Bliss, TX  M3, then M3A2 Brad

B TRP 3/4 CAV 92 - 95  Schwienfurt, Germany M3A2 Brad

HHT 1/11 ACR 96 - 99  Ft Irwin, Ca  Sheridan, DRT Team

L TRP 3/2 ACR 99 - 02 Ft Polk, Louisiana TOW Humvee

RECRUITER - 02 - 05  New Jersey   G-Rod

B, C, HHT 1- 9 CAV 05 - 08  Ft Bliss, Tx  M3A2 ODS Brad

Retired.

19D Cav Scout best job in the army.  Loved every minute of it, was only going to do three years and get out but loved it so much decided to stay in and do 20

Found the original Steel beasts game back when it first came out, played it, stopped for a bit, then picked it back up on 2003, formed a virtual unit called 2nd dragoons ( you can probably guess where I got that name from)

played until 2006 when I left for Iraq,  dabbled in it while in Iraq, returned from Iraq and played it more but no online as no time being married and all.  and now with  7 year old still no time to play online but do play it offline as often as possible.

IT is a good community, you will find lot of people here very helpful.  The support for SB Pro PE is the best I think of any game or simulation you will find anywhere, in my opinion.

I fond the community very welcoming when I first started out.

15 minutes ago, javelina said:

To the OP and others, thank you for your service!  I'm taking a hard look at SB.  (Love sim'ing: DCS, BMS, and some of the Tank Sims.  But obviously nothing like SB!)  :-)

Welcome!

I think the investment in a one month rental (US$10 I think) is a great way to put your toe in the water and see if its for you.

3 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Welcome!

I think the investment in a one month rental (US$10 I think) is a great way to put your toe in the water and see if its for you.

Thanks M8, I was thinking along those lines.  I have some upcoming Euro travel in a couple weeks.  After which I'm going to give the one month a shot.  I'm not worried about the cost, it's the quality and realism I'm looking for.  Heck, I cannot tell you how much I've sunk in to my sim rig, just for all the DCS modules I own, plus BMS Falcon.  (Surprised I'm still married....)  :-)

On 9/5/2016 at 10:48 PM, RENEGADE-623 said:

Welcome to the club.   my offline, real life experience is follows:

L TRP 3/2 ACR  87 - 89   Amberg, Germany   M3A1- Brad

C TRP 1/3 ACR 89 -92  Ft Bliss, TX  M3, then M3A2 Brad

B TRP 3/4 CAV 92 - 95  Schwienfurt, Germany M3A2 Brad

HHT 1/11 ACR 96 - 99  Ft Irwin, Ca  Sheridan, DRT Team

L TRP 3/2 ACR 99 - 02 Ft Polk, Louisiana TOW Humvee

RECRUITER - 02 - 05  New Jersey   G-Rod

B, C, HHT 1- 9 CAV 05 - 08  Ft Bliss, Tx  M3A2 ODS Brad

Retired.

You were at 3/4 just after i left, i originally hit 3/4 cav in Oct 90 just out of basic, just after they reformed the TOE to include M1A1 and conveniently had only 'cruits like me and M60 series NCOs from Korea.  They traded a ton of us to 2/64 and 3/64, I went to A co 2/64 for the rest of my time in Germany, After which i went to fort benning GA under 24th ID then ETS in 94.  Loved the tanks, hated the stupidity of garrison mentality/life.  Have to say I make a better civilian than soldier.  I have way too much opinion that must be shared to make it in the military......I'm surprised i never made it to the stockade to be honest......

On 9/5/2016 at 10:48 PM, RENEGADE-623 said:

Edited by tankenator
Dumb me forgot to type!