Operation Scorpion missions 1&2 up soon.

cobrabase

Within an hour Operation Scorpion missions 1 and 2 will be up but not at steelbeasts.com because of the 100MB size barrier.  These are the first two missions of a series of 4 that have voice-over work from the sim community.  The files are compressed in RAR format but because SB Pro 4.006 only allows WAV format audio I could not make the files any smaller.  

More information together with a briefing soon. 

Edited by cobrabase

Mission #2 Notes

Operation Scorpion Part 2 - Contact with advance guard

Single player mission

Hanover Germany near Langenhagen.
Day 3 of the War.

SITUATION:
U.S. forces have shifted north after the diversion attack at Fulda.  The true axis of the Soviet armored attack is heading for the German industrial heartland.    If the Soviet armored onslaught cannot be stopped here only the nuclear option remains.   

The advanced guard for the 2nd echelon 7th Soviet Guards Division is roughly 20 minutes away from contact with our forward scouts.  Position your forces now. 

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior support on loan from 10th Mountain Division-  Set the scout route but no further east than defense-line BUZZER or you risk being spotted. 

COMMS:

"Condor" - Company commander - (voiced by Cobra)

"Hammer" - 1st platoon leader  1st Lt. Daniels - (voiced byTim Sielbeck)

"Torch" - 2nd tank platoon leader Sgt. Wilkinson (voiced by Alex Hahn)

"Recoil" - 3rd platoon bradley leader 1st Lt Dearborn (voiced by FalconKPD)

"Colt" - 4th platoon bradley leader Master Sergeant Hawkins (voiced by Krause)

"Fox" - Forward observer group (voiced by Alex Hahn)

"Spur"- Ranger Recon (voiced by Dunadan)

"Ramrod" - M109A3 Battery commander (voiced by Cobra)

"Soda Straw" - 10th Mtn Division OH-58D Kiowa Warrior (voiced by Cobra)

"Six" - Colonel Chaffee at the TOC (voiced by Cobra)

Extra notes:

All sound files must be dropped in your esim folder under "media" for all the custom soundwork to work properly.  

This scenario was put together with the help of the voices above and with the best intelligence available regarding forces in the AO of the era.  While normally the BOAR would be handling the area to the northwest of Hanover, in this scenario a feint to the south has drawn British forces away due to soon forseen issues of war leaving US armor forces rushing to meet the enemy.

After consulting SSnake, the following airport, Langtenhagen, is NOT municipal in real life nor is it to the north-east of Hanover (it is to the north-west).  Thank you Nils.

Also, UAV visuals were used seeing how the best I can do in terms of using the mast-mounted systems of the OH-58D at tree-top level.  This is due to current limitations in SB Pro.

Ammunition in both tanks and in the hands of infantry is as accurate as possible to this era.  

The challenge of this mission is to defend a wide area.  The advancing forces are the advance guard of a Soviet tank regiment.  The main body of this regiment will be seen in missions 3 and 4 in this series.   Do not allow Soviet forces to approach beyond defense-line gauntlet or you lose the mission.  

Helicopter support through OH-58D is available along with M109 support to the north.   

Should you have issues or spot bugs please contact Cobrabase so that I can remedy the issue and build a more realistic experience. No doubt some issue will arise. 

Missions 3 and 4 are in the works as I write this. 

A special thanks goes to my "voice platoon" for donating their time for all of the platoon leaders.  Enjoy!

Mission #1 - Introduction at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_o5UnnEGdxfQTFJeUx3cWd4R2M/view?usp=sharing

Mission #2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_o5UnnEGdxfTXFSUmdrbjRDbFk/view?usp=sharing

Currently mission-end logic is disabled due to strange results.  I plan to solve these issues with a future refined release.   The mission will NOT currently end if red forces break the inner defense line. 

Edited by cobrabase

My LP

the sound production was amazing - the little details like keeping the rumble of battle going on keeps the immersion going through the mission, really feels like I'm stuck in West Germany here in Cold War gone got!

what map did this terrain use? I'm guessing Fulda? 

I decided to hold back the ITV'S, using the Bradley's and M1's to the middle and the artillery to counter battery theirs. Thank god we don't have counter-battery radar implemented for real or I'd have problems! 

Edited by ghostdog688

16 hours ago, ghostdog688 said:

My LP

the sound production was amazing - the little details like keeping the rumble of battle going on keeps the immersion going through the mission, really feels like I'm stuck in West Germany here in Cold War gone got!

what map did this terrain use? I'm guessing Fulda? 

I decided to hold back the ITV'S, using the Bradley's and M1's to the middle and the artillery to counter battery theirs. Thank god we don't have counter-battery radar implemented for real or I'd have problems! 

I used an accurate map for an accurate scenario - Hanover. : D  Fulda is south-east and would clearly have looked wrong with the mountains.  The enemy 2S1s are set to "blind" otherwise they would have engaged your airborne assets with 12.7mm.

On 05/11/2016 at 3:18 PM, cobrabase said:

I used an accurate map for an accurate scenario - Hanover. : D  Fulda is south-east and would clearly have looked wrong with the mountains.  The enemy 2S1s are set to "blind" otherwise they would have engaged your airborne assets with 12.7mm.

Thanks to your mention of the map used, I found Alfield for my own scenario!

to be fair, I wouldn't have minded overly if they had engaged me with DShKM, at least I would've found them and gotten the hell out lol. I had the chopper set to scout patrol, so it should have bugged out on contact.

On 06/11/2016 at 0:13 AM, cobrabase said:

Update on mission 3.  On schedule but no ETA. 

Mission 3 will have:

-Close air support

-First half of the main body of a Soviet Regiment of T-64Bs

-Random enemy routes

-Continued voice-support from the community

I was wondering how long you would wait for the t-64 onslaught... I hope you packed us full of SABOT! :)

2 hours ago, ghostdog688 said:

I was wondering how long you would wait for the t-64 onslaught... I hope you packed us full of SABOT! :)

You have resupply.  I studied how far ahead the advanced guard would be and Soviet tactics when resistance is encountered along with the timeline they would take to prep before the main force heads in.... it would be about 1.5 to 2 hours behind the Advance guard.... and that's not with A-10s and F-111s bombing them. 

Ok, played the mission 2 today again.

Great results, no casualties on my side (heck not even single of my vehicles got hit!), I completely obliterated enemy forces.

Dunno if I can post here some of my observations, and how I got through the mission, @cobrabase?

But the mission is interesting, as it demands patience for some time before the real first contact.

Also hint, do not use DPICM on enemy arty, it's a waste of ammo, especially that they like to quickly run away from under arty shower, but there is another way, IMHO much more effective on such thin skinned vehicle as 2S1. ;)

1. Enemy artillery - what I observed when it comes to their behavior is that although 2S1's will run away from DPICM attacks, they won't run away when attacked by HE, and HE will do perfectly fine against such thin skinned vehicle. Another method, although more risky is to send airborne infantry via choppers, they don't even need to get too close, as they have 7,62x51mm ammo for their weapons, which will perfectly pierce through 2S1's thin armor from the sides and rear.

2. Fox position - it's worth to send there as fast as possible some of avaiable M901 ITV's, they will provide there good overwatch and cover for southern flank. Small hint, there is enough time to get rid of trees over there, it's good to do it, by ramming them at slow speed, because otherwise they gonna be problematic when firing and guiding TOW's.

3. M1A1HA's and M2A2ODS's - their positions should not be too far ahead, actually it's best placing their BP's more or less in line with PIT position. The best is to seek positions where tanks can get hulld down. M2A2's should cover flanks. On the northern flank with M2A2's it's good to place also remaining two M901's. There is no need to put them further to the east, because enemy does not have large forces, and with properly positioned units, he can be obliterated from a distance.

Now from what I observed, the trick to not get any losses is to use bad weather and the fact enemy do not have thermal sights, however T-80U's are fast, and if BP's are too far ahead they might get close enough using terrain to be able to engage our own forces.

It's essential to use UAV... ekhm pardon me, the Kiowa ( ;) ) to get situational awareness, I just put him somewhere behind my forces at good enough alltitude and distance to be able to see where enemy forces are.

Using artillery here is kinda meh against enemy forces besides mentioned enemy artillery, they simply move too fast, and it's far quicker and simpler to eliminate them with own tanks and TOW's.

Yeah, so this is how I got through it, without any losses, and destroying all enemy forces.

After defeating a few waves that come ~5 mins apart I've traveled across almost all the battle area up to the right border of the whole map trying to find enemies, even killed those (marked as non-enemy?) BTRs and then proceeded to go and wipe out remnants of the arty to the north east - and still the mission didn't end.

It also needs a better, more detailed briefing.

Also a funny bit: at some point in the mission I've lost my UAV and was wondering who exactly shot it down since I've pretty much cleared the area (and UAV itself was made invisible to enemies, no?). Turns out.... It got shot down by my own HE shell travelling to strike a BMP 4 km further down south...

JmoxjKn.jpg

Edited by kraze

9 hours ago, kraze said:

After defeating a few waves that come ~5 mins apart I've traveled across almost all the battle area up to the right border of the whole map trying to find enemies, even killed those (marked as non-enemy?) BTRs and then proceeded to go and wipe out remnants of the arty to the north east - and still the mission didn't end.

It also needs a better, more detailed briefing.

Also a funny bit: at some point in the mission I've lost my UAV and was wondering who exactly shot it down since I've pretty much cleared the area (and UAV itself was made invisible to enemies, no?). Turns out.... It got shot down by my own HE shell travelling to strike a BMP 4 km further down south...

JmoxjKn.jpg

First of all, there ARE NO BTRs IN THIS ENTIRE MISSION.   What are you talking about?

The mission should end when you have less than 3 enemy units alive, this does NOT count the artillery and tunguska..  You must not have gotten everyone.   Just saying. 

The briefing is fine - this is a hasty defense counter-recon mission.  I've marked the avenues of advance - that's about all you would know for a mission like this.  You just arrived to the AO 20 minutes before.  

The UAV is a OH-58D kiowa warrior.  It's time on station is limited and it's only purpose is to spot arty for the the counter-battery fire. That's it. There was a Tunguska in the region that will nail your Kiowa if you fly it too close to Buzzer.   The UAV/Kiowa is invisible to it's ONLY targets... the 2S1s.   Everyone with an AK-74 can see and shoot at it.  

Why were you wasting your artillery on individual BMPs?  Better yet... why are you using HE on single BMPs when an advancing main regiment is the next mission?  

The enemy advance guard arrives just like it should,  with BRDMs first, then BMP-2s then tanks.  

Edited by cobrabase