Callsigns

Koen

Hi,

1) What are the usual callsigns for the platoons of a US tank-company ?

Is the following correct or standard - Alpha coy : Red (M1A1) - White (M1A1) - Blue (Mech) - Alpha 6 (CO) - Alpha 5 (XO) ???

2) And what are the usual callsigns for the platoons of a German tank-company ?

Would the following, that I invented for a scenario, be acceptable for a German tank-company ? :

Lynx (Leo) - Bear 2 (Leo) - Bear 3 (Leo) - Viper (Marder) - Sunray (CO).

(N.B. I put those "German" callsigns in English, to make things easier for English-speaking players).

Thx,

Koen.

For German units: We usually use names of animals, they must be coordinatet between units, but are freely choosen.

(weiß jemand ob es da eine ZDv gibt??)

So with your callsigns you pretty much right.

During one exercise we had callsigns from the "Jungle-book"....I was "Kah the snake" :)

The units I was in used "Black" for the HQ section, not "Alpha," and the platoon colors were sometimes in a different order. My ITV platoon was E Co, 2d Plt, but we were "Red", not "White."

Some units are sticklers for going by the SOI, and don't use "friendly" callsigns at all.

In my Armored Cav Troop we were this way:

Black = HQ Command/Tactical Units (Black 6 - CO, 5=XO, 7=1SG, 8=HQ Plt. Sgt., 9=Mortar Sec. Ldr.)

Gold = HQ Plt Maintenance Assets.

Red = 1st Plt. (For all the Platoons, 1 = Plt. Ldr., 4= Plt. Sgt., any others were wing units)

White = 2nd Plt.

Blue = 3rd Plt.

Green = 4th Plt.

These colors were only used on the troop radio net. If we went off the net we used our Troop callsign and unit designation. (So since I was in I Troop, the CO would contact another troop commander as Invader 6 and not Black 6.)

• 11 years later...

I realise I'm resurrecting a dead and buried thread here but I'm developing a scenario featuring a company team of 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment (2-5 CAV) of 1st Cavalry Division in the 1987 time frame (using M2A1s and IPM1s). To create a callsign template that's generic (i.e. doesn't need to be perfect) but as realistic as possible, I'm thinking about using JT-I-3/11's structure below:

Black = HQ Command/Tactical Units (Black 6 - CO, 5=XO, 7=1SG, 8=HQ Plt. Sgt., 9=Mortar Sec. Ldr.)

Red = 1st Plt. (For all the Platoons, 1 = Plt. Ldr., 4= Plt. Sgt., any others were wing units)

White = 2nd Plt.

Blue = 3rd Plt.

Green = 4th Plt.

These colors were only used on the troop radio net. If we went off the net we used our Troop callsign and unit designation. (So since I was in I Troop, the CO would contact another troop commander as Invader 6 and not Black 6.)

Can anyone add any more information? Specifically, what would be a compatible callsign for an attached FIST-V team? Would that user the niner suffix if there's no mortar section?

Any additional guidance gratefully received.

I realise I'm resurrecting a dead and buried thread here but I'm developing a scenario featuring a company team of 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment (2-5 CAV) of 1st Cavalry Division in the 1987 time frame (using M2A1s and IPM1s). To create a callsign template that's generic (i.e. doesn't need to be perfect) but as realistic as possible, I'm thinking about using JT-I-3/11's structure below:

Can anyone add any more information? Specifically, what would be a compatible callsign for an attached FIST-V team? Would that user the niner suffix if there's no mortar section?

Any additional guidance gratefully received.

If it were 1979 to '83 it would be 2nd Squadron, 5th Cavalry Regiment. 2/5 Cav. If (or when) this was changed I do not know.

On our platoon and Troop/Company nets, in the Cavalry Troops and Armored Companies that I served in, only the vehicle numbers were used (ie. two-five, one-three, three-eight). If someone not from our trp./co. called on our net "Alpha," "Bravo," or "Charlie" was used (A-14, B-25, C-23). COs and platoon leaders were always refered to as "Six" ("Six-Six," "One-Six," etc...). "Six-Five" was the XO.

Sometimes stateside and almost always in Germany we used a CEOI to encript our call signs (and other comunications deamed sensitive enough) so there was no relation to the unit/vehicle numbers and radio call signs used.

White = 2nd Plt.

Blue = 3rd Plt.

Green = 4th Plt.

Invader, I was in Leadhorse Blue.

Thanks guys. I've completed baseline Red scripting and Blue placement so only need to finalise scoring (75% complete) and write the full briefing (20% drafted). As of last night it's ready to start Alpha testing and, once everything's done, final Beta testing. Assuming all goes well I anticipate publishing toward the end of November.

in U.S, your right about colors.

1st platoon is red platoon, 2nd platoon is white platoon, third platoon is blue platoon, and fourth platoon is green platoon (in troops that have four platoons, like an armored cavalry troop)

Not in my unit, they weren't.

We used a callsign for the company, and an all-numerical system for platoon and below. So Bronco 11 was first platoon leader, and 34 was third platoon sergeant. 6 was the company commander, 5 the XO, 7 the 1SG, 53 the FSO, 51 and 52 the mortar carriers.

Not in my unit, they weren't.

We used a callsign for the company, and an all-numerical system for platoon and below. So Bronco 11 was first platoon leader, and 34 was third platoon sergeant. 6 was the company commander, 5 the XO, 7 the 1SG, 53 the FSO, 51 and 52 the mortar carriers.

Thanks outontheop, this is helpful. I'm swinging back towards using alpha-numeric callsigns in the template. It looks like callsigns for the FSO and mortars (where available) were unit-specific (5x in some cases, 9 in others), is that a fair assessment? What was the numeric callsign generally given to the CSS assets (recovery (if attached), repair, supply, medic etc.) in a US company/team?

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

I just found this fixed callsign template for US cavalry troops in FM 17-97 Cavalry Troop from October 1995 that can be used for reference and recreated in Steel Beasts: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71686353/Fixed Callsigns_FM 17-97 Cavalry Troop_Oct 95.xps

Of course you could just used the force template in SB Ver 4.x extracted from RT Mission 2.

Then you'd get the gear and the callsigns. :)

GaryOwen and I got it pretty right for 1991.

Edited by Gibsonm