Attack helos (specifically AH-1Q) behaviour

ChrisWerb

I have had mixed results with the AH-Q. One placed unrealistically close behind an enemy formation managed to take out four vehicles in quick succession with 70mm FFARs, however the other three stubbornly refused to use either TOW or 40mm AGL at any distance and one suffered the indignity of being shot down by a main gun hit from a BMP-1. Is there a secret to getting the AH-1Q to engage the target? The Mi-24 doesn't seem to suffer this problem when I employ it as OPFOR.

7 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

This might have something to do with it?

I think attack Helicopters behavior is a work in progress.

Sometimes there lethal other times your screaming at the screen bloody fire.

Unfortunately its no easy task to make them more realistic from what i have been informed 

If esim did they would have to implement  radar for the AAA etc.

Otherwise the gunship would rain supreme on the SB battlefield they could literally position them self at the edge of the map and pick off targets at will.

15 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

This might have something to do with it?

I'm sorry - do you mean that it's necessary to go in inappropriately close to the target with them to get them to attack? Marko makes a good point about their RL ability to standoff at insane ranges and plink tanks, but I'd like attack helicopters to actually do stuff, even if relatively inneffectually.

2 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

I'm sorry - do you mean that it's necessary to go in inappropriately close to the target with them to get them to attack? Marko makes a good point about their RL ability to standoff at insane ranges and plink tanks, but I'd like attack helicopters to actually do stuff, even if relatively inneffectually.

Or even give the PE version players the same ability as the military version.

IE. allow limited play-ability you can fire missiles etc in the military version admittedly the military version has much bigger maps.

19 hours ago, Marko said:

Or even give the PE version players the same ability as the military version.

IE. allow limited play-ability you can fire missiles etc in the military version admittedly the military version has much bigger maps.

WHAT?

I wish we had fill-in sights like the RWS where we could manually engage with the choppers. Why is this not in PE?

Pretty sure its like the motoring industry.

The top end / racing people develop / pay for the new ideas and then eventually the average car gets it (e.g. air bags, fuel injection, etc.).

eSim needs a return on investment and why should we as military customers pay for the dearer licence if it comes for free immediately in the "cheap" version?

5 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

The top end / racing people develop / pay for the new ideas and then eventually the average car gets it (e.g. air bags, fuel injection, etc.).

eSim needs a return on investment and why should we as military customers pay for the dearer licence if it comes for free immediately in the "cheap" version?

Good analogy, but aside from developer costs for programming, there aren't cost associated with parts. 

For example, air bags cost money for parts, maintenance, installation which drive the overall cost of a vehicle. 

The feature we're talking about is already built. The code itself doesnt make the product more expensive. 

4 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

The ADF is only one of many customers Gibsonm 

Its interesting how much input you bring to this forum compared to the other military customers. 

Keep up the good work ;)

Edited by Marko

Just an aside, but when I checked a recent AAR report I discovered that one AH-1Q had fought a duel with no less than four ZSU-23-4s at about 1000 metres and took them all out (IIRC all with 70mm Hydras), desipte taking a few hits itself. Groovy! :)

Edited by ChrisWerb

39 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Nope.

Laying into targets with 30mm, 2.75mm, and blasting targets from afar with Hellfires feels great....as expected. 

I would like to be in a ZSU -23/24 or Gepard shooting back. LoL

But i suppose i can see the logic not including the limited play-ability in the PE version.

Ever since the days of TP/gunship i have been looking forward to having the ability to man AFV's and Gunships 

DCS combined arms has this ability but the ground warfare element needs a lot of work its fun but not a simulation.