CNC Type 99

Lt DeFault

3 hours ago, tankenator said:

Wasted quite a bit of billet doing that.....castings would be better

No, they're diddy little things.

And it looks like they're made from standard engineering grade materials (EN8 / 080M40 steel or 60 or 70 series aluminium).

Then the cost of commissioning a die for casting ( + maintenance & rental or purchase costs for the forges)  would far out strip the cost of machining from ready made off the shelf bar.

Especially for a desk toy size thing.

If its China, well you're talking, 250 USD for a 3m length of 12" round bar.

Peanuts compared to the faff of sourcing bespoke cast material.

(and that's if you're getting ripped off too. :)  )

Especially considering economies of scale you would need to make hundreds of thousands of kits / products before you break even.

For a one off sure, sand casting would work.

But i'd probably still go with COTS.

Edited by Hedgehog

You have to show me a £70000 model because I need to see that before I can believe it.  Nothing in their store comes near that figure.  I can imagine a price like that if they produced a fully functional tank, inside and out, in 1/6 scale.  That would be freakin awesome.

when i was a child i took a tour of BMY (Now BAE) in york Pennsylvania.  I remember them having a model of an M110 produced by the apprentices as part of their training, each class would produce something else.  Everything except the motor worked, all the cranks elevation, individual track links etc.  That was an impressive model!

The most expensive scale model tank I ever viewed was a gold plated CR-1 (I would say it was about 1/16 scale)

built for the Shah of Iran by Vickers I think after he placed an order for the CR-1

It was on display at bovington tank museum. funny I haven't seen it in yeas my guess It was melted down.

• 2 weeks later...