CNN RESCUE MISSION

ChanceBS

Just uploaded to site:

RECIEVED URGENT SATILITE PHONE CALL FROM A WOMEN CLAIMING TO BE A CNN NEWS REPORTER.

SHE SAYS HER AND HER CAMERA CREW WERE AMBUSHED. CAMERA CREW HAS BEEN SHOT AND IS BELIEVED DEAD.

SHE IS HIDING IN A NEAR BY BULIDING.

YOUR ORDERS ARE TO SECURE AN LANDING ZONE FOR A HELO EXTRACTION OF SURVIVING CNN NEWS CREW.

3X NZLAV's

1X M2A2 BRADLEY

AFGANISTAN MAP

Enjoy..

SS_14_10_11.png

SS_13_33_00.png

SS_14_03_54.png

SS_14_10_25.png

Some feedback - take as necessary

Overall, I enjoyed the COIN setting, and no enemy tanks this time (whew!) - just some really pissed off Taliban. Good, intense fight. 

1.  I'd wordsmith the mission statement a little better; the mission isn't really to confirm the Toyota pickup - you said intel already confirmed everything. The mission is really to clear the village and the LZ so an extraction team can secure the girl.
  2. An LZ graphic on the map would be helpful, so that players know WHERE to clear, and where not to park their vehicles. 
  3. Taliban Mortar team - AI mortars won't call for fire. I'd recommend replacing them with an AGL-17 team or an OG-7 RPG (they have a range of 1000m, and are good against soft targets)
  4. Your technical counter-attack scripts aren't functioning (Red 5/A) OR they just didn't make it in time. Mission ends with no counter attack. Depending on your intent of the mission, maybe only end it when the Platoon makes it back to the FB?
  5. 10/A never moved. Your script is for 'known enemy' in ALERTED zone; that means RED has to spot them. If you want to change this, set this as an event (if ENEMY in ALERTED) OR set 10/A to spawn when an enemy is in the zone. It's weird rolling up on the village and spotting enemy technicals. "25mm HEI, fire!"
  6. I never saw any UN helicopters. In the editor, they are off-map, and aren't aren't assigned any waypoints.
  7. Good use of 'surrender if'. Taliban getting a little scared of some 25mm HE?
  8. There may be a line of sight issue with your bunker.
  9. Personal preference: arm blue infantry with 40mm grenade launchers. The infantry in Steel Beasts is lacking, and the only way to break up firefights is with some 40mm lovin'. 

Enjoyed the mission. I have a soft spot for the COIN stuff. Maybe because of personal experiences. 

Thanks for the feed back. These COIN settings are quite a challenge to set up.

The UN helos are scripted using spawn and drain points.  If scripting worked they should have been in area. However, it depends on your position. Its possible you may have been out of LOS at the times they crossed through.

The UH60 scripting to Evac the girl was quite the learning curve. Had to backwards engineer one of your recent missions to figure it out. Thanks for "no password" on that mission.

I am surprised 10/A never moved up. Did every time in playtesting. I will take your suggestion to insure they move to defend village further out. Which is why they are there. To engage and delay.

upload a new version to fix that.

Ah the briefing.  Agree on the your suggestion of wordsmithing. Honest attempt to try and get the info needed  to "CO" correctly. Hope it was better than the last one I wrote. (Which was non existing. :).

Again Thanks for the Evaluation and Feedback. It is rare to get this sometimes.  Especially from someone who has witnessed this type of engagement.

9 minutes ago, ChanceBS said:

The UH60 scripting to Evac the girl was quite the learning curve. Had to backwards engineer one of your recent missions to figure it out. Thanks for "no password" on that mission.

I figured you used my Cordon and Raid mission :-) this is why I NEVER password protect my missions. 

The UN helos are scripted using spawn and drain points.  If scripting worked they should have been in area. However, it depends on your position. Its possible you may have been out of LOS at the times they crossed through.

Ah ok. I didn't see them, but that doesn't mean they weren't working as scripted. I just assumed that they would be the choppers used as extraction - based on the briefing. Also, you might want to reconsider using them. The drain regions don't work well with helicopters. Units in drain regions will run a route then despawn, then respawn. It will look weird. I'd recommend just removing them....or use them for the extraction bird. 

I am surprised 10/A never moved up. Did every time in playtesting.

Like I said, they were stationary at the village. Honestly, Id just remove them from the sce. The ambush at the village is awesome, and if you removed them it would just elevate the element of surprise for the player. The presense of aggressive technical vehicles just makes the player more alert and changes the way they approach the village.....unless you want players alert. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

Chance,

Your end mission script is also not linked with the actual requirements, and the player can win the mission at any point by calling for an airstrike.

I recommend you change the conditions so that the CNN reporter is extracted AND the airstrike is called. Currently, your end conditions are that the helicopter is not in the village and the airstrike is called. 

Thanks.  I missed that. Wanted to prevent an airstrike before rescue attempt. I took it out of Version 1.2 as you have recommended.

After a multiplayer playtest this afternoon and everything goes well with the scripting. The new version will be posted today.

Found an easy way to clear out one of the enemies observation points.  Will just say the ammo expended is quite pricey but very effective and satisfying.

New version of this mission uploaded to site.

Version 1.2 is the same mission with some minor adjustments.  Also an option to ask United Nations MI-8 helo's in the area to perform

extraction.

New Mission Briefing for Version 1.2 included.

Enjoy.

SS_16_37_33.png

SS_16_38_58.png

Edited by ChanceBS

• 1 month later...