New Player: a few questions

Pandacat

21 hours ago, GSprocket said:

Battlesight works for all ammunition... just that APFSDS has battlesight ranges of 1200-1500m, while HEAT is closer to ~800m and HESH/HE is often around 500m or so.

Oh, I forgot the range difference.  That's why.  Thanks.  German and American BS ranges are different right?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Pandacat said:

How do you switch from first LRF return to last LRF on German tanks, namely Leo2 series.  I read thru wiki and played tutorials, very little is mentioned on this subject.

As per the keyboard template PDF and posts by others above - use "~" (unless of course you have customised the key settings away from the default).

Edited by Gibsonm

1. I don't think Leo2a5 or LE has first return option.  I press "~", there is no response.  

2. so AI gunner skill depends on your tank range performance.  But does each vehicle have its ratings?  Say, you scored 100% using M1, but 70% on Leo2a5.  So when you go play missions, your AI gunner for M1 shoots better than your AI on Leo2a5?  I played instant mission several times, my AI gunners on M1 and Leo have marked difference in terms of their gunnery skills.  

7 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

1. I don't think Leo2a5 or LE has first return option.  I press "~", there is no response.  

2. so AI gunner skill depends on your tank range performance.  But does each vehicle have its ratings?  Say, you scored 100% using M1, but 70% on Leo2a5.  So when you go play missions, your AI gunner for M1 shoots better than your AI on Leo2a5?  I played instant mission several times, my AI gunners on M1 and Leo have marked difference in terms of their gunnery skills.  

Look into the options  ...controls....menue.  there is a list with all keysetting, you'll find the first/last return key settings there

13 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Look into the options  ...controls....menue.  there is a list with all keysetting, you'll find the first/last return key settings there.

PS.: gunnery skills are a global setting and apply to all type of vehicles no matter which one you used for the range

23 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Your best score  obtained on "Tank range" is used as a global setting for all Blue AI gunners in  local session, and please note- even 100% score does not mean that AI will always hit its target. Differences in performance between   various vehicles are defined by their specs.

• Members
3 hours ago, Pandacat said:

There is no toggle switch. Instead, the control handle has a two-way laser switch. Therefore you'd need to assign a different joystick button for that function.

2. so AI gunner skill depends on your tank range performance.  But does each vehicle have its ratings?  Say, you scored 100% using M1, but 70% on Leo2a5.  So when you go play missions, your AI gunner for M1 shoots better than your AI on Leo2a5?

We're not cruel. Only the highest score that you ever achieved on any vehicle will apply to every unit under your command. In single player mode.

10 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Let me clarify this.  Just to do first return, I press "alt range" key. So how do I switch back to last return? Press "alt range" key again?

No, use the standart lase "key". The "alt. range" key fires the laser in first return mode...

So I guess you lase low in German tanks since its default is last return and if you have no time to play around with last or first return.  I find hitting a target beyond 2k with HEAT in German tank is very difficult.  I can hit a distant target in M1 pretty well, always around 85-90ish percentage regardless of ammo.  But not with much luck on Leo's.  Any tips or advise?

HEAT can be hard to hit distant targets with if they are moving due to the angle of fire. With the Leopard I use the middle mouse button (as opposed to P) to engage dynamic lead. Then lase, track, and blaze in a similar manner to the M1. With practice you can get pretty accurate, but the key is repetition.

• Members

The key to accuracy in the Leo 2 is precise tracking. If you manage to really stay on the target center and if you have the right range you will hit. That said, at ranges above 2000m HEAT rounds have a pretty steep trajectory, so the tolerated range error shrinks to very short distances. Also, due to the long range, tracking errors (or changes of speed and direction of the target) will gain more leverage and may thus result in a miss.

A frequent error for novice Leo 2 gunners is to overcorrect a tracking error at the last moment before pulling the trigger. That will be interpreted as a sharp change in the target's movement (maybe even a sudden reversal), with a resulting significant change in the lead angle.

yep, you normally use last return, but there are so many situations with targets and terrain that forces you into a first return. 

Especially on longer ranges. It's a experience/intuition/feeling that gunners develop about to lase first or last :)

Edited by Dalager

• Members

That's were crew TRAINING comes into play. The Personal Edition isn't designed to train these aspects, so you have more liberty to come up with solutions that suit your personal preferences. Real training would enforce lasing habits that conform to the system's capabilities and give preference to the system's default settings.

Interesting.  Theoretically, M1 also needs good tracking at long range, right?  Why my performance on 2 vehicles so different?  Btw, do you press P before firing or at the same moment of firing.  I always keep P pressed, get a good track, then laze&blaze away.  I see, when I keep P pressed, sometimes "F" flips to "O" and back in quick succession.  Most likely my tracking was off in a quick moment, huh?