Jump to content

MBT from GMT games


Red2112
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members

I understand that this is a "straightforward" (IOW, "not too complicated") wargame, but looking at all the tables that you're supposed to memorize (or go through with every single shot), I am reminded of why we're doing Steel Beasts for tactical education and training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I understand that this is a "straightforward" (IOW, "not too complicated") wargame, but looking at all the tables that you're supposed to memorize (or go through with every single shot), I am reminded of why we're doing Steel Beasts for tactical education and training.

 

And I am so greatful for this alternative :D

Edited by Ingolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I understand that this is a "straightforward" (IOW, "not too complicated") wargame, but looking at all the tables that you're supposed to memorize (or go through with every single shot), I am reminded of why we're doing Steel Beasts for tactical education and training.

 

A (bit) less complicated tanksim-boardgame is "War Stories"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Plenty of fun if you like wargames...

 

Pretty sure I have the same box around here somewhere with "AH" in the bottom corner.

 

But yes continuous dice rolling drove me to build a Squad Leader / ASL spreadsheet - Hit "calc" and it did the die rolls.

 

Eventually though, I gave up on cardboard / miniature gaming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I can say is that it´s not that complicated, ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) is way more complicated in it´s original form.  "Last Blitzkrieg" from MMP is a Batallion level wargame which could be called difficult, but not MBT. Some people play solo, some play with others for the social aspect of gaming.  Some of us just love complicated things and reading tons of rules/tables and such :D

 

But if you don´t want to do all the reading (or not that much), there´s quite some good PC wargames out.  All of Gary Grigsby´s series are at a operational level of grand strategy and one turn could last day´s of planning if you want.

 

 

 

For the ASL or Old School Tactical fans, "Tigers on the Hunt" is great! 

 

 

Care,

 

Red

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I own MBT (and the WW2 origin Panzer).  Both games are re-envisioning of earlier wargames published in the 1980s.

 

In the case of both, there are Basics & Advanced games, but in terms of board wargames it's easily the best modern tank tactical game out there.  I can't think of another that respects the armor, range, and weapon selection as well.  You don't really memorize the charts at all (good on you if you can! lol), but the procedures that you go through become much quicker once you've played a few turns.  They take a long time to play, as you might imagine, and finding an opponent willing to process a 50 page rulebook for a wargame can be a bit daunting as well.  That said, if board wargaming is your thing...this is a great product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know that the makes of Flames of War released a late Cold War variant called Team Yankee. I haven't played it myself, but it looks interesting from the YouTube Battle Reports I have watched. It is fairly streamlined, so it doesn't have the most advanced rules. Still, it is worth a look if you haven't seen it already. http://www.team-yankee.com/

 

Also, Harold Coyle himself was involved with the design of the game, so there is that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to much into miniatures apart from X-Wing once in a while or Memorie 44.

 

HPS Simulations and Scott Hamilton although slow but constant, are in the works with Point of Attack 2.5 and Tigers Unleashed , both a TSS (Tactical Studies Series). Both seem to have some nifty balistic calculations and modifiers among other goodies in mind.  Tigers Unleashed is a bit more advance in its actual state as per PoA 2.5 but eventualy Scott will finish both. It´s a two man dev team so it will be a while but they both look promising.

 

PoA 2.5:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/POA2/POA2b.html

 

Tigers Unleashed:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/TSS/TU/TU.asp

 

 

Edited by Red2112
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I have MBT, it's nice. I also have Panzer, and all of its expansions. Looking forward to FRG and BOAR expansions for MBT too. :)

 

Some people just don't understand that PC sims and PC wargames are nice, but there is a certain amount of satisfaction gained from playing a boardgame. Pushing something physical around the map, and working through the to-hit and damage result is suspenseful.

 

You like X-Wing? Try my "X-Wing Squadrons" at BGG, it gives purpose to something that otherwise has no purpose. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Volcano said:

I have MBT, it's nice. I also have Panzer, and all of its expansions. Looking forward to FRG and BOAR expansions for MBT too. :)

 

Some people just don't understand that PC sims and PC wargames are nice, but there is a certain amount of satisfaction gained from playing a boardgame. Pushing something physical around the map, and working through the to-hit and damage result is suspenseful.

 

You like X-Wing? Try my "X-Wing Squadrons" at BGG, it gives purpose to something that otherwise has no purpose. ;)

 

For those of you with weak Google Fu:

 

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116845/x-wing-squadrons

 

(It was actually pretty well tucked away.  Ed, you might want to look at that. :)  )

 

Shared it with my local gaming group. :)

 

 

Edited by Hedgehog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/1/2017 at 8:10 PM, Volcano said:

I have MBT, it's nice. I also have Panzer, and all of its expansions. Looking forward to FRG and BOAR expansions for MBT too. :)

 

Some people just don't understand that PC sims and PC wargames are nice, but there is a certain amount of satisfaction gained from playing a boardgame. Pushing something physical around the map, and working through the to-hit and damage result is suspenseful.

 

You like X-Wing? Try my "X-Wing Squadrons" at BGG, it gives purpose to something that otherwise has no purpose. ;)

 

You might also like this when it gets out...

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=15704#more-15704

 

Some thoughts as to board wargames vs PC wargames...

http://hudsonshideout.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/what-does-board-wargaming-do-pc-wargame.html

 

BTW Thanks for all your help here and in the wargaming community Volcano, people like you make life a bit more worthwhile!

Edited by Red2112
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
6 hours ago, Red2112 said:

 

You might also like this when it gets out...

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=15704#more-15704

 

Some thoughts as to board wargames vs PC wargames...

http://hudsonshideout.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/what-does-board-wargaming-do-pc-wargame.html

 

BTW Thanks for all your help here and in the wargaming community Volcano, people like you make life a bit more worthwhile!

 

Thanks for the compliment. I do what I can. B|

 

Yeah, Tank Duel looks interesting, at least for a quick tank vs. tank game. Will have to keep an eye on it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

i appreciate the artwork and the tactile gratification of miniatures, counters, map boards and this sort of thing; table top or card games however require live opponents, not always available; moreover, the the table top miniatures can run quite expensive both in terms of dollars and the space to build up decent representations of towns or battlefields; i threw out all the piles of board games i used to collect which never got played, the clutter of the things i owned got more space than i did in my apartments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just received my copy of GMT's new edition of MBT a few weeks ago.  Haven't had time to get past the basic ruleset, but planning to play it with miniatures.  Can't wait for FRG to come out so I can get Leopards!

 

Edited to add:  I really love Steel Beasts and flight sims like DCS for getting inside the gear and the immersion.  But for me they aren't ideal for visualizing the larger scale tactical movements.  If I want to command a battalion and play commander I'll play a board game or Combat Mission or something like that.  When I'm driving and shootings tanks I just want to drive and shoot tanks. 

Edited by rykirk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rykirk said:

But for me they aren't ideal for visualizing the larger scale tactical movements.  If I want to command a battalion and play commander I'll play a board game or Combat Mission or something like that.

 

Not sure why you say that when with little effort you can have:

 

33469553030_253c8a64bd_b.jpg

 

or

 

33813030806_4cdc8ddaa6_b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

 

Not sure why you say that when with little effort you can have:

 

33469553030_253c8a64bd_b.jpg

 

or

 

33813030806_4cdc8ddaa6_b.jpg

 

Not meant as a knock on Steel Beasts.  I use the map and so on as I have to in missions.  Just how I game.   If I want to play tanker I play tanker, platoon, or company commander at the highest usually.  If I fire up Steel Beasts its because I want to drive tanks, when the scenarios get bigger I find I spend all my time on the map screen and jumping around instead of driving tanks.  If I want to play battalion or regiment commander I fire up a game system designed for that.  Just my preference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya of course, I know it has the command layer.  But I bought the game to drive and gun.  When I fire up a big scenario I find myself tempted to jump in and fight a platoon at the expense of the broader picture.  Just my preference and style I guess.  A game like Combat Mission doesn't have that temptation lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rykirk said:

Ya of course, I know it has the command layer.  But I bought the game to drive and gun.  When I fire up a big scenario I find myself tempted to jump in and fight a platoon at the expense of the broader picture.  Just my preference and style I guess.  A game like Combat Mission doesn't have that temptation lol. 

Ah, so a lack of disciplin here ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...