What is the Codemeter Runtime Server For?

Werewolf

Got tired of telling Win7 that NO codemeter runtime server didn't have permission to make changes to my computer. SB Pro PE 4.010 still ran just fine so I set it to not load at all using the config.msi panel.

That made me wonder just what the heck good is it? What does it do? And is there a situation where I'll need to run it manually sometime?

8 hours ago, Werewolf said:

Got tired of telling Win7 that NO codemeter runtime server didn't have permission to make changes to my computer. SB Pro PE 4.010 still ran just fine so I set it to not load at all using the config.msi panel.

That made me wonder just what the heck good is it? What does it do? And is there a situation where I'll need to run it manually sometime?

Here is Wibu Systems' description: http://www.wibu.com/us/codemeter/codemeterruntime.html

Essentially, if you are running your CodeMeter on a LAN or WAN, it retrieves the licenses. If you aren't using that setup, it shouldn't have an effect on running Steel Beasts. The Runtime Server is harmless, so I never disable it and let it do its thing. 

Where you might need to enable it is if you have a secondary license, and you want to allow a friend to use your secondary license to try Steel Beasts. You can use the Runtime Server to allow him to access your secondary license over the Internet, and play Steel Beasts on his PC. He would not need a CodeMeter dongle to do this. 

Edited by Mirzayev