GPU or CPU

tankenator

Looking to upgrade my system, piecemeal.  Currently running an old Phenom II x6 1035, 8gb ram and a R7 360 gpu.  Want to totally update the system piecemeal.  So the thinking is 1070 vid card, and i7 6600k main cpu with 32 gig of ram.  Cash is ongoing, and cant fund all at once.  So......Do I update the main board, cpu and memory (starting with one bank at 16gig) first or do i upgrade the vid card?  What is the general consensus 

i7 would be a waste of money over i5 for gaming. All it offers for that price increase is hyper-threading (and some stock OC you can safely do yourself) which is useful only if you are doing some CPU-intensive work in some professional software - but for gaming it usually ends up decreasing performance

Edited by kraze

5 hours ago, tankenator said:

Looking to upgrade my system, piecemeal.  Currently running an old Phenom II x6 1035, 8gb ram and a R7 360 gpu.  Want to totally update the system piecemeal.  So the thinking is 1070 vid card, and i7 6600k main cpu with 32 gig of ram.  Cash is ongoing, and cant fund all at once.  So......Do I update the main board, cpu and memory (starting with one bank at 16gig) first or do i upgrade the vid card?  What is the general consensus 

Are you running Steel Beasts PE 4.0 on that system? If so how is performance? I ask because I have the same CPU, 16GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 5670. It runs 3.0 well enough as long as the scenario is not too crazy. I found many of the online (TGIF) scenarios too much for the system but haven't had much time to play in them anyway. I would love to get 4.0 but have been hesitant with my system. An upgrade is probably a year or two away :-(

Running 4.010.  Single player games have been pretty good, usually fps around 20-40 depending.  TGIF i noticed down to 8, which prohibited any gunnery on my part, (not that im used to the online game, have to play more to acclimate to it).  It's playable, but obviously time for me to upgrade.....  You should be able to run single player without much change in frames I'd guess

Edited by tankenator
clarification

• 2 months later...

I have an i7 4790 overclocked to 4.9 GHZ, two 1080 GTX's in SLI. Game runs well in open desert with sparse AI and building (60 FPS). Put an M1A2 SEP in a an urban part of a newer, updated map with no AI, FPS will dwindle down to 10-12 FPS, because each and every building subtracts computing power from the CPU.

I have been playing with the upgraded machine --i5 6600K, with the R7 360 vid card.  Slowest ive seen in single player has been the korean nightmare scenario after several dozen dead northies are burning on the field in the small town....It drops to high 20's briefly.  I can definatly tolerate that!  SSnake, thanks for guiding me the correct way.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter how much money you throw in....................SB just will never run smoothly in suburban area,s ever!! But the more CPU power the better. Something with the SB engine..........................the most demanding simulation games like Digital Combat Simulation, offer far better graphical performance then SB. One just can hope SB will find a way to improve their engine and stop AI turning your tanks rears to the enemy ;-)