M249 Maximi gunner ammunition

Panzer_Leader

Hi All

Sources I have suggest a 5.56 mm M249 Minimi gunner typically carries about 100 ready rounds and approximately 700 stored.  Many armies have recently moved to the heavier 7.62 mm M249 Maximi as a squad automatic weapon, as a result of lessons learned in Afghanistan primarily I believe.  What would a reasonable assumption regarding ready versus stored 7.62 mm ammunition for a Maximi gunner be?  Apologies for the rivet (bullet) counting, but, with the new capabilities of 4.0/04, I'm trying to get the small arms load outs in my scenarios as historically and doctrinally correct as possible.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Cheers 

Edited by Panzer_Leader

12 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

What would a reasonable assumption regarding ready versus stored 7.62 mm ammunition for a Maximi gunner be?

Not a great answer, but 'as much as possible'. For my scenarios, I don't normally give rifle squads a 7.62mm MG. At the squad level the 5.56 MG is still the Squad Automatic Weapon. I haven't heard of Squads transitioning to a 7.62mm MG, at least not in the US. 

It also depends on which type of unit. A dismounted weapons squad will stuff as much ammo into their rucks as possible. A mostly mounted force will use their vehicles to store ammo. 

• Members

Judging from personal experience with "maxi maxi" MGs (MG3), 50...100 rounds are the maximum you can carry around while moving (longer belts tend to get in the way), and usually the assistant MG gunner would carry two cans of 200 rounds each. On the shooting range we got small crates of 1000 rounds, and they already were a bloody nuisance to carry from the truck to the actual firing point on the range.

• Members

Once that you set up a defensive position and expect trouble you'd try to stockpile as much ammo as you can get your hands on. Obviously. Also, WW2 veterans I spoke with recalled that lugging large amounts of MG ammo was one of the main activities on the East front. The rate of fire was enormous, add a target-rich environment, and you get an idea.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Judging from personal experience with "maxi maxi" MGs (MG3), 50...100 rounds are the maximum you can carry around while moving (longer belts tend to get in the way), and usually the assistant MG gunner would carry two cans of 200 rounds each. On the shooting range we got small crates of 1000 rounds, and they already were a bloody nuisance to carry from the truck to the actual firing point on the range.

Standard loadout for an MG-3 team is(was?) 1250 rounds. 250 with MG-gunner and 1000 with the assistant gunner in 4 cans. Usually the gunner would have 50 rds ready in 200 in his backpack.(or at the webbing)

1 hour ago, 12Alfa said:

Grenny, Did your army change the loadouts after the trip to the sandbox?

In the Sandbox? depending on the mission...the loadout was: pack as much as you possibly carry.

I've seen guy with 300+ rifle round in their webbings and MG teams humping 2000+ rounds...

Great answers guys and really appreciated :) They definitely chime with what I've heard from some guys in the know this side of the world - pack as much as you can! I think you've given me enough to go on. For my sins I always like to have more than my own best guesses to base my scenario design on, for the things I think are important to get "right" (personal opinion of course). Thanks again.

standard loadout is the bare minimum,say 210 rds(as depicted in SBPPE).A realistic loadout is 8-10 30 rnd mags in your assualt pack and and about 8 mags on your vest or chest rig and few on your ''warbelt''(utility belt) or stuffed in your cargo pants.Ammo is like water and common sense....you can never have to much.:D