Duty cars

Grenny

12 minutes ago, Grenny said:

When I started in the army they said:"Every soldier is an Anti-tank-soldier"

Now it is: "Every Soldiers is a climate protector"...so now I have this a on-duty-car :-D

E-up.jpg

Brings a whole new meaning to the letters PC. LoL

• Administrators
On 9/23/2016 at 0:59 PM, Grenny said:

When I started in the army they said:"Every soldier is an Anti-tank-soldier"

Now it is: "Every Soldiers is a climate protector"...so now I have this a on-duty-car :-D

E-up.jpg

How far can you drive before needing a charge?

The e-up! can drive 160 km on one battery charge (18.7 kWh), while the e-Golf with its larger battery (24.2 kWh) has a range of 190 km. In both models, two very efficient driving modes ("Eco", "Eco+") and four just as easy to activate regenerative braking modes ("D1", "D2", "D3" and "B") help to extend maximum ranges. And they are driving ranges that make sense. In Germany, for example, studies by the Federal Ministry for Transport, Building and Urban Development found that around 80 per cent of all car drivers in Germany drive fewer than 50 km daily.

Quick charging. The fastest CCS charging stations (direct current) shorten the time needed to charge the battery of an e-up! or an e-Golf to 80 per cent capacity to just around half an hour

Edited by 12Alfa

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/25/2016 at 10:30 PM, Gibsonm said:

Just be thankful they don't decide to put a Hydrogen cell in there instead of diesel. :)

If you designed it right it

I.E. put the gas tanks on the outside of the armour, kept the pressure down (say under 50 bar) and integrating bursting features, etc.

Hydrogen wouldn't be any worse than petrol.

If anything with current materials technology, it 'd potentially be safer.

Hydrogen is a quick flash burn with no residual liquids.

Diesel once it gets going burns really bloody well.

And Petrol well the vapour it gives off well you know ..

Anyway Diesel and Petrol are slower burns.

The issue is when the storage tank splits you want the gas out of there and dispersed as fast as possible.

So a composite carbon / fiberglass storage tank is what you want, they split length ways quite well, a nice big surface area for that high pressure gas to escape through and away from the vehicle where it can't do "any harm" (Unless some poor bugger is standing there).

This is what they use on current fuel cell powered cars.

The idea is to get the gas out and away from the passenger compartment, once it's burned off there's no flammable liquid remaining, it gone and dealt with.

But the big tactical advantages with a fuel cell based propulsion system would be:

as previously mentioned low down torque - quick getaways and towing power.

98% drive efficiency (So you could get away with less fuel, if they'd let you)

Silent idle - Only track movements would be giving off noise, no need for an APU, (fuel cell converts in line with real time power requirements)

Enhanced weight distribution.

Water as a by product (If you really wanted, and depending on amount generated, could be tapped and filtered for the crew.)

You could even use hydrogen as a propellant for the main and secondary armaments, one day, many years in the future. 

(But then you'd have high pressure gas lines in the fighting compartment, and that's a big no-no.)

Don't get me wrong, Hydrogen is probably about a decade away from being a mature technology....

But who knows the Leopard 3 or 4 might be powered by it.

:)

The main issue is separating the hydrogen from what its attached to.

But.

Nuclear submarines use electrolysis, so it is possible. (OK they want the oxygen in that case, the hydrogen is disposed of in some way)

You'd just need to invest in making it a commercially viable proposition.

Which is the main issue with maturing technologies, making it mass produce-able.