Is the random number variable in the editor the best we have for creating random and "dynamic" missions?

Chaosduck7

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Check the number you have set to spawn and the time intervals you have them set to spawn.  

I had it set at 50 units to spawn every 10 seconds. 

I dont see an option to just make them all spawn at the same time, i guess the only way is just a continuous spawn of some sort?

edit: sorry i meant 20 units

Edited by Chaosduck7

1 minute ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

There is no way to spawn them all at once, the lowest variable is either 5 or 10 seconds. 

yeah so it seems like no mater what, every interval it will keep spawning units as long as the maximum number has not been met. 

I see what people mean when they say its meant for civ traffic

Its kinda a shame because its great for infantry. They walk around like they are on patrol and they shoot at enemies. 

Edited by Chaosduck7

15 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

You can spawn anything using the Spawn/Drain zones. 

I will sometimes use spawn/drain zones to simulate an enemy attack. It is good for randomizing units and spawn locations. 

I've also used spawn zones to simulate insurgents patrolling a city/town. 

Please Apocalypse 31 can you upload some template of ALL that ? It can be a great starting point to the almost-green at editing like... me :$ Thanks!

I usually never survive my spawn/ drain scenarios, the spawned units always over run my positions lol.  Good luck finding a way to use spawn/drain through conditions or events as the current logic tools in the game don't support it other than direct management of the spawn/ drain feature.

6 hours ago, Chaosduck7 said:

yeah so it seems like no mater what, every interval it will keep spawning units as long as the maximum number has not been met. 

I see what people mean when they say its meant for civ traffic

Its kinda a shame because its great for infantry. They walk around like they are on patrol and they shoot at enemies. 

Logic, isn't it: you tell it to spwan 20 units, it will do so. The Units you select are just a templete to create random spawn object from. Otherwise if you just select 5 unit types and select to spawn 20....it would stop after 5 units get killed. Which i would find illogical.

That said, what do you want to achieve with the spawn zone? Maybe there is a workaround.

21 hours ago, Grenny said:

Logic, isn't it: you tell it to spwan 20 units, it will do so. The Units you select are just a templete to create random spawn object from. Otherwise if you just select 5 unit types and select to spawn 20....it would stop after 5 units get killed. Which i would find illogical.

That said, what do you want to achieve with the spawn zone? Maybe there is a workaround.

Mostly random patrols would be great, especially for infantry or light vehicles like technicals.

For the big guns like tanks and such, I would probably stick with manually randomizing the spawn points myself with the "jump to end if" logic. 

On 10/9/2016 at 9:15 PM, Chaosduck7 said:

I had it set at 50 units to spawn every 10 seconds. 

I dont see an option to just make them all spawn at the same time, i guess the only way is just a continuous spawn of some sort?

edit: sorry i meant 20 units

Spawn X,y,z,d, at mission time XXX maybe, or if unit 2/1 is KIA maybe?

Question, when you use "Spawn if" and have a random variable, what is the "New" option? I know the game spawns like 62ish random numbers from x1, x2, x3 ....etc. 

So is there any purpose to selecting "New" instead of one of the x variables?

Is it just a straight probability independent of the x variables that the game creates?

• Members

You know, there's a big chapter in the user's manual devoted to all this, including a functional description of what the random variables do. That said, XNew is probably unsuitable for your task. XNew has no fixed value throughout the mission. It's the die that gets rolled again and again. The problem is that with a spawn condition you can't ascertain WHEN the condition is being evaluated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10.10.2016 at 2:07 AM, Chaosduck7 said:

I tried setting a time limit to stop spawning, like 5 minutes but after the time is up, it actually removes all the units it spawned. 

We tried to replicate this, but in our tests things work as intended. Can you upload a scenario here that demonstrates your case (with as few other elements in it as possible).