Other games you play at the moment

[]_--__[]KITT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

The package i bought includes 'Germany Reforged', and while i can see that it has a lot of depth, I have to say it has some rather annoying quirks, among them is that it runs like two legged dog for some reason. I think i will enjoy this title more as i come to understand the mechanics of the engine (not easy to do, with documentation not even covering basic things like what the different movement types mean). Finding myself frustrated by lack of control over the units, unintuitive controls (that cant be rebound at all) and inexplicably long delays between issuing orders and said orders being acted on. Probably need to trawl through the forums for tips and info on how it all works :)

The documentation does cover movement types and how the units act-react when you give them orders to use them.  Regarding "finding yourself frustrated by lack of control over the units," LOL, that is the point.  You give your orders and they go, constrained with the fog of war etc.  You have to think 3-4 moves ahead and act accordingly to the intel coming your way.  It takes time for the orders to filter down the chain of command to those units etc.  It is a command and control simulation.  That IMHO is what makes it great.  You should definitely check out the forums over at Matrix Games.  They've got quite a few tips, tutorials, AARs showing people the beauty of this game.

right lets have a look.. games i play... hmm

recently started on Mafia 3..

Wow = cause im gay like that

Arma3 = cause i make content for that..

The witcher 3 = cause i get to kill monsters in that

Steelbeast Pro PE = cause i get to annoy Dejawolf enough in that aswell :P its amazing

ark = cause im a huge dino fan

GTA V = well any explanation needed?

VBS3 = Cause i like the simulation part of Arma..

FIFA 17 = cause who doesnt like football.

3DS MAX = well its not a game but for content design (3d Models) its essencial

Life is Feudal = cause midd evil building..

Total war all series = cause cant get away from them...

Fallout 4 = cause its just amazing to walk around in radioactive shite and kill mobs

Wargame Wet Dwagon = just because...

hope it was oki.. :)

I've actually started on a little "keep myself amused" type of project to convert some of the old Panzerblitz scenarios to Steel Beasts scenarios.  More modern equipment, of course, but there won't be any fancy thermals or LRFs.  Might be fun, might be boring.  I'll know in a week or so :-)

16 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

The package i bought includes 'Germany Reforged', and while i can see that it has a lot of depth, I have to say it has some rather annoying quirks, among them is that it runs like two legged dog for some reason. I think i will enjoy this title more as i come to understand the mechanics of the engine (not easy to do, with documentation not even covering basic things like what the different movement types mean). Finding myself frustrated by lack of control over the units, unintuitive controls (that cant be rebound at all) and inexplicably long delays between issuing orders and said orders being acted on. Probably need to trawl through the forums for tips and info on how it all works :)

There is a delay in command orders (cycle), check tab 3 on your right hand side menu, you will see if you are ahead in the time cycle or behind. That can be caused by alot of different factors, weather, unit out of it´s HQ control zone, in threat zone, etc. which all can make for orders to be delayed.  The trick is to be ahead of your enemys time cycle, that means your units will recive orders before his, unless there are factores involved as I stated before which can delay orders. It´s a bit hard to understand at first Theres a manual i suggest you read it, or look in YT plenty of videos there too. As enigma said, it´s a operational orders wargame so you play as a general giving orders. You can move the counters with specific move orders like in SB but they have there own AI, if there in threat they will not move forward unless the order given ignors that.  There´s alot under the hood in FC, so it´s best to read the manual.

The only thing I dislike about FC is that units can take some fire, so units will be fireing at each other for longer then your tipical wargame, so a game can take a while. On the other hand that makes it more realistic as in real life or SB you don´t always nail your target that easy. The difference is in scale, you don´t see the counter moving behind trees or sloops which represents the time spent taking cover or finding a good fireing spot, fireing on the move and missing etc.

Edited by Red2112

14 hours ago, enigma6584 said:

The documentation does cover movement types and how the units act-react when you give them orders to use them

Hmm, well, the manual that i got with the steam version of the game (players edition) seems to be the 'Germany Reforged' manual, with not much more in it than some map notes. Will find a copy of the original game manual and do some homework

11 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

Hmm, well, the manual that i got with the steam version of the game (players edition) seems to be the 'Germany Reforged' manual, with not much more in it than some map notes. Will find a copy of the original game manual and do some homework

I am not certain, but isnt that a DLC for the main game Red Storm only, updating it from the standalone version from years ago to the hexfield version standard of OFRS? I have Red Storm from Steam - and it has a full and extensive manual. Several ones, to be precise.

I got the 'Players Edition', which is FCRS + Germany Reforged. http://steamcommunity.com/app/330720 When i launch the game theres a splash screen with a link to the manual, and its just a bunch of credits and map notes etc. Not to worry though, there is always YT and the wider internet :)

edit; As a matter of fact i just found the e book version of the original game manual on the steam store page that i linked! I griped too soon ;)

Edited by Bond_Villian

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

I got the 'Players Edition', which is FCRS + Germany Reforged. http://steamcommunity.com/app/330720 When i launch the game theres a splash screen with a link to the manual, and its just a bunch of credits and map notes etc. Not to worry though, there is always YT and the wider internet :)

edit; As a matter of fact i just found the e book version of the original game manual on the steam store page that i linked! I griped too soon ;)

LOL.  I was just going to suggest to you to look under your start directory for game folder and it should be there.  And yes, it is much more extensive.  Germany Reforged as Skybird has said is the additional manual showing improvements and additions to the original features if I'm not mistaken.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:15 AM, Toyguy said:

I've actually started on a little "keep myself amused" type of project to convert some of the old Panzerblitz scenarios to Steel Beasts scenarios.  More modern equipment, of course, but there won't be any fancy thermals or LRFs.  Might be fun, might be boring.  I'll know in a week or so :-)

I wonder how you'll replicate the "PanzerBrush" LOS rules. :)

On 10/10/2016 at 6:05 PM, Skybird03 said:

I am a very active Assetto Corsa user and Raceroom user myself, and believe me - if you have not felt Assetto Corsa's physics and FFB shining with a FFB wheel, then you have not seen anything important yet. ;) Using a G27 myself. You cannot really appreciate a good driving simuator when using just keyboard or gamepad. It simply is not possible. You can learn to be reasonably fast, yes - but still, it is a completely different world.

Do yourself a favour - get a wheel, FFB, 900°, and some reaosnmablke pedals. Clutch pedal and manual shifter is recommended, but no must.

Must not necessarily be the hilariously expensive Fanatec stuff.

Thank you. I knew that. Out of job at the moment. Just been offered a job but declined the offer. Doing some freelancing (academic consultation) but it has dried up with no new client. So I have to save money. A wheel would set me back 500 USD here. I'd rather buy a smart TV for that kind of money and only then would consider buying a wheel.

I just love motorsport it's either not playing at all or with a keyboard at the moment (I have a pad but prefer the keyboard still). It's okayish with a keyboard. Would be perfect with a wheel but I can wait.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

Nice videos Kitt! Thanks for sharing!  I get to stressed with driving LOL. I rather fly :D

Latest games:

- Kholat (scared shitless) bsaed on a true story.

- Act of Aggression (remembering my C&C day´s).

- Order of Battle WWII (Winter War Campaign).

- Warhammer End of Times (remembering my Dawn of War day´s) Blood, gore and pure fun Skaven rat killing in multiplayer style.

- FCRS (ongoing PBEM++ match).

- Endless Legend (getting the hang of it) Nice 4x game.

- Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (well it´s Nexus what can I say).

Edited by Red2112

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Nice videos Kitt! Thanks for sharing!  I get to stressed with driving LOL. I rather fly :D

Latest games:

- Kholat (scared shitless) bsaed on a true story.

- Act of Aggression (remembering my C&C day´s).

- Order of Battle WWII (Winter War Campaign).

- Warhammer End of Times (remembering my Dawn of War day´s) Blood, gore and pure fun Skaven rat killing in multiplayer style.

- FCRS (ongoing PBEM++ match).

- Endless Legend (getting the hang of it) Nice 4x game.

- Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (well it´s Nexus what can I say).

Thanks not too good with lap times :D.

Only familiar with Nexus on that list. It's a brilliant game but it's strictly linear.

Been checking out 'Endless Space 2' and very tempted to buy it if not soon then nearer to Christmas. It seems like a brilliant space strategy game.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

Just now, []_--__[]KITT said:

Thanks not too good with lap times :D.

Been checking out 'Endless Space 2' and very tempted to buy it if not soon then nearer to Christmas. It seems like a brilliant space strategy game.

Yeap, I know what you mean regarding lap times. Then there´s the fact that if you want to make good times, you need to know the track in and out. Just like in real life.

Endless Space and Endless Legend was on sale over at Bundle Stars two day´s ago.  That´s where I picked it up.  Endless Legend is real nice and I think Endless Space 2 will be even better.  Compared to the Civilization saga, there´s more flexibility giving orders and such.  Overall I find them better then the Civilization saga.

Just now, Red2112 said:

Yeap, I know what you mean regarding lap times. Then there´s the fact that if you want to make good times, you need to know the track in and out. Just like in real life.

Endless Space and Endless Legend was on sale over at Bundle Stars two day´s ago.  That´s where I picked it up.  Endless Legend is real nice and I think Endless Space 2 will be even better.  Compared to the Civilization saga, there´s more flexibility giving orders and such.  Overall I find them better then the Civilization saga.

I'm holding out from buying Endless legend because I prefer Endless Space 2. I have Civilization V which theme I prefer than Legend's. I'm sure it's a great game but have to have Endless Space 2 first hehe.

22 minutes ago, []_--__[]KITT said:

I'm holding out from buying Endless legend because I prefer Endless Space 2. I have Civilization V which theme I prefer than Legend's. I'm sure it's a great game but have to have Endless Space 2 first hehe.

Another link for Endless Space and cheap...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/?l=spanish

The reason I went for Endless Legend is that it´s W10 compatibale. I imagen Endless Space 2 will be too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/?l=spanish

Edited by Red2112

On 11/10/2016 at 1:15 AM, Toyguy said:

I've actually started on a little "keep myself amused" type of project to convert some of the old Panzerblitz scenarios to Steel Beasts scenarios.

Are you aware of the third "PanzerBlitz" game - Arab-Israeli Wars by TAHGC, 1977.  Same rule mechanics and unit scale but has modern weapons (e.g. helis & ATGMs etc.).

Considered to be the most refined (3rd generation) PanzerBlitz rule version (and yes ... includes rules to reduce "PanzerBush" effect).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3218/arab-israeli-wars

Anothe game of simlar vintage is Mech War 77 by SPI, 1975.  Same map and vehicle scale and similar rules but with scenarios set in Germany, Korea and China.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5383/mechwar-77

A third series of platoon unit/250m hex scales games is Assault by GDW, 1985.  Title game is US vs Soviet, but several add-on modules introduce UK and West German units.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8284/assault-tactical-combat-europe-1985

All excellent sources of scenario ideas.

All above games now out of print but 2nd-hand copies do show up on eBay.

5 hours ago, 2-pies said:

Are you aware of the third "PanzerBlitz" game - Arab-Israeli Wars by TAHGC, 1977.  Same rule mechanics and unit scale but has modern weapons (e.g. helis & ATGMs etc.).

Considered to be the most refined (3rd generation) PanzerBlitz rule version (and yes ... includes rules to reduce "PanzerBush" effect).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3218/arab-israeli-wars

Anothe game of simlar vintage is Mech War 77 by SPI, 1975.  Same map and vehicle scale and similar rules but with scenarios set in Germany, Korea and China.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5383/mechwar-77

A third series of platoon unit/250m hex scales games is Assault by GDW, 1985.  Title game is US vs Soviet, but several add-on modules introduce UK and West German units.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8284/assault-tactical-combat-europe-1985

All excellent sources of scenario ideas.

All above games now out of print but 2nd-hand copies do show up on eBay.

The Assault series is particularly neat in that the scenarios have hidden, variable orders of battle for each side, including dummy units, so each player does not know the exact composition of the adversary force as units are placed on, or enter the board.  The SB mission editor can replicate this functionality (well, not the dummy units, which are unneeded in SB).

11 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Another link for Endless Space and cheap...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/?l=spanish

The reason I went for Endless Legend is that it´s W10 compatibale. I imagen Endless Space 2 will be too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/?l=spanish

Yeah, I know it's on discount on steam at the moment. But I'm eyeing Endless Space 2 rather than trying the first :)

• 2 weeks later...

For the old school board game geeks in here; i saw this in a (the only) game store in Perth today and bought it immediately. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-478-mbt.aspx . I had the original 'Avalon Hill' version of this game once upon a time, was so excited when i saw this had been redone... Ive got some reading to do! You can see the rulebook and contents on the page linked above. Tons of information in the box, including TO&E's. Possibly some Scenario conversion ideas for SB also.

NUMBERS!

MBT_M1A1_Abrams.jpg

pic2958247.jpg

mbtah.jpg

Edited by Bond_Villian