Marder indirect fire?

ChrisWerb

Looking at the 4.0 video explaining the workings of the Marder. This video clearly shows a gunner's quadrant fitted inside the turret to the upper left. This, as I understand it, was fitted to, for example, US MBTs up to late model M60s, but never to the M1 series, for the purpose of indirect fire. Given the massive quantity of 20mm ammunition on the Marder, I could see some value in indirect fire, Vickers HMG style, with the vehicle (barrel heating/cooling permitting). That begs the question as to whether the HEI-T rounds were fitted with self destruct as was normally the case with ammunition used in a surface to air role (for obvious reasons!). Or prehaps the gunner's quadrant is fitted for another reason altogether such as accurate pre-registration on targets of fixed location. That would require accurate azimuth data though.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, the 20mm rounds will self-destruct. I think the quadrant's purpose is to facilitate night fighting (for the days before the thermal imager was fitted, or in case that the thermal imager fails). But NOT for indirect fire.

Yes, but night fighting is just one aspect. Its also very good for target reference/range-card(Geländespinne) use.