Inf going ahead...

HardRock

As talked about the last couple multi-play games and losing vehicles fast from impatience, our commanders suggested slow down and send inf ahead.

So I set up a small scenario with that in mind.

Result was the inf does spot but they die pretty quick so the enemy won't stay spotted so you're back to square one except now you know something is there.

I think it might be a combination of sending inf and a couple scout vehicles..sort of a recon in force. Which still beats plowing a valuable tank platoon into uncharted territory.

Thoughts ?

If you send the inf out into the open, then yes they will die. You need to position them to where they can see without being seen. Another option is to use the infantry's UGV if they are equiped with it.

I sent them into the woods with scout tactics. I purposely put enemy in the town and woods since that's where the armor gets smacked going in too fast.

I sent like 6 squads into a village/woods on each side or roaf with one enemy plt and a BMP plt occupying the objective..

I was surprised their survivability didn't last long.

But yeah..I'll think of better postitioning.

• Members

Countrintuitive as it may sound, "engage" might be the better tactics for infantry advancing through a forest because once that they are in an engagement and take the prone position they will sink into the forest ground and therefore be well covered. With scout tactics they will try to break contact and keep moving which denies them the cover bonus.

Of course, it also is a question of how much time you actually have available for a given task. It might also help to call in some smoke volleys by artillery to cover a flank or an open area, or to cover your retreat.

As talked about the last couple multi-play games and losing vehicles fast from impatience, our commanders suggested slow down and send inf ahead.

So I set up a small scenario with that in mind.

Result was the inf does spot but they die pretty quick so the enemy won't stay spotted so you're back to square one except now you know something is there.

I think it might be a combination of sending inf and a couple scout vehicles..sort of a recon in force. Which still beats plowing a valuable tank platoon into uncharted territory.

Thoughts ?

What army are you with?!?!?!

I suggest UAV's or robots but in SB UH1's

I like to fill the tristate area with smoke and flares then use TIS.

I get into this quandry as well. Either take the fast route and lose tanks, or take the slow route and lose infantry.

I try to offset it by providing more intelligence in the briefing stage. If it's a blind advance-to-contact scenario and I take the infantry approach, it'll be half the day gone before I find anything - then promptly lose the troopers. So lately when I design a scenario I'll give a "zone of suspected hostiles" to use as a crutch to save time.