SB Pro PE High rez Upgrade

fidelthefallguy

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is a copy of the current readme file. Ssnake please let me know if its good enough.

This is only a beta pack dont expect it to work as good as the final release

SB Pro PE High Rez Terrain Texture Pack version 0.3b
Pack created By Fidel; contact admin@sbgenerals.net

!!!!Remember to back up your game folder before doing this, no promises this will not mess up you game.
If you experiance eratic behavior after installing this mod, Please make a note of the problem,
unistall the mod and report the bug to the adress above.!!!

System Requierments: SB Pro PE version 2.328 or above installed and running

Recomended: 256 mb video card or better

minimum: up to you how slow your willing to go.

how to install this pack

1) back up your game folder but leave all the stock files in place.

2) copy the unziped folder (terrain) to \Program Files\eSim Games\SB Pro PE\
If you are asked if you want to overwrite any files select all.

This pack will work with the following themes

Europe_Summer1.thm

Due to the nature of SB Pro some of if not all the textures in this pack will be used in other themes.
Other themes have not been tested and results may vary.

• Members

It's pretty good. I'd like to see some emphasis on the fact that this mod utilizes more texture memory than the stock version of SB Pro PE, and that if the video card's RAM is exceeded frame rates will plunge. This may affect all scenarios, or just some, and therefore not be easily connected with the new texture set.

this mod utilizes more texture memory than the stock version of SB Pro PE, and that if the video card's RAM is exceeded frame rates will plunge.

I think that this is common sense for most of the people on who play games enough to want to mod them. And by now everyone who is interested in this mod understands what High Rez means and that it will require more memory. What I have written in the read me file explains well enough what is recommended for this mod. Using this mod does not automatically mean that peoples game will stop functioning correctly. I have tested and tested on just about every map I can find that uses the summer theme and have noticed NO FPS reduction or issues with game play.

And FYI, nearly half the textures in version 0.3 so far have file sizes smaller than the original files they are intended to replace. Modern image compression tools, a bit of effort and skill allow for more detail in a smaller file.

thanks z1812 and everyone else, This project Is a big one, but something I think A lot of people will enjoy. For those interested, here is a list of replacement textures included in version 0.3b I will release a soon as its completed.

Change Log:

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loSand1.jpg texture

12/11/07: Added terrain\high\water.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\high\crop1.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loGrass2_eu_dry.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loGrass1_eu_dry.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loField2.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loDirt_eu_dry.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loField4.jpg

12/11/07: Added terrain\low\loField1.jpg

13/11/07: Added low\loHeath.jpg

13/11/07: Added low\loGravel.jpg

13/11/07: Added low\loRock2.jpg

13/11/07: Added low\loDirt3.jpg

14/11/07: Added textures\woodland\traintrack.tga

14/11/07: Added textures\woodland\road1lanePaved.tga

14/11/07: Added textures\woodland\road2lanePaved.tga

14/11/07: Added textures\woodland\road4lanePaved.tga

14/11/07: Added textures\woodland\BR_stone.bmp

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaA.dds

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaAB.dds

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaABC.dds

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaAC.dds

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaB.dds

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaBC.dds

15/11/07: Added terrain\alpha\alphaC.dds

After working on replacment textures for the last few days I have understood a lot about themes and making maps that I did not know. One this is that SB offers the option to Add completely new textures. This would be a better solution in a number of ways for everyone, but worse in others,

For the better, people will not have to overwrite the stock textures and therefor the look and feel of current maps would not change, on the down side,, a complete new set of themes and maps using those themes would need to be created and everyone playing on these maps would require this pack for it to work, (kind of like an update that dose not let those without it play) My post here is to ask, Would the community be happy with the pack as it is (ie replacing stock textures) or should a make it as an upgrade and add the textures as new ones, requiring all who wish to play Highrez maps to have the pack installed? Please let me know your thoughts or any questions you have on this. S!

• Members

Given that we tailored the original file sizes to match the hardware requirements I think it's better to keep it as a mod. We can always rename the files at a later point and, providing you're happy with this, integrate it into a future official distribution - maybe along with an option for players to select high or low resolution textures.

As long as it is a mod it doesn't exclude players from participating in network sessions where otherwise a scenario might include a theme that would lead to error messages because texture files going beyond the original stock can't be found.

As long as it is a mod it doesn't exclude players from participating in network sessions where otherwise a scenario might include a theme that would lead to error messages because texture files going beyond the original stock can't be found.

yup, thats what I understood when I thought this one up and is the reason I was asking about mod vs 'patch' as a way to go. I know its a bit ahead of myself, but If I change now its less work to do later and less wasted effort now. This would require me to scrap most of what I have and start over, but would result in a better release. However it would require that all players wishing to play HR maps or maps with themes using HR textures, have this 'patch' installed. It would also include at least one remake of a current map using a custom theme based on HR textures to help users create other maps or modify existing ones to work with HR textures.

And I think it would be cool to include a high rez update in an official patch, but until I, along with the community are happy with it and adopt it as a 'standard' mod, nah,

so what happens if you do it as file replacement (i am not sure if that is patch or mod?), and some folks run it because they can and others do not because they do not have the graphics card for it? it sounds like this way is client side only, and the clients can be mixed freely - with and without the hirez pack. is that correct?

that might be one advantage to file replacement...as opposed to new maps/themes. it sounds like new maps/themes would require everyone to run the same map/theme to play MP.

so what happens if you do it as file replacement (i am not sure if that is patch or mod?), and some folks run it because they can and others do not because they do not have the graphics card for it? it sounds like this way is client side only, and the clients can be mixed freely - with and without the hirez pack. is that correct?

that might be one advantage to file replacement...as opposed to new maps/themes. it sounds like new maps/themes would require everyone to run the same map/theme to play MP.

If that would work then you could just make the ground textures light pink, and your opponents would never know you were cheating. ;)

yep, but it would not really allow me to produce a superior MOD, and it would not provide others with the chance to play the game on maps designed with the hi rez theme. Also a patch type mod would allow for the replacment of Tree, Grass other types of textures. and for the perhaps a fix for the winter themals, if its not included in an official patch beforehand.

i've added a couple of new screen shots over here

0.31 is there as well. Please let me know if you have problems. As it says in the read me file its only a beta and should bee treated as such. If your not sure you understand the file please do not in stall this version and let me know what your having trouble with, thanks and I hope you enjoy.

Over the next week I'm going to be working on new tree and bush textures. Hopfully I'll have them and any fixes to this one ready next week sometime. s!

I have yet to try any of your textures as of yet (I am afraid it would be too much for the poor hamster running my computer) but for future reference for when I get a larger hamster for my computer does “new” = a net gain of textures, or “new” = replacements? Especially when it comes to trees, bushes, etc?

Eisenschwein; thanks glad you like it.

MAXMAN; I knew they would turn some heads, not that many yet, but I'm still working on it.

does “new” = a net gain of textures, or “new” = replacements? Especially when it comes to trees, bushes, etc?

I guess its a bit of both, The pack contains files that over write stock files (including grass, bush and tree textures) used in some stock themes so replacment, But it also contains a set of high rez terrain textures for use with maps using the enclosed high rez theme. so a net gain there.

Well, if there can be a net gain for the terrain tiles, then I guess I will try the first request.

My only real complaint about the tiles that we have now in Pro PE is that we lack more terrain tiles that represent large swaths of rock (the schists, basalt, etc) as you may find them on large geologic faces which have been eroded. If you are willing to add this, I would be happy as a pig in shit.