Attack with dismounted infantry

CharlieB

Having advanced from the FUP with the IFVs (Warrior) in this case and dismounted the troops, what order should I use in the scripting to get them to close with the position both with vehicles and dismounts.  I cannot script the dismounts at the start of the mission as they are in their wagons.  I seem to recall that the scout order allowed this sort of behaviour but not in contact...

The other scenario that I would want to do would be for the dismounts to close whilst the IFV supressed without moving.

Any thoughts / solutions gratefully received...

On 11/16/2016 at 2:21 PM, CharlieB said:

to close with the position both with vehicles and dismounts

hopefully I'm reading this correctly - if so, that should be really easy. 

Set a waypoint

Click the waypoint -> Troops -> Dismount

Set an attack waypoint (either Engage or Assault - depending on what you want)

but be advised, the IFV's will quickly outpace the infantry. 

I usually halt my platoon, dismount the troops, then have them march/scout up ahead.  About four or five minutes later, I have the vehicles follow up about 200 meters behind the infantry.  For detailed movement, divide the units up and move them individually in F8 mode.  It's a lot of work, as a full sized platoon with boots on the ground equals 14 units to deal with (if the PLT LDR and PLT SGT is included).

A lesser workload is to work by sections.  One section is on overwatch, while the other dismounts and moves forward. 

2 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

I usually halt my platoon, dismount the troops, then have them march/scout up ahead.  About four or five minutes later, I have the vehicles follow up about 200 meters behind the infantry.  For detailed movement, divide the units up and move them individually in F8 mode.  It's a lot of work, as a full sized platoon with boots on the ground equals 14 units to deal with (if the PLT LDR and PLT SGT is included).

A lesser workload is to work by sections.  One section is on overwatch, while the other dismounts and moves forward. 

Sure but he wants to know how to script it (i.e. get the AI to do it). :)

On 17/11/2016 at 7:21 AM, CharlieB said:

..., what order should I use in the scripting to get them to close with the position both with vehicles and dismounts.  I cannot script the dismounts at the start of the mission as they are in their wagons. ...

Edited by Gibsonm

Before launching the mission, go to map mode.  Click on the mech platoon to conduct a MARCH or SCOUT move to where you think is best to dismount.  Next is to set up a HOLD or DEFEND tactic where you want the platoon to stop and order TROOPS, then DISMOUNT command.  From there, you have to play out the game in order to command the dismounts to advance and so on.  Use the ALT BREAK to pause the game in order to DIVIDE the platoon vehicles after you dismount the troops.  To have the tracks move and cover the troops, now that is something I am uncertain as to scripting. 

Hope this helps.

Attached is a scenario demonstrating one way to get the vehicle to follow the troops.

Put the vehicle on a route that ends in a stay waypoint with Dismount troops set. Set a new route leading from that waypoint with an embark condition of "this unit is unit blah" with blah being your troops (in the mission I changed the missile team to a LMG team and attached them to the rifle team to simply things.) Have that route end in a "none" order waypoint and just make a sequence of waypoints down the route you want them to take with the spacing as close as you want the APC to follow. Then you'll want to make another route from that initial stay/dismount troops waypoint follows the troops in similar stay waypoints. Each route between the segments have an embark condition of "*Inf squad* has reached waypoint blah" so that the PC moves up to each waypoint in sequence as the troops move through each of their waypoints. You'll need to have the troops dismounted and temporarily routed onto the beginning of the waypoint sequence for the editor to give you the option of picking the waypoints for them. Once you've got the routes set up you can mount them back into the vehicle.

troops_leading_IFV.zip

Roger out.  It seemed to work well with simply giving the vehicle a Assault order to a way point without a tactical action.  Dismount troops order was attached to the way-point and a further Assault order to the LOE.  This led to the Warrior advancing to the WP, dismounting troops and then continuing to assault with the troops leading.  If under fire they would get on their belt-buckles, but if not they would happily advance with the WR in close support.  Works fine, completely AI scriptable albeit I had the Pl split down to individual vehs from the start...

Simple technique I use is just to set "assault" route to a waypoint.  Speed on this leg can be whatever is appropriate.  Add a waypoint just short of the objective at an appropriate dismount point.  Set "Troops-Dismount" at this point.  Add another assault leg through the objective.  Set speed on this leg to "slow".  Dismounted Infantry should now deploy, move forward of the vehicles and commence their assault.  Vehicles should follow a tactical bound behind.  Infantry should, by default, move upright, but will drop to prone and fight through "on their guts"  while under fire.  Only real shortfall is that the assaulting Inf tend to all focus toward a single end point rather than remain dispersed in a linear formation.