Damian90

History of US Tanks.

Posted (edited)

@dejawolf

Ok I have now solid confirmation that M1A2C front hull armor is thicker than in previous versions.

a71wDY0.jpg

This is M1A1M, it have same hull and turret dimensions as all M1A1's and M1A2's previous to M1A2C, notice where front lights and their bushguards are placed, just next to the edge where upper front hull plate joins with lower front plate.

3vGSCzL.jpg

And now M1A2C, it's clearly visible that the edge where upper front plate and lower front plate are welded togheter, is much further to the front compared to lights and their bushguards.

Edited by Damian90

I have interesting observation. The US Army M1A1SA and some M1A2SEPv1/v2 tanks, have serial numbers ending with letter M on their turrets. What does that mean?

cTpvMs0.jpg

FZS1Nyb.jpg

It means that the M suffix is a code for the NGAP or Next Generation Armor Package, as the same M suffix can be seen on the newest M1A2SEPv3 tanks.

gWsk73t.jpg

Ok, so what is the difference? Well, the M1A2SEPv3 have turret and hull front armor thicker than previous generations. My theory is that NGAP armor have two generations. 1st gen. NGAP was an upgrade for M1A1SA (possibly also M1A1FEP) and M1A2SEPv1/v2. Pic. M1A2SEPv2 and M1A2SEPv3

azkwzCj.jpg

While 2nd. gen. NGAP armor is an improved variant for M1A2SEPv3/v4, that is designed not only to protect against current modern threats but also possible future threats, by not only using improved armor composition, but also making it significantly thicker and heavier.

Yse5Lio.jpg

Posted (edited)

It means that the M suffix is a code for the NGAP or Next Generation Armor Package, as the same M suffix can be seen on the newest M1A2SEPv3 tanks.

The "M" was the suffix of the serial number on the non-SA AIMS tank I received in 2007. I don't know what it's doing on the SEPv3, but at the time,  we were told it was for the new management system the tank had.

Edited by 3Star

55 minutes ago, 3Star said:

The "M" was the suffix of the serial number on the non-SA AIMS tank I received in 2007. I don't know what it's doing on the SEPv3, but at the time,  we were told it was for the new management system the tank had.

When is the last time you read a 9-2350-200-BD Manual? it will tell you the truth. 

It's beginning to look a bit silly. Not that I doubt that it's an improvement, but further elongation doesn't appear feasible.