History of US Tanks.

Damian90

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dejawolf

Ok I have now solid confirmation that M1A2C front hull armor is thicker than in previous versions.

a71wDY0.jpg

This is M1A1M, it have same hull and turret dimensions as all M1A1's and M1A2's previous to M1A2C, notice where front lights and their bushguards are placed, just next to the edge where upper front hull plate joins with lower front plate.

3vGSCzL.jpg

And now M1A2C, it's clearly visible that the edge where upper front plate and lower front plate are welded togheter, is much further to the front compared to lights and their bushguards.

Edited by Damian90

• 1 month later...

I have interesting observation. The US Army M1A1SA and some M1A2SEPv1/v2 tanks, have serial numbers ending with letter M on their turrets. What does that mean?

cTpvMs0.jpg

FZS1Nyb.jpg

It means that the M suffix is a code for the NGAP or Next Generation Armor Package, as the same M suffix can be seen on the newest M1A2SEPv3 tanks.

gWsk73t.jpg

Ok, so what is the difference? Well, the M1A2SEPv3 have turret and hull front armor thicker than previous generations. My theory is that NGAP armor have two generations. 1st gen. NGAP was an upgrade for M1A1SA (possibly also M1A1FEP) and M1A2SEPv1/v2. Pic. M1A2SEPv2 and M1A2SEPv3

azkwzCj.jpg

While 2nd. gen. NGAP armor is an improved variant for M1A2SEPv3/v4, that is designed not only to protect against current modern threats but also possible future threats, by not only using improved armor composition, but also making it significantly thicker and heavier.

Yse5Lio.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It means that the M suffix is a code for the NGAP or Next Generation Armor Package, as the same M suffix can be seen on the newest M1A2SEPv3 tanks.

The "M" was the suffix of the serial number on the non-SA AIMS tank I received in 2007. I don't know what it's doing on the SEPv3, but at the time,  we were told it was for the new management system the tank had.

Edited by 3Star

55 minutes ago, 3Star said:

The "M" was the suffix of the serial number on the non-SA AIMS tank I received in 2007. I don't know what it's doing on the SEPv3, but at the time,  we were told it was for the new management system the tank had.

When is the last time you read a 9-2350-200-BD Manual? it will tell you the truth. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems we can see first M1A2SEPv2 tanks upgraded with series production, Trophy HV active protection system, heading for Defender Europe 2020. We can see armored boxes on turret roof, that probably contains electronics for Trophy HV. Also notice additional plates, which are most likely counterweights to better balance the turret, when Trophy HV is mounted. These plates might also serve as additional armor, M1A2SEPv3 does not need these additional counterweight/armor plates on turret front, cause it have already, thicker, reinforced front turret armor. These vehicles are in long range transport, so this is why modules containing Trophy radars, launchers and spare interceptor magazines with autoloaders are not seen, these are transported separately.

cO0UuAI.jpg
eeVy5Nm.jpg
SjnmcK0.jpg
Fptxl09.jpg
xQoym1y.jpg
6TC9pOR.jpg
WVGj1dr.jpg
RfTy9Y0.jpg

• 2 months later...

Recently Secretary of the US Army published photos from his visit at GDLS HQ. These photos presents GDLS prototypes for MPF (Mobile Protected Firepower) (light tank) program and OMFV (Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle) (new IFV) program.

MPF prototype:

uQwSZ0a.jpg

WQkWkbD.jpg

dw0sP3S.jpg

dif4P5T.jpg

Br8FdCx.jpg

OMFV prototype:

U6cewYk.jpg

7pPeRQB.jpg

aAgphtz.jpg

Edited by Damian90

3 hours ago, Damian90 said:

Recently Secretary of the US Army published photos from his visit at GDLS HQ. These photos presents GDLS prototypes for MPF (Mobile Protected Firepower) (light tank) program and OMFV (Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle) (new IFV) program.

MPF prototype:

OMFV prototype:

aAgphtz.jpg

Now that's a nice bus man!

Edited by stormrider_sp

18 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Just IMHO: "optionally manned" is one of the dumbest design decission you can make for an AFV.

It combined the downsides of a highly-automatized vehicle with the downsides of having to provide crew protection

I think this is a bit misleading terminology. To better understand the idea is to name it, optionally unmanned. Which means that normally vehicle operates manned, with crew inside. However if it is necessary, crew can get out of vehicle, and control it via terminal they take with themselfs.

This gives more flexibility to vehicle and used tactics.

2 hours ago, Damian90 said:

I think this is a bit misleading terminology. To better understand the idea is to name it, optionally unmanned. Which means that normally vehicle operates manned, with crew inside. However if it is necessary, crew can get out of vehicle, and control it via terminal they take with themselfs.

This gives more flexibility to vehicle and used tactics.

Wouldnt it be better to just field a cheaper UGV, perhaps even a swarm of them for just a fraction the weight?

1 hour ago, stormrider_sp said:

Wouldnt it be better to just field a cheaper UGV, perhaps even a swarm of them for just a fraction the weight?

And again US Army plans are misunderstood.

Yes OMFV will be optionally (un)manned for greater flexibility, however besides manned vehicles, also a family of robotic combat vehicles (RCV) will be fielded, including RCV-L (Light), RCV-M (Medium) and RCV-H (Heavy).

The manned vehicles will be:

1. OMFV (Optionall (un)Manned Fighting Vehicle) the new IFV that will replace the Bradley.
2. OMT (Otionally (un)Manned Tank) the new MBT that will replace the Abrams.
3. AMPV (Armored Multi Purpose Vehicle) a replacement for M113 family of vehicles.
4. MPF (Mobile Protected Firepower) a new light tank.

And these manned vehicles will be supported by RCV's.

D7vrq4dU0AE7iTa.jpg

PS. And here are some designs I found, and I assume these are some initial notional designs for the new OMT tank.

565WmEI.jpg
0FYDd5R.jpg

So crew (2 or 3) in hull, hull have super thick front armor + unmanned turret.

• 2 months later...

AEmj09l.jpg

PrKbXyH.jpg

msCOcr7.jpg

XklU0rE.jpg

DKhJimj.jpg

p6a0qJT.jpg

mJRcuIc.jpg

9l5zrR4.jpg

EDs4KDm.jpg

Ns4IlGj.jpg

DOb8MDN.jpg

nijAE0h.jpg

3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division received their newest M1A2SEPv3's.

NLqU1lk.jpg

xqGkWdc.jpg

o6AL7l6.jpg

FoFphbb.jpg

0hgObpY.jpg

YF08TKi.jpg

Meanwhile from Army Prepositioned Stock in Germany and Netherlands, US Army sends 30 additional M1A2SEPv2's reffited with Trophy HV active protection system to Poland. We have confirmed that that least 8 tanks will have Trophy HV radar and interceptor modules installed, while all tanks have electronics for the system already mounted.

• 2 weeks later...

N9i4QAB.jpg

ere we can see addon armor and ballast plates thickness, these are welded to turret front of M1A2SEPv2's equipped with Trophy HV active protection system. It also shows how much armor was factory standard thickened in M1A2SEPv3. We estimated with my friend these addon plates are ~160-180mm thick and M1A2SEPv3 front turret armor is turret more or less thicker by such value compared to previous M1A1 and M1A2 variants. Obviouslu this is only estimation, but the plate even seen by naked eye, is obviously thicker than 100mm.

• 3 months later...