Bought the month trial, thinking about the full game

Chaosduck7

Hi, so I am an avid arma 3 player and I am thinking of getting this game. I have some questions though

1. If I buy the 125 dollar full package, will my friend be able to come over with his laptop and play lan with me? Or does that require me buying something else?

2. Is there a repository of community missions for this game, like the steam workshop for arma 3? 

3. Arma 3 has a mod called "ALIVE" where it generates a dynamic battlefield where you dont know what types of enemies are in the map and where they are. Does steel beasts editor have something like this or do you have to hand place each and every single unit down? As someone who mainly plays single player, this would be a disadvantage because when I would make missions, I would know exactly what to expect and where the enemies are. I dont mind the lack of dynamic campaign too much, as long as there is a feature to allow generation of dynamic missions.

Also a side questions about the abrams

Does this thing really have no commander periscope? As far as I can tell and from what ive read, the only option the commander has besides the viewports and turning out is have a sight that is slaved to what the gunner sees. In order for him to look around with that though, he would have to interupt the gunner. Is there no independent way to scan for targets while the gunner is doing his own thing? Even the t72 has that feature. 

Thanks!

Don't know much about your numbered questions, but the M1A1 has a remote controlled machine gun for the commander that you can use as a worse version of a periscope. You can't control the gun through there though, as far as I know. The M1A2 has a very nice thermal-equipped periscope for the commander, so you might want to try that out.

• Members
49 minutes ago, Chaosduck7 said:

1. If I buy the 125 dollar full package, will my friend be able to come over with his laptop and play lan with me? Or does that require me buying something else?

I would recommend a $25.- "secondary license". You would need to configure your PC as a license server in your LAN, but that's really easy.

Alternatively your friend could buy a time-based license for his own notebook, so he could also play while not at your place.

2. Is there a repository of community missions for this game, like the steam workshop for arma 3? 

You would find most scenarios, maps, and mods right here, in the Downloads section (see the navigation bat at the very top).

3. Arma 3 has a mod called "ALIVE" where it generates a dynamic battlefield where you dont know what types of enemies are in the map and where they are. Does steel beasts editor have something like this or do you have to hand place each and every single unit down? As someone who mainly plays single player, this would be a disadvantage because when I would make missions, I would know exactly what to expect and where the enemies are. I dont mind the lack of dynamic campaign too much, as long as there is a feature to allow generation of dynamic missions.

1. No "utterly" random enemies, but you can randomize inside of the Mission Editor with the help of the "Spawn, if..." condition, and make the spawned units randomly jump to one of several starting positions. This would usually be enough to give you a fair bit of uncertainty and replay value.
  2. Also, if you give your enemy one of five random positions each, and have five possible enemy force compositions, even IF you know your scenario you would still not be entirely sure what you're up against. So you can make a mission and still not automatically win it.
  3. Finally, you can jack up the difficulty level by playing on "hard" difficulty, not going to the gunnery range (or playing with a player profile that has a bad gunnery rating), and by selecting Blue and Red forces and their ammunition. It makes a big difference if the enemy has T-90s or T-72M4s with BM-32 APFSDS while you're stuck with Leopard 1 and M735, or if you pick the M1A2 SEP for yourself and go out to kick some poor T-55s around. Or send one side without any tanks against a side that only has "obsolete junk" and see what happens.

I'm pretty certain that SB Pro offers you all the tools that you need to modify scenarios to your heart's content, as long as you're willing to accept that the design concepts and the user interface principles are different from ArmA. In both games you can achieve similar results, but you need to follow a different path to get there.

Does this thing really have no commander periscope? As far as I can tell and from what ive read, the only option the commander has besides the viewports and turning out is have a sight that is slaved to what the gunner sees. In order for him to look around with that though, he would have to interupt the gunner. Is there no independent way to scan for targets while the gunner is doing his own thing? Even the t72 has that feature. 

Yes, the M1A1 is a bit frugal, as far as the commander's place is concerned.

1 hour ago, Chaosduck7 said:

So depending on which version of the M1 you have in a given scenario (there are five represented) you may or may not have an independent "periscope".

The M1A2 SEP has an independent CITV, the others don't - but that's how it is in real life.

21 minutes ago, Chaosduck7 said:

Thanks guys. Some more questions

Does the 120 dollar version come with a physical manual? 

Are there crew voices besides american english? Like russian/german? 

The $125 version comes with a full license and a shipped CodeMeter stick; a physical manual costs $15.90. The game includes an electric manual in the download.

There are different crew voices, depending on the language you select under options. I know for a fact there are Russian/German Crew voices. If you want to run in one language (say American English) but use another language's crew commands (say, Russian), you can always mod the game.