New Player: a few questions

Pandacat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanx for the tips。the tutorial says must disengage stabilization before ordering guner to shoot。but it seems gunner can still shoot even with stabilization on。

also how do i get native voice for different country tanks?in my game,everybody speaks English。

53 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

thanx for the tips。the tutorial says must disengage stabilization before ordering guner to shoot。but it seems gunner can still shoot even with stabilization on。

The stabilization serves to lock your commander's periscope so it is independent of the turret's movement. The gunner can still shoot with it enabled, but you need to release the TC Override for the gunner to fire. 

As long as you are not holding the . key, the gunner can fire.

Edited by Mirzayev

• Members

If you copy the text files from the US English ..\loc folder into every other language folder you can pick any language that you want, still get English menu text and all, and the voice recordings of the other languages.

The problem is, for example, what's the "native" language of a T-55, with more than 50,000 built and proliferated into dozens of different countries? Sure, it's sorta, kinda Russian. But what about license-produced tanks? Where do you draw the line? Plus, not everybody wants to hear different languages. So you choose the language based on your general preference in SB Pro, not based on the nationality of whomever constructed or produced a certain vehicle.

I see.  Btw a few other questions:

1. For the instant action mission, the mission brief said lay a mine field at the bridge choke point.  But I don't see FASCM in the arty drop down menu.  I was able to hold off 1st few waves and took out 14 tanks before I got beat up.

2. How do I order gunner to use different types of ammo in T-72?  Still insert, delete, home and end?

3. In the 4th mission of arty tutorial (against moving target), I was trying to use the F2 station at TC station, but all I got was a black blank screen.  No thermo, no nothing.  I can see the crosshairs everything, but it's just blank.

4. The thermal view in leo2a5 gunner is very blurry.  The one on m1a2 is ok.

5. How do I get outside view.  In some mission, I was able to do F8, some I can't.

6. Where can I find more single player scenarios?  The ones in this download section are mostly for 3.025.  Are they still good for 4.0?  Any other good websites that I can use?

1= Perhaps theres a 'deployable' minefield that you can position in the planning phase (before you hit the green 'start' button)

2= Commander controls whats loaded, gunner needs to index the ammo type accordingly

3= Without loading the scenario, i would hazard a guess that youre in the Commanders position in a FIST V, in which case you need to hit the 'raise launcher' key (Shift q by default), or go to external view and let the AI commander do it.

4=Most thermal optics need to be focused, i dont remember the default key for it, so search in key bindings for 'focus TIS'

5=Observer View isnt always enabled in scenarios.

6=Most older scenarios are compatible unless theyre ancient.

Good luck!

For "2," the gunner controls what is loaded on the T-72.  You need to select the round before hitting the "V" key to load the gun.  The commander will tell you which round you should be firing but it is up to you to load the correct round in the T-72.

For "4," the focus for the thermal sight is either the number-pad "del" (for auto focusing) or the combination of alt+mouse wheel for manual focusing.  Sometimes the auto focus doesn't know what you are trying to focus on so you will need to do it manually.

Edited by TSe419E

• Members

WRT the 1st question, it's probably a leftover from earlier versions of the scenario where the briefing may not have been edited properly. The first iteration had but a single bridge and no bridgelayer tanks, and it turned out too easy to beat, so I guess I decided to remove it (but that's at least seven, eight years ago, so I don't even recall if I did it or someone else in the team).

7 hours ago, Pandacat said:

I see.  Btw a few other questions:

1. For the instant action mission, the mission brief said lay a mine field at the bridge choke point.  But I don't see FASCM in the arty drop down menu.  I was able to hold off 1st few waves and took out 14 tanks before I got beat up.

2. How do I order gunner to use different types of ammo in T-72?  Still insert, delete, home and end?

3. In the 4th mission of arty tutorial (against moving target), I was trying to use the F2 station at TC station, but all I got was a black blank screen.  No thermo, no nothing.  I can see the crosshairs everything, but it's just blank.

4. The thermal view in leo2a5 gunner is very blurry.  The one on m1a2 is ok.

5. How do I get outside view.  In some mission, I was able to do F8, some I can't.

6. Where can I find more single player scenarios?  The ones in this download section are mostly for 3.025.  Are they still good for 4.0?  Any other good websites that I can use?

regarding 4.: the thermal imagers a different. the m1a2 has much better quality IRL so it has in game

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

WRT the 1st question, it's probably a leftover from earlier versions of the scenario where the briefing may not have been edited properly. The first iteration had but a single bridge and no bridgelayer tanks, and it turned out too easy to beat, so I guess I decided to remove it (but that's at least seven, eight years ago, so I don't even recall if I did it or someone else in the team).

I see.  So there is an end to that mission? LOL.  I just saw waves and waves of red coming my way.  I had a couple of pretty hilarious scenarios:

1. I knocked out 36 vehicles at point blank range in a M1A2 using a defilade at the edge of the circle, but later turret got jammed or something and got overwhelmed

2. I let red crowded around the bridge and launched waves of airstrike and arty missions on that choke point.  There was a pile of burning metal around the bridge.  I sneaked in with my Leo2 and picked off a few survivors.  But I got  lazy at the end and didn't displace.  There was a T80 hidden somewhere and didn't get detected.  My gunner and commander got killed, so couldn't gun it myself.  I figure at least 40-50 vehicles are dead.  There were only 2-3 heavily damaged tanks skulking around the bridge.  

I think the AI's are too OP in terms of their accuracy.  I mean as a human playing T72 gunner, the gunnery is pretty tough.  AI can still hit you in a heavily damaged tank from far.  Do damaged tanks ever get degraded in terms of their abilities?

Oh, btw.  Can someone teach me or point me to where I can find some detailed tutorial on how to adjust arty impact zone's orientation and shape?  I did the ingame tutorial several times, but still couldn't get it right?  I may be misunderstanding something there.

10 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

I think the AI's are too OP in terms of their accuracy.  I mean as a human playing T72 gunner, the gunnery is pretty tough.  AI can still hit you in a heavily damaged tank from far.  Do damaged tanks ever get degraded in terms of their abilities?

Damaged vehicles do become degraded and it does affect them based on the damage received. Killing a loader will result in longer reload times between shots, for example.

The AI is modeled based on the enemy having well-trained crews who have spent plenty of time training with their vehicle. T-72 gunnery was hard for me at first as well, but after spending some hours practicing it I am now able to get around an 80% accuracy level in battles. They are good, but not OP. Think about how many rounds that they fired at your tank and missed.

34 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Can someone teach me or point me to where I can find some detailed tutorial on how to adjust arty impact zone's orientation and shape

Set the difficulty to easy when youre experimenting/practicing with arty, and youll see the impact area of fire missions denoted on the map by a red box. Personally i just call large (400x400) missions if the targets location isnt well known/its a smoke screen/harassing fire, or a smaller one (<200) if i have good target info. Thats not science though. If you want Science, check out the WIKI ;)http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Artillery_Guide

Edited by Bond_Villian

• Members
2 hours ago, Pandacat said:

I see.  So there is an end to that mission?

Well, there's an upper limit to how many vehicles are being created. Some people apparently managed to reach that limit.

a) You're playing on "Hard" difficulty? Of course they are mean, tough SOBs, then.

b) Yes, component failures also affect computer-controlled units. However, they react somewhat differently and are usually good at compensating for those issues (being computers themselves, after all). Even more so if you chose to play on Hard difficulty, because that makes things harder.

4 hours ago, Pandacat said:

Oh, btw.  Can someone teach me or point me to where I can find some detailed tutorial on how to adjust arty impact zone's orientation and shape?  I did the ingame tutorial several times, but still couldn't get it right?  I may be misunderstanding something there.

Pretty sure there are two or three "artillery Guides" in the download section.

Its not as simple as a "btw" type request would suggest.

On 12/17/2016 at 6:05 PM, Ssnake said:

If you copy the text files from the US English ..\loc folder into every other language folder you can pick any language that you want, still get English menu text and all, and the voice recordings of the other languages.

The problem is, for example, what's the "native" language of a T-55, with more than 50,000 built and proliferated into dozens of different countries? Sure, it's sorta, kinda Russian. But what about license-produced tanks? Where do you draw the line? Plus, not everybody wants to hear different languages. So you choose the language based on your general preference in SB Pro, not based on the nationality of whomever constructed or produced a certain vehicle.

I saw 3 txt files in main \loc folder and a few more under \loc\scenarios\ folder.  Do I need copy all of them over to other folders?  Oh, btw, just out of curiosity, I wonder if you can have voice files compartmentalized by vehicle instead of by country.  So for example, T72 has voice files for russian, iraqi or ukraine, then when scenario creator creates a mission, he just needs index his vehicle to the specific set of voice files.  That way probably you can play russian speaking t72 under english environment.    

11 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

I saw 3 txt files in main \loc folder and a few more under \loc\scenarios\ folder.  Do I need copy all of them over to other folders?  Oh, btw, just out of curiosity, I wonder if you can have voice files compartmentalized by vehicle instead of by country.  So for example, T72 has voice files for russian, iraqi or ukraine, then when scenario creator creates a mission, he just needs index his vehicle to the specific set of voice files.  That way probably you can play russian speaking t72 under english environment.    

Well, may be from  gamer`s point of view there is some value in such solution, but SB is not a game but a  training tool and making separate voice entries for each vehicle is pointless.

• Members

I'm not saying that such a thing would be impossible to implement but

a) I'm describing how things are right now, and what you can do about it.

b) While I do not want to speculate in public about future feature developments, let me just say this:

Vehicle-specific language set would inflate the memory requirements to run a scenario substantially, also loading times. After all we'd have to load multiple sound resource files into memory. Now that SB Pro is a 64 bit only application that may no longer appear to be such a big deal, but still, you don't want to arrive at the point where you're running out of physical RAM and start paging to harddisk.

Since you're going all out in your fantasies about an Iraqi voice pack may I remind you that someone had to do all the translations, sound recordings, and integration of the sounds. I think that SB Pro already has an extraordinary wide range of sound and text localization. Managing a much larger number of sound recordings can become a significant burden over time, particularly if we wanted to introduce new voice lines (good luck trying to locate all the previous voice actors), or change the sound engine. Keep in mind, we´'ve been maintaining SB Pro PE for more than 10 years now and are planning to continue doing so for at least another decade. The typical game gets released once and then receives a few patches, and that's it. No maintenance burden at all.

30 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Btw, battlesight only works for sabot round right?  I switched to HEAT round, it missed the target big time.

Yes because they have different muzzle velocities and different ballistic properties.

A APFSDS round pretty much flies straight and level for most of its trajectory.

HEAT, HESH, etc. tends to fly in an arc.