Joystick recommendations.

ChrisWerb

10 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

From the underrated search function:

The search-fu is strong in you Gibsonm. I'd done a search on "joystick recommendations" and the most recent thread that came up was from 2013. As  the Hardware recommendations thread appeared to be a sticky, I went there and there was nothing on joysticks, so I posted the thread.

Hi,

I have the TM Warthog flight stick (you don´t need to buy the whole HOTAS system if you don´t want too, you can buy the flight stick only which is less expensive), but in my opinion, for SB you don´t need to go that far unless you are into Flight Simulation which then will serve you aswell.  The TM HOTAS X Flight stick will do you just as good, you can also detach the throttle from this stick too which is cool. Or the TM T16000m which is about the same thing.

I don´t use my TM Warthog stick for SB. I just got in the mail the Logitech G13 yesterday which I find very comfortable to use and very versatile, as you can bind it to anything (recording software, audio software, Window apps, MMO games).  This is just my personal opinion.

Care,

Red

The Warthog is selling for approx 330€ here in Germany... O.o That's a hell of a price tag. Although I thought about getting one years ago, when I still was playing FSX occasionally, the price held me off. The TM Flight X however, is just 1/7th of the Warthogs price. If you spare the Throttle and just go for the Stick, then its just 1/10th of the Warthogs price. Costumer reviews are also very positiv on the Flight X. Most likely I would go with that Stick / Throttle Combo (with a more or less up-to-date system, the old flightsim-virus is showing up... ).

Dennis

Thank you guys. Yes, this helped a lot thank you GibsonM.  When I get stuck into a game, I get stuck into it for literally years, so I don't think I'll need the full HOTAS and separate throttles set-up. I have expensive hobbies, but I would baulk at spending Warthog money, let alone the professional aluminum Leopard set ($1200 in 2006, if you could source one). I'm going to order the TM T1600M. If that doesn't work out or I need a lot more switchology (CV90 series IFVs) I might switch later.

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Don´t know why the price of the TM Warthog stick is so high now, I remember I paid about 175€ three years ago for it, anyway.

I had the strong feeling, that the price was rather going up, than down. But the Warthog is a fine piece of equipment, I'm sure. If I was a DCS addict, I would most likely own one myself... ^_^

4 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

If you need buttons, Saitek make this side panel:

http://saitek.com/uk/prod/farmside.html

That looks really awesome. Is it for use in addition to a joystick or instead of one and, if in addition to, does the joystick also have to be a Saitek?

Disclaimer: I am frantically googling this. I just thought you might know offhand.

Edited by ChrisWerb

Im happy owner of Saitek X-55

I couldnt hit 30 kph moving tank at 1200m with old Thrustmaster due to low ( 8 bit ) axis response curve..With this new baby - anything that moves and thermal sights can pick up it is dead within 2 secs!

Combined with Track IR and Voice Attack ( where you can configure things and literary shout orders to your crew) it is new dimension of same core game.

21 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Hi. Any recommendations on a joystick to purchase? I haven't had one for about 20 years, but I'm thinking it might enhance the gaming experience with SB, particularly with regard to tracking targets and getting shots off quickly.

I've had an old CH F-16 Combat Stick since SB1 so it must be more than a decade old, but it's comfortable, has lots of buttons, and works fine. Some fine-tuning is required after Windows calibration though but I have managed to qualify with a 3.9 second average. I've also had the CH throttle stick but never really got around to using it even when I had lots of flight sims installed. The Combat Stick has all the buttons I need for quick access.

3 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

That looks really awesome. Is it for use in addition to a joystick or instead of one and, if in addition to, does the joystick also have to be a Saitek?

Disclaimer: I am frantically googling this. I just thought you might know offhand.

Well the "set" from what I can see comprises this, a steering wheel and some pedals. So I guess "in addition".

Unsure if you need to have commonality between devices in terms of manufacturer.

• Members

IMO the Warthog, as impressive as it may be, isn't a particularly good choice for tanks (unless you already own one for flight simming) simply because it is a pretty stiff one with a strong centering spring. In most vehicles the gunner's controls are rather light to the touch, with a few notable exceptions of course (ASLAV-25, for example).

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

IMO the Warthog, as impressive as it may be, isn't a particularly good choice for tanks (unless you already own one for flight simming) simply because it is a pretty stiff one with a strong centering spring. In most vehicles the gunner's controls are rather light to the touch, with a few notable exceptions of course (ASLAV-25, for example).

As a Warthog owner, I'd have to agree with this.  I don;t think it offers any advantage over the mouse when it comes to gunnery, and it may even be inferior at long range where precision is most necessary.  However, I understand that there is a way to remove the spring to make the motion completely facile.

With all that said, there is a coolness factor to having all the buttons and switches at your fingertips.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

I agree that the default spring tension is problematic for SB. Fortunately the "warthog spring mod" is pretty simple, (and reversible.)

Regarding the Warthog I agree with Ssnake, the thing is stiff, but there´s another reason too. It´s very uncomfortable!

In the past two years I have been training 6hrs a week in a acrobatic team with DCS, but I must admit that there are other things involved too.

The good:

- Very sturdy, could last a life time with minor care (dust build-up) but well sealed compared to others.

- Very well built.

- Spring wear. Will not wear out that easy compared to others.

- HAL sensors.

- Cool replica.

- All works well.

- Good software/drivers.

- All metal.

- Good company/trusty.

The bad:

- Uncomfortable. Your thumb has to rest between a small cavity between the bottom base a switch above and below the "testa" mushroom head stock. You cant put your thumb anywhere else.  The metal makes it a very hard surface on your skin after awhile of use. At first (for flight) I even thought of using a glove, but you get used to it after awhile.

- Spring tension. Not a big issue for some, as the spring tension is not that bad, it´s just more on the stiff side compared to others but dose require more force on your behalf.  For precision you don´t want a to soft spring as for micro adjustments a soft spring will throw you off easier as its easier to move.  Adjusting axis curves and dead zones will help alot.

- If your house is not well grounded (electrical) watch out, as this is full metal in your hands!

- Precision. The CH flight stick has the best precision of them all. Or a precision MMO mouse (R.A.T.5 or alike).

- There´s a precision mod for the Warthog but very expensive.

Regarding others, from other friends who have used it in a acrobatic background (precision needed).

- Saitek X-52 (I have one too). Spring tension way to soft, needs a mod (spacer between spring and stick) and with the mod it´s not enough. Saitek X-52 drivers don´t always work right, at least on my end. It works better with the generic windows driver.

- Saitek Reihno X-55. You can change springs (it comes with 3 springs going from soft to hard). Springs wear out easly, needs care.

One of the best pilots in my acrobatic team used  homemade pedals out of wood, a cheap flight stick modifeid from other cheap sticks, and a homemade collective throttle made out of wood, a TV controler for buttons. a contour-weight made out of a sand bag and other household utilities :smile2:

In a way, it comes down to who is behind the gear and how to use it, more then what gear you use.  Good gear helps, but it´s not imperative.  If something works for you, then that´s the best gear for you.

If I would have to buy a stick now, I would go for CH.

All this is more related to the hardware istself and not to it´s use in SB, and from a flight sim background which is not the same as a tank sim of course.  For me, the Logitech G13 with a precision mouse is my best choice, but again that´s for me!

Hope it helps.

Red

Edited by Red2112

About stiffness: 

I dont know how Sb handles Force Feedback, but maybe using some of models with this feature could be the ideal solution, since they usually dont have any springs or mechanical restrains - they use el. motors to simulate resistance and motion.

If that is too pricey for users, i ( again ) recommend models which have multiple spring options - X 55 for example, i have 5 levels of hardness I can choose: from no spring at all to the hardest one which i cant move nearly, like using old jet stick without any hydraulic help... For SB im using the light spring, red one, and it works perfectly - it gives you just enough force to center the stick perfectly, and if you want to track a target there is no resistance...

Ofc. it has enough buttons that you can map anything you want on stick as well.

OK, I know I'm in danger of becoming an "askhole", but this time I did do some searching here first. I had no idea that gaming mice existed and there has been very little discussion of them here. I have to say that I am more interested in an effective and instinctive controller than I am in having a realistic set up - I don't want to let my side down just to have a marginally more realistic gaming experience. Therefore, this kind of thing shows promise. Could I have your opinions (yet again) please.