Scenario terrain/height

ben

I had a problem uploading a scenario with a modified terrain.

Other users reported an error something like "missing artwork or map".

Questions:

1) Doesn't a .sce file contain a copy of the .ter for the area being used?

2) When choosing "Link to Heightmap", instead of "embed", why does .sce file size remain the same size, several megabytes; shouldn't it reduce?

3) Is there something else I have done wrong for people to get the missing artwork or map error?

Many thanks!

Is it a custom Height map?. ie one that isn't included in the install?. If that is the case you need to embed the heightmap. The end user will not be able to open the mission in the mission editor with an embedded HM unless they have the file. Unless the hm is embedded (in the case of a custom map) users will not be able to open in unless they have the heightmap. The only other thing would be if you were using custom ground tiles on the terrain map.

Edited by DarkAngel

5 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

Is it a custom Height map?

No, it is a default SB heightmap.

I have edited the terrain file, moved some buildings and trees, thats all.  Does the terrain file get exported with the scenario automatically?

Edited by ben

17 minutes ago, ben said:

2) When choosing "Link to Heightmap", instead of "embed", why does .sce file size remain the same size, several megabytes; shouldn't it reduce?

Depending on the heightmap and compression used the height data for a mission is not terribly big. There is a pretty good compression routine being used. You may find it only a few hundred k's of data.

What map is it you are using?

Edited by DarkAngel

1 minute ago, DarkAngel said:

Depending on the heightmap and compression used the height data for a mission is not terribly big. There is a pretty good compression routine being used. You may find it only a few hundred k's of data.

Understood, thanks for the info :)

3 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

If you pm me the mission i can take a look at it in the morning and see if I can spot anything.

Thanks a lot, I think I have fixed the issue already by reverting back to the unmodified map and uploading an updated version, but I have not had any feedback yet!

http://www.steelbeasts.com/files/file/2473-attack-on-the-rail-junction/

I just wanted to learn about the .sce and .ter files a bit more to hopefully avoid same problem in future.

Thanks for your help