Connecting to a Network Session

Belphe

Hi,

Me and my friend are trying to play SB together in a Network Session but struggle to set up our connections. Could anybody help us? We live in different countries and behind different routers. If you can please, answer the following questions:

1. Is it possible to connect and play together without external, 3rd party software such as Hamachi or All Seeing Eye?

2. What Local IP Address should we have set up in our in-game Options: (all available IPv4 only)?

3. Do we both need to forward TCP/UDP 2300 - 2400 & UDP 47624 ports?

This is pretty much all that we can think of. It's difficult to find anything on the internet as SB is a very niche simulation. Please, help!

Third party software isn't necessary unless you need to get around a restrictive router/network/ISP that is blocking the normal connection. The client should enter the external IPv4 address of the host in the aptly named "Host's IP Address:" field. Only the person hosting needs to have those ports forwarded.

Thank you both for help! We managed to get it working by a total coincidence. The website I linked below (that I was planning to use to find out if I forwarded my ports correctly) claimed I had a totally different IP from the one I got by typing "ipconfig" in the Command Prompt. As me and my frined were both pretty desperate to play we gave it "the last try". I hosted and he connected as a client using that IP - and it worked!

BTW, the website said my ports were actually NOT forwarded so I guess it's not obligatory anymore..

Thanks again for assistance and perhaps our example can help others who struggle with multiplayer connections.

THE WEBSITE THAT SAVED THE EVENING ---> http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Thanks!

Edited by Belphe

3 hours ago, Belphe said:

Thank you both for help! We managed to get it working by a total coincidence. The website I linked below (that I was planning to use to find out if I forwarded my ports correctly) claimed I had a totally different IP from the one I got by typing "ipconfig" in the Command Prompt. As me and my frined were both pretty desperate to play we gave it "the last try". I hosted and he connected as a client using that IP - and it worked!

Yes "ipconfig" will give the IP address of your machine on your internal network (the local one). What you need is the WAN IP address what people outside your network see. You need to use the WAN IP on your Router (not your local machine).

Basically the "Client" connects to the Host's WAN IP so the traffic goes from the client to the Host's Router. Then via the port forwarding that traffic goes from the Router to the computer that is running the SB Pro PE software and acting as the "Host".

BTW, the website said my ports were actually NOT forwarded so I guess it's not obligatory anymore..

Correct, only the "Host" needs to setup port forwarding. Its not required for a client.

Of course if more than one machine wants to host (say take turns hosting) you need to set them all up.

Thanks again for assistance and perhaps our example can help others who struggle with multiplayer connections.

Well arguably the pre existing thread I mentioned already does that. :)

Edited by Gibsonm