Unable to install 4.004

Lt DeFault

I'm having trouble installing 4.004. The SB installer says I need MS update 299926. I tried installing the update from the page linked to by the installer, but Windows says it is already installed on my computer. Subsequent attempts have resulted in Windows update hanging on "Searching for updates on this computer". If I decline to go to the MS page and/or tell the SB installer to continue anyway, the install fails. I was able to install and run 4.0 with no problems whatsoever.

I have tried the steps recommended by dunc here. The "sfc/scannow" command returned a message that some errors were found, but could not be fixed. The "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" command did not work, of course. (OS is Win 7 Home Premium.) I have not tried uninstalling and re-installing VC++ 2013/2015 as that seems to be recommended after the installation of update 299926, or the steps listed by dunc here. I will try those ASAP and report back. I did try resetting the update service and using the Windows installation disk to roll back to a previous restore point, but that didn't help, either.

To complicate things, my computer has not been showing any updates in the "Update History" for some time. Now, I see that the list of "Installed Updates" is also blank. (?) If any additional information would help, let me know and I will gladly post it here ASAP. (I'll have to try and kick my wife off of the computer first, though. :o) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the bright side, I just got a new laptop (Win 10, 6th gen. 2.5GHz i7 processor and 8GB RAM) which seems to be able to run 4.004 at least adequately. I've only tested it superficially, though, and have yet to see how it will perform with large scenarios and/or online sessions.

Edited by Lt DeFault
Formatting error

I recently experienced the same issues with Windows Updates on a fresh Windows 7 install. Windows Update was not seeming to download or install updates, at least not in a timely fashion. N.B. I turn automatic Windows Updates off after a past experience where it tried to rape my computer with a guerilla Windows 10 upgrade that I did NOT want. I solved my issue by following this post: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3058260/microsoft-windows/heres-how-to-significantly-speed-up-windows-7-scans-for-updates.html; after that, SB and the 4.004 update worked fine.

In a nutshell: "Install a COMBINATION of the following updates on Win7 SP1 -- KB3138612 AND KB3145739. I found out that patching KB3145739 alone without patching the WU Client for Win7 SP1 is not enough."

Manually downloading and installing KB3138612 and KB3145739 unclogged Windows 7 Updates and allowed my system to receive all of its patches. It wasn't lightning fast after the update (there are over 1GB of patches), but at least I now receive the updates from MS.

I hope this helps!

Edited by DarkFib3r

10 hours ago, Volcano said:

Are you still having issues or were you able to correct it since (by reinstalling CV 2013/2015)?

I've gotten as far as step 5 from dunc's second instructional post. I think there are a few more updates I need to install before I try reinstalling VC++. (It's really tough to get my wife to stop playing ESO long enough. xD)

9 hours ago, DarkFib3r said:

I recently experienced the same issues with Windows Updates on a fresh Windows 7 install. Windows Update was not seeming to download or install updates, at least not in a timely fashion. N.B. I turn automatic Windows Updates off after a past experience where it tried to rape my computer with a guerilla Windows 10 upgrade that I did NOT want. I solved my issue by following this post: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3058260/microsoft-windows/heres-how-to-significantly-speed-up-windows-7-scans-for-updates.html; after that, SB and the 4.004 update worked fine.

In a nutshell: "Install a COMBINATION of the following updates on Win7 SP1 -- KB3138612 AND KB3145739. I found out that patching KB3145739 alone without patching the WU Client for Win7 SP1 is not enough."

Manually downloading and installing KB3138612 and KB3145739 unclogged Windows 7 Updates and allowed my system to receive all of its patches. It wasn't lightning fast after the update (there are over 1GB of patches), but at least I now receive the updates from MS.

I hope this helps!

Thanks! I'll see if I can install those. Although, I've been installing every update MS has pushed out for some time now, with the exception of a few that were pushing "features" I didn't want. As I mentioned, for whatever reason I have no update history, so it's tough for me to make sure they're already installed. But they're not in the [very short] list of updates I refused. After rolling back to a previous restore point, there were only about 26 updates I had to reinstall, and so far maybe another 6 or so after that. My computer does take extremely long to find new updates, so maybe, if they aren't installed for some reason, that will help.

I wouldnt hesitate to re install the VC++ libraries, or even uninstall them completely and let them be installed by SB.

If i remember correctly, i got as far as step 5 in that 'instructional' mentioned, then reinstalled SB 4.0 (and the  VC++ , which are included) and it ran. Windows Update was still behaving strangely but seems to have sorted its shit out now.

Edited by Bond_Villian
version number

Well...so far I have:

1. Double checked that KB2999226 is installed. Windows says it is.
  2. Installed all of the updates that were waiting for me.
  3. Ran the script that dunc kindly provided.
  4. Uninstalled and reinstalled VC++ 2013 and 2015.
  5. Checked that the two updates mentioned in the article linked to by DarkFib3r were installed. One was, the other I didn't need.
  6. Rebooted my computer about 1,000 times in between update checks/uninstalls/reinstalls.

...and still...no joy.

F***ing Microsoft. I guess I'll try the new updater smithcorp just mentioned. (Thank you, BTW.) Although I don't seem to be having any problem installing updates. But hey, what have I got to lose? :/

Could be worse. At least SB runs on my laptop. I just feel bad for eSim. I'm sure they have better things to do than try and help us with Windows issues, a job for which they don't get paid. But I really appreciate the effort on their part, and on the part of all the forum members here. Thank you very much for your efforts, everyone.

I'll report back later about whether or not I have any luck with the new installer. Thanks again!

The "funny" thing about the KB299926 update is... M$ has "updated" it a couple of times by now, and it seems that some "older" versions of that update don't "qualify" as proper prerequisite... go figure. ¬¬

If Windows insists that KB299926 is installed, but none of the other stuff works, my next step would have been to uninstall KB299926 again (you can do that via the normal "program" entry from the control panel, there should be a "show windows update" entry in there somewhere... and NO, they are of course NOT sorted by name...), then cleanup the windows update system (using steps 1 to 5 in my post here), and then re-run Windows update and try to make it find the "most recent" version of KB299926.

Maybe that helps... I'm sorry for all that hassle, I really would appreciate if M$ would provide a VC2015 runtime which is either "self-contained" or does not have that stupid "universal runtime" dependency.

Believe me, we already discussed ditching VC++2015 and going back to VC++2013 because if that BS... unfortunately, we're using newer C++11/14/17 features since a while that we would need to "downgrade" again, so we kept fingers crossed and hoped M$ would sort its stuff out eventually. So much for that...

On 9/9/2016 at 8:59 AM, dunc said:

...my next step would have been to uninstall KB299926 again [...] then cleanup the windows update system (using steps 1 to 5 in my post here), and then re-run Windows update and try to make it find the "most recent" version of KB299926.

Thanks. Will try that and the other things I haven't done yet when I get the chance.

No need to apologize for the hassle. It's obviously something to do with my PC/Windows and not eSim's fault, seeing as how the update works on my laptop and so many other PCs. Speaking of Windows: it's determined to not let me play TGIF ever again. Just before this past Friday's game, my laptop decided it was time to restart after some updates. The process lasted well into game time. >:(