"Border patrol" mission for Leo2A5

Pandacat

What are the victory and defeat triggers for this mission.  I conducted a fighting retreat back into the town.  I only lost 2 jeeps and a few infantry (sacrificed in delaying action).  I did not lose the town.  All of a sudden "mission over" popped up and I got a defeat in debrief.  Anything I did wrong here?

The problem was that the requirements for the mission to end don't match up with the "Victory" condition that gives the majority of the points. The mission ends if the time is greater than 65 minutes, if the time is greater than 45 minutes and there are no operational enemy AFVs left, or if you lost all of your tanks. Unfortunately, the "Victory" condition could only be true after 65 minutes, meaning if you kill all the enemies in 50 minutes the mission will end without you getting the points for actually winning. I split the victory condition up to check for either circumstance.

The fixed scenario (really fixed now, hopefully) is attached below, and includes a version with T-90's to replace the T-80's which used to have thermal sights when this scenario was made:

Border Patrol fixed.7z

Edited by Rotareneg

Just load it up in the mission editor, find your tanks ( they'll be darker blue, just like in the mission planning phase,) right click on the unit you want to change, use the Set unit type > Tank menu and pick the tank you want. The Options right-click menu lets you set ammo and various other things.

Awesome.  It worked.  I also recreated another version using US units only.  My first run was with Leo2A6.  It was a hilarious mission.  I was doing fine until the retreat back to the town, then I forgot to reload ammo.  There was a T-80 hard on my ass.  I was trying to use some infantry to delay the tank.  The brave soldiers put 2 missiles into it before getting hosed down by the coaxial machine gun.  I was able to load one sabot.  I shot him but missed then he blasted me with an AP round.  :D

Second round was with M1A2.  I changed out some APC's with Bradley.  I lost all my stykers.  The Bradley killed 3 tanks before getting blasted by T-80.  I was able to kill the last T-80 by sneaking up behind him and sending a sabot up his ass. Got 999.9 out of 1000.  

Some impression and after mission comments:

1. Leo is probably a better tank than M1 one-on-one.  However, M1 has some great advantages in real mass battles.

a. Leo has less ready to use ammo than M1.  That means more reload stops.  A few times, I got chased away by a few T72's cuz I ran out of ammo and need find a quiet place to reload.  A reloading Leo is really vulnerable cuz its turret has to rotate to the back while M1 can just point its full frontage towards the direction of threat.  

b. Far less coaxial ammo, 500 vs thousands.  For the first 2 encounter against the dismount infantry, M1 can pretty much hose down on the enemy.  Leo has to be careful.  With only 6 rounds of HEAT and 500 rounds of bullets, you would end up with only your fist very quickly

c. Leo TC has no turret machine gun.  Sometimes, I really wish I could grab the MG42 next door to spray down the enemy infantry line

I was able to win twice with M1, against both vanilla version and T90 version.  For Leo, T90 version is really tough.  Especially when facing enemy's massed assault, there is very little time to reload.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pandacat said:

Some impression and after mission comments:

a. Leo has less ready to use ammo than M1.  That means more reload stops.  ...  A reloading Leo is really vulnerable cuz its turret has to rotate to the back while M1 can just point its full frontage towards the direction of threat.

a) the difference is 17 ready rounds in the M1, to 15 rounds in the Leo 2. Not THAT much of a difference IMO.

b) Reloading works much quicker in the Leo 2.

This has tactical consequences. A platoon leader should, whenever the situation permits, send at least one tank (better two) into a concealed position to quickly replace the ammo that was just expended while the remaining two or three tanks provide security/overwatch. Ammo management is arguably one of the highest priorities for a Leo 2 platoon leader. With M1 units, I believe, the standard procedure is that the company commander orders an entire platoon out of the fight to perform an ammo reload (or, to park right next to an ammo supply point and to refill the ready compartment right from that supply point rather than wasting time with the (very cumbersome) internal cartridge redistribution. IOW, ammo management is done one level higher up whereas the responsibility is split between internal management at the platoon level, and resupply management at the company/battalion level.

Therefore, wen selecting defensive positions, the platoon leader should also locate and determine a position that is suitably covered during reload phases. They will happen often, yes, but they are also short.

The 7.92×57mm round actually has a bullet diameter of 8.22mm, the barrel itself has a diameter of 7.89 mm. I love how gun/ammo designers randomly pick groove or land diameter for the caliber designation. 9x19mm Parabellum has a 9mm round fired through a 8.8mm barrel for example.

Edited by Rotareneg

The bullet has a diameter of 8.204 mm, the diameter of the barrel between lands is 7.9 mm, and 8.20 mm between grooves in the rifling. The bullet squishes down to fit the barrel so that it forms a gas seal and so that it engages the rifling.

A .22 Long Rifle bullet has a nominal diameter of 5.72 mm, fired through a barrel with land and groove diameters of 5.51 and 5.64 mm, respectively. Here's a .22 LR round after being fired:

cnHLHzh.jpg

Nmnnl90.jpg

Edited by Rotareneg

7 hours ago, mpow66m said:

What would the caliber be for the 7.92mm?

"Calibers" are simply fractions of an inch. So, if you want to convert from mm to caliber, multiply the mm by 0.04. (Actually, 0.03937007874... but no need to get that precise.)

Shotgun gauges are where things get weird. A "gauge" is determined by how many lead balls of the diameter of the barrel will add up to one pound. So, if you divide a pound of lead into twelve equal balls, the diameter of each ball will be 12ga. The only exception being .410, which is the caliber of the barrel.

11 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

The bullet has a diameter of 8.204 mm, the diameter of the barrel between lands is 7.9 mm, and 8.20 mm between grooves in the rifling. The bullet squishes down to fit the barrel so that it forms a gas seal and so that it engages the rifling.

A .22 Long Rifle bullet has a nominal diameter of 5.72 mm, fired through a barrel with land and groove diameters of 5.51 and 5.64 mm, respectively. Here's a .22 LR round after being fired:

cnHLHzh.jpg

Nmnnl90.jpg

Ahh yes

i forgot about that.tx again