NVG for infantry

RedWardancer

As many of you know, I am a stickler for infantry.  Perhaps the only real voice and avid user of the grunts in SB. 

In a recent scenario, I used a dismount rifle squad to engage an enemy tank.  In F7 and F8 mode, the unit has NVG like everyone else.  Snuck up to within twenty meters behind the tank, but the grunts would not fire.  So I checked all of the views.  No NVG in binos, none in firing mode either.  I made sure that my grunts had orders to open fire.  As you can see in the image, I was close enough to plant a satchel charge onto the back underbelly of the darned thing.  So, what gives?  Has 4.0 fixed this?  Or was there something left out in the scenario design?

SS_14_12_33.jpg

32 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I suspect Apocalypse and other might disagree.

Good looking out!

1 hour ago, RedWardancer said:

So, what gives?  Has 4.0 fixed this?  Or was there something left out in the scenario design?

Ive been seeing similar results in some of the sce's that I've been playing. For example, this morning I watched an entire squad die to a single enemy rifleman in which they refused to engage because he was under the terrain / in cover

ive noticed that if a dismount is 'in cover' - ie - under the terrain/helmet only exposed, that nobody can see or engage him - even if you use the 'shoot at' command. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

I feel that if players had the ability to manually engage with rifles and light AT weapons then this wouldn't be an issue. Not asking for ArmA-level fidelity in SB - not practical obviously, but barebones rifle and AT sights much like the current LMG/HMG/GMG/ATGM/Mortars to round out the ground combat aspect of SB would be welcomed.

This conversation has occurred several times on the forums, and someone always comes in and says something like: "Go play ArmA if you want to play as infantry" or "Dont turn SB into Battlefield/Counterstrike/Quake". I think those are all fallacies, and are generally from people who fail to see SB as something bigger than from just the hatch of an armored vehicle.

18 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

This conversation has occurred several times on the forums, and someone always comes in and says something like: "Go play ArmA if you want to play as infantry" or "Dont turn SB into Battlefield/Counterstrike/Quake". I think those are all fallacies, and are generally from people who fail to see SB as something bigger than from just the hatch of an armored vehicle.

Agreed, but you are then pretty much increasing the workload for a given player.

In 2.654 say you could pretty easily manage a Company single handed as the AI did most stuff / you couldn't.

Now as the Infantry model is developed you need to co-ord Infantry and vehicle movement on dismount, track ATGMs, sight and fire crew served weapons, throw smoke, use GLA, etc.

It could be argued now that one person is flat out managing a Mech Pl, or say four to a Company.

Stepping down a level to individual weapon sights, etc. and I think you are talking about 2 people per PL or maybe one person per vehicle and passengers.

So then we are talking about maybe seven people to fight a Mech Company (roughly).

Now that's fine if you and some mates want to do that, but things like TGIF, etc. with Bn settings means a big slice of those who turn up (assuming they want to do it) are soaked up in the Infantry.

Also if these features rely on human control (i.e. the AI doesn't keep up - e.g. Co-ord of dismounted Inf and vehicles in an assault) then its value as a Trainer starts to fall away.

Previously / currently you have "economy of force" advantages where say one trainee can fight their plan and have the AI fight the subordinate units. If you now need a bunch of "pucksters" to fight the veh/passenger combinations the cost of the training goes up (support staff, etc.).

Not as "expensive" as 1:1 but starting to approach a tipping point.

I'm all for added detail as long as the AI keeps up. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Just now, Apocalypse 31 said:

Nothing would change for players who dont want to be bothered with it. I'm not asking to take AI away, just allow for the same functionality that currently exists with other units such as ATGM's and LMGs

Yes but in my limited experience the AI doesn't do a lot of these things yet - a person needs to intervene.

It was very frustrating.  Had the perfect shot but can't see even though this behemoth was RIGHT THERE!  Now granted, I've never fired an ATM at night through a helmet mounted NVG, but it should have been possible. 

Wait one...what if the dismounts had the newer Storm?  I know it would work with Javelins.  But most scenario designers don't upgrade infantry weapons.  Damn.  Just damn.

Oh well.  Wonder how the 4.004 will work out...

I'm guessing RedWardancer is talking about upgrading the dismounts to use the NLAW Storm anti tank weapon, hoping they would fire it under Zero Dark Thirty conditions. :)   Since the Javelin comes with a thermal imager for night fighting, he wants a small anti tank weapon to use at night.  I'm guessing the individual sight for the weapon has to be night vision capable for them to use it in the sim this way.

Edited by Invader ZIM