Desertt T-55

Captain_Colossus

2 hours ago, Iarmor said:

For 1973, the common Egyptian tank camouflage was a 3-tone scheme (sand yellow, brown and black) like in this file.

From my sources, there are both 2 tone and 3 tone schemes in 1973 as well. I have done both 2 types with the T-62

and T-55 (in previous versions of SB). I'm going to do another 3 tone pattern for the T-55, since the T-55 in 4.00 uses a new model over 3.00.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

Just a note. Be a bit careful with changing individual tanks in a nation. Where there is multiple units present for that nation we tried to keep them using a common / generic camouflage pattern and colours. While this isn't entirely correct we are faced with a one size fits all paradigm. If you change one vehicle in a set it will no longer match the other vehicles. The other option is making textures for all of the vehicles in a nation and that is a lot of work (I know!!).

This thread reminds me an interesting story from the 1973 war:

Around October 10-11th, the IDF southern command considered sending a special force, including a T-54 (1967 war booty, already with 105 mm guns) company repainted back in Egyptian colors, to cross the canal on an Egyptian bridge, destroy some targets and then cross back to Sinai on another Egyptian bridge near the pier stronghold (Maoz hamezach, "Masrek"), in order to assist the extraction of the besieged Israeli troops there.

The operation was aborted as it was too risky. When the T-54s were repainted back in IDF colors, someone noticed a dangerous mistake - during the preparations for the operation, the T-54s were painted in the 1967 sand yellow, while the up-to-date Egyptian scheme was the new 3-tone camouflage. Luckily the Egyptians didn't get the chance to ID the wrong paint scheme (or the 105 mm guns).

BTW, the operation CO was supposed to be Ehud Barak, who served mostly with the SF up to 1973, but also experienced commanding a M48 company in Sinai around 1970-1971.

Barak rushed back to Israel from his studies in the US when the war broke out and established a M48 battalion. He was pulled out of his battalion for this operation and came back to it when the operation was canceled. Later on the battalion fought on the Chinese farm and Suez city battles.

Edited by Iarmor

1 hour ago, Iarmor said:

This thread reminds me an interesting story from the 1973 war:

Around October 10-11th, the IDF southern command considered sending a special force, including a T-54 (1967 war booty, already with 105 mm guns) company repainted back in Egyptian colors, to cross the canal on an Egyptian bridge, destroy some targets and then cross back to Sinai on another Egyptian bridge near the pier stronghold (Maoz hamezach, "Masrek"), in order to assist the extraction of the besieged Israeli troops there.

The operation was aborted as it was too risky. When the T-54s were repainted back in IDF colors, someone noticed a dangerous mistake - during the preparations for the operation, the T-54s were painted in the 1967 sand yellow, while the up-to-date Egyptian scheme was the new 3-tone camouflage. Luckily the Egyptians didn't get the chance to ID the wrong paint scheme (or the 105 mm guns).

BTW, the operation CO was supposed to be Ehud Barak, who served mostly with the SF up to 1973, but also experienced commanding a M48 company in Sinai around 1970-1971.

Barak rushed back to Israel from his studies in the US when the war broke out and established a M48 battalion. He was pulled out of his battalion for this operation and came back to it when the operation was canceled. Later on the battalion fought on the Chinese farm and Suez city battles.

Well I'm currently working on a map /scenario based on that setting. Wasn't it called "Operation Raviv" or something?

Operation Raviv was a somewhat similar operation, that took place (unlike the 1973 planning) on September 9th 1969. The single paint scheme was still OK back then.

Major differences between the two operations were the theater and the crossing platform: the 1973 planning called for crossing the 180-meters-wide Suez canal on Egyptian bridges, while during operation Raviv the AFVs were transported across the Suez Gulf of the Red Sea by Qishon-class landing ships. The ships took them from Ras Sudr to a location 25 kms north of Ras Abu Daraj and then after some 10 hours took them back to Sinai (to Abu Zneima) from a location north of Ras Zaafrana. The main targets were the marine radar at Ras Abu Daraj and the air defence radar at Ras Zaafrana.

During the 1973 war, there were some more un-executed plannings for the Suez Gulf theater as well. T-54s, PT-76s and BTR-50s were supposed to be used.

Edited by Iarmor

• 11 months later...