TGIF 2017: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

2 hours ago, 71st_AH_Rob said:

Well, I dug my old map of Gagetown out and dropped in to TS 20 min early to find the battle in full swing and did not want to drop in mid battle. Has the TGIF timing changed from 0300 GMT?  Maybe next week I can get online in time.

Cheers!

10 pm NY time

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

FYI, there will be no *official* TGIF this Friday (May 19th), due to not having a host, and various other things (this is ITEC week after all).

Unofficially, feel free to meet up around that time and get a game going among yourselves, or just take a break and go outside and stare up at the sun or moon.

TGIF will resume the following week...

• Moderators

OK, just FYI for all:

TGIF will continue this Friday. However one thing will change for the near future (it has nothing to do with the one week hiatus, just something I have been meaning to change and this is a good time to do it)...

Until further notice, TGIF scenarios will be posted on the day of TGIF (Friday), just before game time (anywhere from several hours to just prior). The posting will be mainly for the host to get the scenario.

(This thread will still be used as normal to discuss the scenarios that are played, of course.)

Why the change?

Several years ago Sean and I used to pick the the TGIF scenario at game time, with no advanced noticed. I was solicited by members of the community to change this and post the scenario earlier in the week so that COs would have time to look at it and figure out if they would volunteer, and so that they could come up with a plan, but frankly, there just isn't enough CO volunteering anymore to justify the extra effort to post the scenario early.

The CO participation at this point is disappointing. Currently there is actually a negative impact to the TGIF experience from posting the scenario days in advance. Not only does it take time and effort to post early to little effect (of not having more CO volunteers), but also because we almost always end up with one volunteer to CO, and they usually end up with a meticulous plan, with units being positioned in precise places, and some other guy (usually me) that gets stuck with CO'ing the other side. This is an unacceptable mismatch. Secondarily, we also end up with cases where people tend to look over the opposing side a bit too much - all of us have probably done this at some point.

So, until we get to a point that we have more/different people volunteering to CO, then I will post the scenario early again. Until then, I will save me some wasted effort and all CO's will just have to be on the same spontaneous plan footing.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Colebrook said:

Is using an old saved plan allowed?. Because  i have meticulous plan, with units being positioned in precise places for almost all TGIF missions.

Sure it is allowed. Anything that was done prior to this point was fine, otherwise I would have said something about it. The issue at this point is simply the lack of CO volunteers.

But if anyone has an old plan that matches the version of the scenario (I assume it will not load it if it doesn't - at least that used to be true), then it can be used.

I would if I could. Speaking as one of the new guys, then my problem is lack of relevant knowledge.

I have plenty of military experience - just not the right kind. And limited knowledge of SB parameters.

Being CO for experienced players frankly to me is pretty daunting: dont wanna waste peoples time or fuck it up ...

Edited by Nike-Ajax

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

I would if I could. Speaking as one of the new guys, then my problem is lack of relevant knowledge.

I have plenty of military experience - just not the right kind. And limited knowledge of SB parameters.

Being CO for experienced players frnakly to me is pretty daunting: dont wanna waste peoples time or fuck it up ...

Yeah, I know how you feel. We certainly have plenty of "old hands" that could CO, we just need them to share the burden.

• Moderators

26 MAY scenario:

The Three Sisters 2013-UKvDE-4019-OMU

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

• Moderators

2 JUN scenario:

Convoy Ops 01-Multiside-4019

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No
  • Need three COs, BLUE & GREEN vs RED.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

• Moderators

9 JUN scenario:

Warlords of Paderborn-4019a

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No
  • Need four COs, BLUE vs RED vs GREY vs GREEN
  • As stated in the briefing, no alliances should be made as it is not in the spirit of the scenario (there is only one winner).

NOTES:

5 minutes ago, Volcano said:

9 JUN scenario:

Convoy Ops 01-Multiside-4019

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No
  • Need four COs, BLUE vs RED vs GREY vs GREEN
  • As stated in the briefing, no alliances should be made as it is not in the spirit of the scenario (there is only one winner).

NOTES:

Warlords of Paderborn-4019.zip

There's something wrong with that scenario, it comes up with this error in the log if you try to host it:

[20:48:18,482] ERROR: Custom map folder 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain\#Scenario extracted maps' does not exist!
[20:48:18,482] ERROR: Custom map folder 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain\#Scenario extracted maps' does not exist!
[20:48:18,482] ERROR: *** Failed Reading Tag: 4
[20:48:20,304] ERROR: Custom map folder 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain\#Scenario extracted maps' does not exist!
[20:48:20,304] ERROR: Custom map folder 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain\#Scenario extracted maps' does not exist!
[20:48:20,304] ERROR: *** Failed Reading Tag: 4

• Moderators

16 JUN scenario:

!Conglomerate Steel-Leo2-4019-OMU

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No, unless the sides are very unbalanced.

NOTES:

• Moderators

23 JUN scenario:

Peredovoy Otryad '83 v.0.24

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No.

NOTES: