New light US designed tank demonstrator

Marko

Not sure if this has already been posted but what an interesting AFV

It uses the UK Ajax hull a much lighter version of the M1 turret and has a 120 cannon on a 27 ton platform.

Only speculation on my part but I should imagine using already developed technology and merging platforms should significantly reduce purchasing costs.

Mite make for a good addition to the British army as well.

As far as I know the UK does not have a light tank for rapid deployment fire support.

Edited by Marko

19 hours ago, Grenny said:

Guess it will be advertised as the next new thing and replace the CR2 :-P

I don't see why in the future lighter Tanks cant do the same job as the heavy's.

With the advances being made in electronic and  active protection systems.

Will future designs need to be between six and seventy tons don't know if were there yet.

But I reckon they will be sooner rather then later, 

With the high cost and time it takes to replace Tanks surly its the next evolutionary upgrade for armour.

The T-14 already has them as a standard fit.

On 10/8/2016 at 7:11 PM, Marko said:

I don't see why in the future lighter Tanks cant do the same job as the heavy's.

With the advances being made in electronic and  active protection systems.

Will future designs need to be between six and seventy tons don't know if were there yet.

But I reckon they will be sooner rather then later, 

With the high cost and time it takes to replace Tanks surly its the next evolutionary upgrade for armour.

The T-14 already has them as a standard fit.

APS is only a supplement to passive armour arrays.

If you had an M1 firing an APFSDS at this demonstrator and the APS intercepted the Long Rod Penetrator, the LRP would still have enough energy to perforate the lighter turret, even if it did come in sideways.

This is why the newer Leopards boast some of the best frontal turret armour around.

Those wedge pieces (although passive) on the front are in addition to what would be the Leo 2A4 turret shapes existing armour.

And the wedge pieces perform much the same job as an APS, they deflect the round off of its preferred course, and because of inherent performance characteristics of LRPs this is enough for the 2A5's "native armour" (2A4 shape) to defeat the round.

This is why you will still need heavy armour, only they have the ability to take an APFSDS hit and keep running.

Against an ATGM HEAT round i think with APS running the demonstrator might have half a chance, but the blast effect would probably do some serious damage to a lighter platform.

And APS is not infallible.