Reconnection after internet outage

ChrisWerb

I occasionally suffer from a spate of short (1-3 minute) internet outages. We are trying to get to the bottom of this with our service provider (BT) and I would stay away from MP if I knew this was likely to happen. However, if you temporarily lose internet connection, what do you have to do to reconnect and how long does this typically take?

Edited by ChrisWerb
grammar

If you leave the session (i.e. the outage is long enough for the server/host to notice you are gone):

1. DON'T PANIC!!! :)

2. You may still have Teamspeak (i.e. you automatically rejoin Teamspeak).

3. Assuming you do you need to ask whoever is running the event to "pause" so you can "rejoin".

4. The Host "pauses".

5. You get told (via TS) to try and reconnect.

6. You do the exact same process as when you first joined (connect to the Host's IP, etc.)

7. You select the same unit as before but as an Observer (only option you have).

8. The Host notices that you appear on their machine (in a process dialogue box).

9. The Host progresses the process.

10. You download an updated mission file (reflecting the changes since mission start).

11. The Host unpauses once you have joined.

12. The CO for your side gives you ownership of the unit you currently have Observer status of.

13. Session continues.

If you have a hard crash and TS drops too, then restart/fix the problem.

Load TS and tell people.

Continue from step "3." above.

:)

Edited by Gibsonm

Well "it depends".

I think across the community you have maybe one person drop per session in 80% of missions.

Many I think are because they are on "not so good Internet" (i.e. on WiFi instead of fibre) or connecting from the other side of the world.

We have two serial offenders in BG ANZAC (one is on the end of a 4G mobile 'phone connection in rural Thailand, the other is using WiFi in NZ with baby monitors and other things that generate interference when they are activated.

Its much better though (and painless) compared to the previous options of:

1. Leave the person behind and press on.

2. We all go back to Mission start.

I'm not sure if 4.0 / 4.004 is more demanding in terms of connection or if more people are now mentioning lag / being dropped, but it does seem to have more frequency of reporting in the Support thread than before.

Perhaps its both - more people with "marginal" connections now playing (because of the new feature set) but experiencing issues due to the "marginal" Internet connection?

Edited by Gibsonm