Intro and quick question

T9FURY

36 minutes ago, T9FURY said:

I thought the up arrow slews the commander to the gun? Or is it just different for each vehicle? I know on the Chally 2 it definitely slews the commander to the gun, i need it the other way round.

Cheers

The up arrow does two things in the Challenger 2. From the wiki:

UP ARROW: Multipurpose. When in the TC's eye view F1, pressing this key will cause the TC to face in the direction of the gun (turret). When in the TC's PERI, initiate Override.

DOWN ARROW: Multipurpose. When in the TC's eye view F1, pressing this key will cause the TC to face to the rear of the turret. When in the TC's PERI, releases control of the gun back to the gunner when overriding

Ok I don't think I explained myself correctly so here is the scenario. I am trying to find the quickest way of getting the main gun locked onto a target.

GUNNERS POS - This is easy, if I have spotted it I just shoot straight away, if the commander has spotted it he slews the gun in the right direction then I fire.

COMMANDERS POSITION (PERISCOPE) - Again this is easy once I initiate override as the gun just follows where I am looking.

COMMANDERS POSITION UNBUTTONED - This is where it gets tricky, when I roll I normally inhabit the Observer Position (F8) or the Commanders Position (F7) unbuttoned and in Bino view (N). So lets say the main gun is scanning to the front, and I spot an enemy tank trying to make a flank attack to my right I want the gunner to swing the gun as fast as possible to the target.

I currently do one of two things;

- B key to button up

- Move mouse view to Periscope and click

- Left Click to override and slew the gun to target

or

- Press F6 (Gunners Position)

- Rotate the gun to target.

Now in those split seconds the target might have spotted me already and took me out or between the time I have buttoned up or switched positions I might have lost the target. So basically is there a way I can tell the gunner there is a target so he can start rotating the turret WHILE I am buttoning up and doing the rest of the stuff.

OR

Instead of buttoning up I might want to just lower myself into the turret so I still have eyes on the target but still need to tell the gunner to rotate, in reality all crew members would be wearing a headset so it's just a matter of talking to them. Although as I have never driven a Chally I don't know what the exact ACTION procedure is. When I was a crew member of a Scimitar everything was manual so the commander just shouted at the gunner to rotate. All this was done at the same time as him ducking down into his hatch.

Well F8 is a bit of an abstract so its not the same as being the in the Crew Commander's position.

Think of it as the DS riding in the turret basket.

They have better SA but can't easily influence the crew from that position.

From memory, hitting "I" while in F7 brings the Gunner "On" for whatever you are looking at.

If you look at the M1A1 Tutorial there is one called "TC B" which I think covers it off.

It maybe only M1A1 specific though, but shouldn't confuse things by adding CITVs and other more advanced systems.

Edited by Gibsonm
Added piece about Tutorial

2 hours ago, T9FURY said:

So basically is there a way I can tell the gunner there is a target so he can start rotating the turret WHILE I am buttoning up and doing the rest of the stuff.

Getting your gunner on-target when you have your head out of the hatch. A number of ways to accomplish this.

When you spot your target, tell the gunner to scan in that direction using shift/left-arrow shift/up-arrow or shift/right-arrow. As the ai slews to that area he should see the threat and call "identified" ( or "on" for your Brits). [This is pending the fixing of the bug just noted here:

Or ... click your vehicle icon in the lower right, and look for "suppress here" in the context menu.  Click on the threat with the white marker/cursor. The ai gunner should slew to your target and engage. [There's also a post-4.0 command to "shoot here" and supposedly a hotkey "T" but I can't get that to work myself.]

Or ... If the vehicle you're in has the capability (M1's, M60, Leo 1's, most IFVs) press the override button specific to that vehicle (most cases P, but not all) and slew the turret yourself toward the threat. This doesn't work in vehicles without this functionality, like the Challenger and Scimitar, as you've noted.

• Members

Yes... but these are all (not too convincing) workarounds. The fundamental problem is that the gunner will only engage targets after you (the player) designated them explicitly whereas he used to at least report that he spotted a target and asked you to confirm the fire order. That no longer seems to be the case, which is bad.

Thanks for the info again guys, muchly appreciated, I should be on it again tonight so I will have a bash at all of them. I guess because I ride a lot from the observers position it would really be realistic if I could give commands from there. I did not know about the context menu for the icons at the bottom, maybe I should read the manual as well as do the tuts. I did know about the T and I commands but just didn't do anything while in the Chally.

9 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

Also, if youre using the Scimitar, dont.

Scimitar is fine.

You just have to work within the accurately modelled limitations.

It performs exactly the same as the one I spent three weeks in on/near the inner German border in 1989.

If you want an "easy" vehicle, just drive something else.

I guess because I ride a lot from the observers position it would really be realistic if I could give commands from there.

Well you'll need a pretty long comms cable to use your IC standing up, floating above the engine deck. :)

If you are "Observing" then you are observing to AI crew, not commanding them.

I did know about the T and I commands but just didn't do anything while in the Chally.

Probably because they operate when you are the Crew Commander (F7), not the Observer (F8).

Edited by Gibsonm

On 10/10/2016 at 7:49 PM, Gibsonm said:

If you want an "easy" vehicle, just drive something else.

Nah I don't want easy stuff, or I would stay with WoT, lol.

It'll just take some getting used to that's all. Just found it weird that you can tell the driver to go to a hull down position etc but the other commands didn't work. As I said once I get used to what works where I'll be fine. All I have done is create a mission with 10 trucks in it so I can practice moving around getting used to switching positions quickly or giving commands quickly. When I am ready I will put something n there that shoots back.

• 2 weeks later...

BLOODY HELL!!!!!! I figured it out :D. I have to admit some of the stuff you guys mentioned above didn't make sense. Now..... there is a very good reason for this, I didn't read the bloody wiki. So this comment threw me out.

On 10/9/2016 at 9:59 PM, Mirzayev said:

The up arrow does two things in the Challenger 2. From the wiki:

UP ARROW: Multipurpose. When in the TC's eye view F1, pressing this key will cause the TC to face in the direction of the gun (turret). When in the TC's PERI, initiate Override.

DOWN ARROW: Multipurpose. When in the TC's eye view F1, pressing this key will cause the TC to face to the rear of the turret. When in the TC's PERI, releases control of the gun back to the gunner when overriding

When I have been practicing I spent most of the time in the observers position or the commanders unbuttoned position and zoomed in, then when a target was spotted I would go straight to the gunners sight but for some reason the commander was not slewing the gun to the target and that was why I was getting taken out so easily. So I ran over all your posts again and again, and thought what the hell is this dual function thingy, so I finally read the wiki on the Chally and found the bit about the F2 and F3 having different functions depending on whether you are in the TC or Gunners position. And then that opened up my eyes to all the other commands available like swinging the gun round. It's amazing what you learn if yo read the instructions, lol.

Anyway, on the map I created with 10 static BMPS I could only kill about 2 or 3 before getting wiped out, but after practicing tonight with all the info I have from you guys and the wiki I managed to take them all out and only took 1 hit with no damage, so I am well happy now. Next I will have the BMPs moving, then move on to some MBTs. Then onto the training maps that are in those starter packs. Hopefully the new found skills will work great.

One more question, as I haven't driven a real Chally, but what I would like to know is, in the real thing does the commander designate a target? For some reason I was under the impression if the commander is looking through his various scopes and spots a target he just pressed a button and the gun automatically swung round for the lay, then the gunner lased and blased? I take it this isn't the case? Currently what I am doing now is looking through the commanders peri and if a target is spotted I hold the P key to slew the gun, but sometimes the gunner doesn't say he has spotted the target, I press space for him to fire, but he doesn't so this forces me to take the gunners seat to take it out myself. While shooting is fun sometimes it can waste critical seconds.

Also one last request, in a future update would it be possible to get some Chally commander tutorals.

Thanks

1 hour ago, T9FURY said:

One more question, as I haven't driven a real Chally, but what I would like to know is, in the real thing does the commander designate a target? For some reason I was under the impression if the commander is looking through his various scopes and spots a target he just pressed a button and the gun automatically swung round for the lay, then the gunner lased and blased? I take it this isn't the case? Currently what I am doing now is looking through the commanders peri and if a target is spotted I hold the P key to slew the gun, but sometimes the gunner doesn't say he has spotted the target, I press space for him to fire, but he doesn't so this forces me to take the gunners seat to take it out myself. While shooting is fun sometimes it can waste critical seconds.

Just like the real thing, you can designate a target by going to the Commander's Periscope (F3), pressing the Up Key, and then pressing the Down Key when the Gunner announces "Identified!" Once he has done this, simply press Space for him to fire. There is no need to slew the gun if you are using the Commander's Periscope. Also, keep in mind that the Commander's Periscope is not equipped with thermals.

Sometimes the AI just doesn't see the target. If that happens, shoot it yourself. There really isn't a way around that. 

Yeah there were a couple of times the gunner wouldn't identify so I had to shoot them myself, another instance was when I went over the brow of a hill real slow and came across a BMP literally right in front of me, panic mode, pants filled, gunner would not fire, so I switched to his position only to find I was out of ammo, lol, quick retreat while the BMP fired one across my hull.

I just can't wait until I do some serious ops.

On 9/23/2016 at 4:03 PM, Gibsonm said:

If no one it going to use it I might as well just delete the page and then new people can be overwhelmed by a pack of 2nd hand car salesmen saying "pick me".

Please don't.  I have used this stuff from day one when it was available.  I also point new people I run into towards it in answer to many of their questions.