US/UK Crew orders

Kingtiger

That sounds more comforting, was getting a bit worried there for a moment!

Swedish conscript times are only 10months so we never have the chance to melt together as good as US unit but what you described is happening in swedish AFVs as well regarding looking one step ahead (unless someone is totally incompetent like my TC).

Guess you have to split it up to In combat and outside combat commands.

/KT

That sounds more comforting, was getting a bit worried there for a moment!

Swedish conscript times are only 10months so we never have the chance to melt together as good as US unit but what you described is happening in swedish AFVs as well regarding looking one step ahead (unless someone is totally incompetent like my TC).

Guess you have to split it up to In combat and outside combat commands.

/KT

DAMN!! Only 10 months? Wow I really can't get my head around forming a good crew in only 10 months. Is that 10 months after basic and advanced training? or 10 months total time in?

One other thing to point out, I was in the National Guard in a small farming community so most of us actually knew each other outside of "Army life" as a matter of fact there were four of us (friends since 3 grade) that joined up while still in high school, one of us went regular army after graduation, one went full time guard (he is on his second tour of Iraq), one who decided to do something he could make a living at and went medic, went regular Army got his PA and is now a civilian PA, and I got out after 6 years.

woa! how in the hell does that work?!?!? don't worry we only did it in "low risk" areas and the IDF is as good as us but they have way more kick-ass tanks >: ( . but as a loader to all TCs don't go ape-shit if we don't want to arm our MGs(I got shot 3 times for just going "ok!") yea I was with my 5 friends In the Marines we were all freinds before we signed up and when we did we all went together and the four of us in an M1 and little andy got put in a Bradso my TC (his brother) always had to look after him. We were supporting him alot wich was good I guess but Dan was on edge when ever His little brother was out.

It really baffles me that US crews are so undiciplinary in coms in the AFVs :shocked:

Now 2 ex crewmembers have stated same kind of behavior so it really looks like that is the SOP. Scary when its seconds that are important in combat, Getting the orders thrue fast and clear is just as vital as the gunner fires before the enemy does.

The US crew chatting is... well yeah scary... Sure in my APC we changed the SOP orders around (left out distance to target as I as gunner was betther on judging that then my TC etc) but still had the wery short, clear and fast commands shouted to save on those valuable seconds.

So its a bit chocking and scary to see that the US army that are amongst the most combat experienced (Isreal having more combat maybe?) in the world are so slobby with their orders in the tank.

/KT

We wern't as bad as you might think we just know how to have fun :) any way our unit was kinda there to look scary... and take IEDs they never really did anything to our tanks just bounce us :) one tank had "lucky shit" on it, it was the lead tank. Oh and ours was "tough luck" for me service was alot better then I ever could have hoped.

DAMN!! Only 10 months? Wow I really can't get my head around forming a good crew in only 10 months. Is that 10 months after basic and advanced training? or 10 months total time in?

2 months basic training.

2-3 months basic tank education

4 months platoon/company/battalion exercises.

1 month (in total) of Special maintanance.

That was for 2003-2004 when I was in the mech coy and BTMcoy or what hes callsign is here was on the tank coy. they have changed how you do your conscript now but I guess its about the same.

And it isnt really a problem getting good crews, Well educated officers that know their shit and we only have 5000 conscripts per year nowadays wich means you can sort out the stupid ones, so you have mostly smart guys to teach up. so not a problem really.

biggest problem now is the budget cuts... my regiment only trains one tank platoon (normally a complete company) this year and the rest of the guys that joined in as tank crews became "close infantry support" with non-armoured BV206 tracked vehicle... thats a bit embaresing...

/KT

who do you fight in thouse... things? no way one could stand an IED or even small arms.

Precisly my point. Its a cheap solution. a whole tank company joined in, then the regiment got a budget cut so they had to put away all tanks exept 4 in stores. wich left whole lot of crewmembers over. so they just dusted of some old BV206s thats cheap to run and maintan and put the crews as infantry. So I figure they got allot of normal infantry roles, biggest aim being MOUT.

Most likely they have been regular OPFOR against the Mech coy that was trained at the same time on the regiment.